PhD BannerPhD BannerPhD BannerPhD BannerPhD Banner


Help and support

The Department of History is committed to supporting students throughout their time at University. This means both academic and pastoral support. The table below outlines some of the key services available to students.

Who can I talk to if I have a problem? 

The Director of Graduate StudiesDr James Shaw, is one of your first points of contact in the University.

Personal tutors

The PhD personal tutor is Dr James Shaw, you are also welcome to speak to the MA Personal Tutor, Dr Siobhan Lambert-Hurley, if you would prefer to speak to a woman. Personal tutors are available to discuss and support your academic progression. They are also there to you with any difficulties that you might experience during your research and point in you in the right direction for specialist help or any additional skills development you may be interested in.

You are also more than welcome to approach other members of academic staff, if you would feel more comfortable talking to a particular staff member. RIS guidance on complaints and appeals is also available on their webpages.

Skills development

A range of rescoures to help you develop your academic skills including study techniques, avoiding unfair means and information skills workshops available through the library; the 301: Skills Development Centre and the Writing Advisory Service.

Financial support

Information about internal and external sources of financial support for your research.

What to do if you're ill

Information about what to do if illness affects your research.

Thinking of taking a break or leaving?

Thinking of leaving University or need some time out, these pages offer advice on the next steps.

Harassment and Bullying

The departmental harassment officer is Beky Hasnip.

The University considers all forms of harassment to be extremely serious and is committed to eliminating harassment experienced by students or staff and will take steps to investigate complaints thoroughly. Please feel free to consult the harassment officer; your supervisor; the Director of Graduate Studies, the Director of MA Programmes or any other member of the History Department, if you have concerns.


SSiD have extensive knowledge of University processes and are able to help with a wide range of queries. SSiD also provide certifying letters, council tax exemption letters and other useful documents.


A useful SSiD resource, which points you in the right direction for information about welfare and support issues.

Student Advice Centre

The Student Advice Centre is a professional, impartial, confidential and non-judgemental service run by the Students' Union providing free advice, support and representation in areas such as housing, money, immigration as well as a range of other issues.

University Health Service

This medical practice is for students of the University of Sheffield.

Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS)

If you have an existing disability related to physical health, mental health or a specific learning difficulty you should get in touch with the DDSS as soon as possible.

The DDSS is a confidential and friendly service offering a range of support. They will be able to work with you, and us as your academic department, to make sure you have all the support you need.

Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS) 

SAMHS is the first point of contact for students to explore a broad range of mental health support needs in a single triage appointment.

You should access this service if you develop a new mental health concern during the course of your studies or if you experience an exacerbation of an existing condition. 

The service is staffed by experienced mental health professionals who will be able to discuss your support needs with you and direct you to the most appropriate form(s) of support such as DDSS, the Counselling Service or the University Health Service.

Sheffield University Nightline

Nightline is a telephone listening service run by trained student volunteers. They are anonymous, confidential and non-directive. They do not judge anybody and are always happy to listen. No problem is too big or too small!

Students' Union Representatives

Students' Union officers and councillors are there to represent you.

Essential guide for international students

Support and guidance for international students.

Essential guide for mature students

Advice and support specifically aimed at mature students.

Still not sure who to ask? Come to the History Reception where staff will be happy to help with your query.