Why choose Sheffield?
We are one of the largest, most active and successful centres for teaching and historical research both in the UK and internationally. Studying History at Sheffield allows you to explore great events, extraordinary documents, remarkable people, and long-lasting transformations, from the ancient period to the modern day, and across the globe. Our teaching has been highly rated by both students and external auditors, and we combine this with consistently excellent ratings in research.
Undergraduate history at a glance
We value excellence in both teaching and research, ensuring we use the most up-to-date digital resources. We are particularly proud to offer our students:
- Cutting-edge course content with research-led teaching from world-leading academics
- A flexible degree structure with an excellent choice of modules covering a wide variety of periods, locations, themes and approaches
- A degree programme carefully designed to develop your skills as an independent historian - from first year core modules, supporting your transition from school to university, to writing an original research-led dissertation in your final year
- A third year special subject which offers a unique combination of intensive teaching and small class sizes, running over the full academic year
- Innovative teaching resources
- The opportunity to gain a wide range of transferable skills leading to successful careers in areas such as law; the media; marketing; heritage; business management; government and teaching.
Outstanding student satisfaction
The National Student Survey is the students' voice, so we're especially proud to have received satisfaction of over 90% for the sixth year running in 2016.
A world-class reputation
Our academic reputation means that we are ranked third in the UK for our world-leading research and in the world's top 100 history departments.