Undergraduate FAQs

Here you will find answers to our most frequently asked questions, categorised under four areas. Click on a question to reveal the answer.

Q. Can you sleep in the library?

A. You are not supposed to.

Q. What is my registration number?

A. Your registration number is on your Ucard, it's the nine digit number beginning 12 (if you started your degree this year). It will be the nine digit number beginning 11 (if you started your degree in September 2011) or the nine digit number beginning 10 if you started your degree in September 2010.

Q. How do I find out tutors' office hours?

A. Lists of tutors’ office hours are displayed on noticeboards in the History Wing, Jessop West and on the History Online, accessed through MOLE. They can also be accessed on individual staff profiles and here.

Q. How do I find out who my Personal Tutor is?

A. Level One students meet their Personal Tutor in Intro Week. Lists of personal tutors are also put on the noticeboards in the department and on the History Online noticeboard accessed via MOLE.

Q. Can you remind me how to get my library pin?

A. The Library pin is the same as your ucard pin which can be obtained from here.

Q. Who do I see to change degree?

A. The departmental website has the most up to date information here.

Q. What do I do if I want to change module?

A. If you want to change History modules, you need to speak to Rebecca Freeman who will be able to tell you which modules have spaces and also if your change is in line with your degree requirements.

If you want to change another department’s module, you should go and speak to that department as it may be a different process than the one in History.

Q. How competitive is it to try and qualify for study abroad?

A. It is difficult to say and varies each year, depending on the number of people applying. You can find more information on the Erasmus and Study Abroad opportunities here.

Q. What will I need to be able to do a postgraduate degree?

A. A 2.1 or better.

Q. When do seminars start?

A. All seminars start in week 1, unless otherwise stated.

Q. When are the history reading weeks?

A. In week 7 in semester 1 and in week 12 in semester 2.

Q. How do I know which seminar group I am in?

A. For Level 1 students, you will sign up for semester 1 module seminar groups during registration. We will contact you in week 12 to make arrangements to register for semester 2 seminar groups, which will be through MOLE. For Level 2 and 3 students, you will be emailed with details of seminar sign-up near the beginning of term. In general, this will be through MOLE but for some modules it may take place in the first lecture.

Q. I am an English Literature & History student: do I still receive my reading week for my English course?

A. English have the same reading weeks as History.

Q. What do you do if you're ill for a seminar or lecture? Who do you tell? Is there any way of catching up?

A. You only need to record absences for seminars. If possible, you should let your seminar tutor know before the seminar. You should still do the allocated reading for the seminar and speak to your seminar tutor and fellow students about any content or handouts that you may have missed.

Q. If I have a lecture only a couple of hours before a seminar, will I have to cram in loads of work in between?

A. No, we stagger lecture and seminars, so the seminar related to that lecture would be the week after.

Q. Can I submit an essay by email?

A. The Department does not accept essays by email or fax – details about submitting essays can be found under Deadlines.

Q. Where can I get past examination papers?

A. Past examination papers are available on MOLE.

Q. Are essays submitted by name or registration number?

A. All essays for Level One modules are submitted by name. Essays for Level Two modules (except the second essay for HST202) are submitted by name. The second essay for HST202 and the Course Assignment (HST209) are submitted by registration number.

Q. Who do I speak to about an extension to the deadline for coursework?

A. All extensions are granted by the appropriate level tutors; extensions cannot be granted by the seminar tutor or course convenor.

Click below to contact the relevant tutor:

Level One Single Honours

Level One Dual Honours

Level Two Single Honours

Level Two Dual Honours

Level Three Single Honours 

Level Three Dual Honours

You can also access the University of Sheffield's FAQ database below which contains answers to hundreds of commonly asked questions.

Ask Sheffield FAQ Database