MA BannerMA BannerMA BannerMA BannerMA BannerMA Banner

Help and support

The Department of History is committed to supporting students throughout their time at University. This means both academic and pastoral support. The table below outlines some of the key services available to students.

Accessing support for a pre-existing medical condition

If you have pre-existing medical condition, whether it is physical or mental health related, it is important that you access support early on in your degree. This is particularly important for the MA programme due the first deadlines being in November and the short overall duration of the degree.

You should contact the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service, who will be able to offer advice about relevant support and, if appropriate, provide us with a Learning Support Plan. This will help ensure that we are able to offer you all of the support you need to make the most of the MA degree. A Learning Support Plan will also act as medical evidence should you need an extension for any of your assessed work. 

Sheffield graduates with existing Learning Support Plans

If you took your BA degree at Sheffield and had a Learning Support Plan (LSP) in place, you should still arrange to visit DDSS at the start of the academic year to review your support requirements and ensure that we have an up-to-date LSP that is relevant to the MA programme. Please note that your LSP from the BA degree will not automatically roll forward. 

Personal tutoring

The MA personal tutors for 2017-18 are Dr Siobhan Lambert-Hurley and Professor Benjamin Ziemann. You can find who your individual personal tutor is in the History Online Postgrad organisation in MOLE.

The MA Personal Tutor is one of your first points of contact in the University. They are available to discuss and support academic progression. They are also there to you with any difficulties you may be experiencing and point in you in the right direction for specialist help or any additional skills development you may be interested in.

Skills development

A range of resources to help you develop your academic skills including study techniques, avoiding unfair means and information skills workshops available through the library; the 301: Skills Development Centre and the Writing Advisory Service.

Absences and attendance

Information about what to do if you're ill or experience other circumstances that may cause you to miss a seminar. 

You can view our attendance policy here.

Harassment and Bullying

The Harassment Officer is Beky Hasnip. You are also able to speak to Dr Colin Reid, if you would prefer. 

The University considers all forms of harassment to be extremely serious and is committed to eliminating harassment experienced by students or staff and will take steps to investigate complaints thoroughly. Please feel free to consult the harassment officers; your personal tutor; your supervisor; the Director of Graduate Studies or any other member of the History Department, if you have concerns.

Thinking of taking a break or leaving?

Thinking of leaving University or need some time out, these pages offer advice on the next steps.


SSiD have extensive knowledge of University processes and are able to help with a wide range of queries. SSiD also provide certifying letters, council tax exemption letters and other useful documents.


A useful SSiD resource, which points you in the right direction for information about welfare and support issues.

Student Advice Centre

The Student Advice Centre is a professional, impartial, confidential and non-judgemental service run by the Students' Union providing free advice, support and representation in areas such as housing, money, immigration as well as a range of other issues.

University Health Service

This medical practice is for students of the University of Sheffield.

Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS)

If you have an existing disability related to physical health, mental health or a specific learning difficulty you should get in touch with the DDSS as soon as possible.

The DDSS is a confidential and friendly service offering a range of support. They will be able to work with you, and us as your academic department, to make sure you have all the support you need.

Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS) 

SAMHS is the first point of contact for students to explore a broad range of mental health support needs in a single triage appointment.

You should access this service if you develop a new mental health concern during the course of your studies or if you experience an exacerbation of an existing condition. 

The service is staffed by experienced mental health professionals who will be able to discuss your support needs with you and direct you to the most appropriate form(s) of support such as DDSS, the Counselling Service or the University Health Service.

Sheffield University Nightline

Nightline is a telephone listening service run by trained student volunteers. They are anonymous, confidential and non-directive. They do not judge anybody and are always happy to listen. No problem is too big or too small!

Students' Union Representatives

Students' Union officers and councillors are there to represent you.

Essential guide for international students

Support and guidance for international students.

Essential guide for mature students

Advice and support specifically aimed at mature students.

Still not sure who to ask? Come to the History Reception where staff will be happy to help with your query.