HST398: Dissertation (short)
20 credits (semester 2)
Dissertations Co-ordinator: Professor Martial Staub
The dissertation is normally linked to a History module studied at Level 3. It is more unusual to choose a free-standing topic, though this may be possible, where supervision can be arranged within the department.
This module develops a student's skills in research, usually, though not exclusively, involving critical analysis of primary source materials, alongside advanced engagement with secondary literature. It requires students to demonstrate their ability in constructing a scholarly argument and sustaining discussion at greater length and at a more detailed level than in other points in the course.
Students are asked to submit:
- Introductory lecture: Wednesday 10 October 2018 at 1pm – The Diamond, Lecture Theatre 8.
- Library resources lecture: Wednesday 10 October 2018 at 4pm – The Diamond, Lecture Theatre 1.
- Dissertation registration form deadline: Friday 19 October 2018 by 12 noon.
- Dissertation synopsis form deadline: Friday 15 February 2019 by 12 noon.
- Dissertation submission deadline: Wednesday 01 May 2019 by 12 noon.
Forms are available on the Undergraduate Information table, here (right hand side) and on MOLE in the HST398 folder.
For further information regarding dissertations please click on the link below to download the dissertation guidelines document.