MMedSci Advanced Clinical Practice
- Specialist advanced clinical assessment module (30 credits) to include anatomy and physiology, consultation and history taking, clinical examination and advanced skills
- Evidence based Practice (15 credits) to explore the nature of knowledge and evidence and develop academic skills to underpin specialist practice
- Specialist clinical episode management (15 credits) final module of the year which builds knowledge and competence in the clinical management of common episodes of care.
- Independent Prescribing (30 credits) meets the requirements of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s Competency Framework to be an independent prescriber
- Clinical Leadership (15 credits) preparing ACPs to use theory and evidence to develop their clinical leadership with a focus on patient safety, human factors, quality improvements, and transformational leadership
- Specialist managing clinical complexities (15 credits) to review and synthesise clinical data in complex clinical situations and manage complexity and diagnostic uncertainty.
- Critical development of clinical practice (60 credits) submission of a 12,000 word in-depth and systematic review of the evidence in an area of clinical practice leading to the development of a service improvement proposal
- Critical development of clinical practice (40 credits) submission of a 6000 word in-depth literature review focused on an area of health and/or social care that is of interest to the student and employer.
- End point assessment (20 credits) has three components and includes a 2 hour open book examination, a 1,500 word presentation of practice followed by a 25 minute oral presentation
The content of our courses is reviewed annually to make sure it is up-to-date and relevant. Individual modules are occasionally updated or withdrawn. This is in response to discoveries through our world-leading research, funding changes, professional accreditation requirements, student or employer feedback, outcomes of reviews, and variations in staff or student numbers. In the event of any change we'll consult and inform students in good time and take reasonable steps to minimise disruption.
Information last updated: 28 June 2021
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.