Education and Teaching for Health Care Professionals
Course code SNM661
15 credits at level 7
Who is it for?
Healthcare professionals who wish to develop their skills of teaching and assessing in the clinical environment.
NB: This is not mentor preparation
Overview of content:
- Educational theory
- Teaching and learning context
- Teaching methods
- Assessment and feedback
- Planning learning
What is it about?
This online unit aims to facilitate comprehensive understanding and develop participant’s knowledge regarding teaching and learning ideologies and practices, specifically in relation to health care environments. Learning styles, teaching strategies, assessment and evaluation will be explored, as well as issues related to curriculum development and the delivery in a variety of contexts. Quality and governance issues and the procedures necessary for review and application in the educational context will also be analysed.
How does it enhance practice?
Through completing the module the participant will be able to:
- Critically evaluate philosophical ideologies of education and how these influence learning and how students can be enabled to reach their full potential and develop life-long learning skills.
- Show critical understanding of professional policies, guidelines and governance regarding education and teaching.
- Critically explore student progression and assessment with a view to developing informed judgement within their own sphere of practice.
- Competently demonstrate a range of teaching methodologies that are appropriate to their work area and audience.
Mode of Assessment:
Assessment will through submission of a teaching presentation that will be accompanied by a detailed written teaching plan. This will be supported by a 2000 word academic assignment critically reflecting on informed judgement and student progression.
12-week course – Online – distance learning
8 February 2021
Application and Funding
To apply for this course you need to complete an online application form and you can do this by visiting our how to apply page. For an individual module a fees and funding form will automatically be sent on submission of your application form. When applying for a masters programme a funding form and details of funding options can be found on our Funding Page.
If successful in your application for the course you will receive a confirmation email closer to the start date.