ONLINE Introduction to Vaccination and Immunisation
Basic online training over two separate dates
This course runs 3 times a year.
Who is it for?
These study sessions are suitable for all registered healthcare professionals working in primary and secondary care settings who are aiming to confidently, competently, safely and effectively promote and administer vaccinations.
Please note: This course is not suitable for Health Care Assistants.
Overview of content:
- Principles of immunisation
- How vaccination works
- Types of vaccines
- Technique of administration
- Record keeping
- Vaccine storage and cold chain
- Childhood Immunisations
- Adult vaccinations
- Influenza vaccination
- Anaphylaxis management
- Local and national policy and epidemiology
- Signposting, resources and improving uptake of vaccines
- Peer learning and discussion around practice
What is it about?
The online supported study sessions (2.5 hours per session) are about the national immunisation programme; local epidemiology, patient group directions; consent; communication;storage and handling; vaccine incidents and current issues/changes to policy and of vaccine preventable diseases, the immune response; question and answer session.
How does it enhance practice?
Upon completion of the prior learning activities and the two study sessions, participants will receive a certificate to confirm participants will be up to date in relation to the above areas.
First day study session- 1.00pm - 4.00pm
Second day study session- 1.00pm - 4.00pm
In order for you to attend the Update Vaccination and Immunisation course, you will be required to log on to E-learning for Health. Please create an account if you do not have one.
You will need to complete the following modules:
- Communicating with patients, parents, and carers
- National immunisation policy and programmes
- Vaccine preventable diseases (VPD) (Introduction, MMR, Tetanus, diphtheria, Pertussis meningococcal, pneumococcal. You will also need to complete VPD that YOU will be delivering in your practice area, in accordance with the Complete Routine Immunisation Schedule
- Legal aspects
- Vaccine storage
- Vaccine administration
You will be asked to sign a declaration to confirm you have completed the e-learning.
6 & 8 July 2021 - CANCELLED
Future dates to be confirmed.
Application and Funding
If successful in your application for the course you will receive an offer email with the exact details of the location of teaching, closer to the start date.
For details of current tuition fees for self-funded or sponsored applicants please read our tuition fees overview.
Programme Leader/Contact Name:
Tel: +44 114 2222 072
Tel: +44 114 2222 098
Tel: +44 114 222 2037
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.