PhD BannerPhD BannerPhD BannerPhD BannerPhD Banner


Help and support

The Department of History is committed to supporting students throughout their time at University. This means both academic and pastoral support. The table below outlines some of the key services available to students.

Who can I talk to if I have a problem? 

The Director of Graduate Studies, is one of your first points of contact in the University. In the 2018-19 academic year the Director of Graduate Studies Dr Charles West.

Personal tutors

The Director of Graduates Studies is also the personal tutor for PhD students. You are also welcome to speak to the MA Personal Tutor, if you would prefer to speak to a woman. Personal tutors are available to discuss and support your academic progression. They are also there to you with any difficulties that you might experience during your research and point in you in the right direction for specialist help or any additional skills development you may be interested in.

You are also more than welcome to approach other members of academic staff, if you would feel more comfortable talking to a particular staff member. University guidance on complaints and appeals is also available here.

Skills development

A range of resources to help you develop your academic skills.

Career Service

The Careers Service offers a wide range of information and services.

Financial support

Information about internal and external sources of financial support for your research.

What to do if you're ill

Information about what to do if illness affects your research.

Thinking of taking a break or leaving?

What to do if you are thinking of leaving University or need some time out. 

Accessing support for a pre-existing medical condition

If you have pre-existing medical condition - physical or mental health related - it is important that you access support early on in your degree. You should contact the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service, who will be able to offer advice about relevant support. It may also be helpful for you to discuss any support you might need with your supervisors and or the Director of Graduate Studies.

Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS)

If you have an existing disability related to physical health, mental health or a specific learning difficulty you should get in touch with the DDSS as soon as possible.

The DDSS is a confidential and friendly service offering a range of support. They will be able to work with you, and us as your academic department, to make sure you have all the support you need.

Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS) 

SAMHS is the first point of contact for students to explore a broad range of mental health support needs in a single triage appointment. The service is staffed by experienced mental health professionals.

You should access this service if you develop a new mental health concern during the course of your studies or if you experience an exacerbation of an existing condition. 

Sheffield University Nightline

Nightline is a telephone listening service run by trained student volunteers. They are anonymous, confidential and non-directive. They do not judge anybody and are always happy to listen. No problem is too big or too small!


SSiD have extensive knowledge of University processes and are able to help with a wide range of queries. They also provide certifying letters and other useful documents. The SSiD SOS pages can point you in the right direction for information about welfare and support issues.

Student Advice Centre

The Student Advice Centre is a professional, impartial, confidential and non-judgemental service run by the Students' Union providing free advice, support and representation in areas such as housing, money, immigration as well as a range of other issues.

Harassment and bullying

The University takes allegations of bullying and harassment extremely seriously and will support you fully in ensuring that the harassment or bullying ceases.

Hate crime

The University has a zero tolerance policy towards hate crime and wants to ensure that any students affected are able to access appropriate information and support.

Sexual violence

The University takes incidents of sexual violence very seriously and wants to ensure that any students affected are able to access appropriate information and support.

Students' Union Representatives

Students' Union officers and councillors are there to represent you.

Essential guides

Support and guidance specifically for international students and mature students.

Still not sure who to ask? Come to the History Reception where staff will be happy to help with your query.