Why choose Sheffield?
We are one of the largest, most active and successful centres for teaching and historical research both in the UK and internationally. Studying History at Sheffield allows you to explore great events, extraordinary documents, remarkable people, and long-lasting transformations, from the ancient period to the modern day, and across the globe. Our teaching has been highly rated by both students and external auditors and we combine this with consistently excellent ratings in research.
“I really cannot fault the programmes at Sheffield. The Department should be held up as an example of exemplary practice across the institution and beyond. It was an absolute pleasure to read the dissertations. Such a rich selection of original subjects – this is a testament to the programme and to the students Sheffield is able to attract.”
MA External Examiner 2015
Masters history at a glance
We value excellence in both teaching and research, ensuring we use the most up-to-date digital resources.
- Innovative and intellectually stimulating, research-led teaching from world-renowned academics
- Flexible degree structure
- Excellent range of modules covering a wide variety of periods, locations, themes and approaches
- Career-focused modules designed to enhance your skills in areas like public history and historical writing
- Our graduates are successful both in further study and a wide range of careers from lecturing and working in the museum, tourism or heritage industry to business management and marketing
- Dedicated MA for PhD preparation
- Specialist supervision in a wide range of research areas
- An active community. Our students run a postgraduate forum and organise regular discussion groups
Outstanding student satisfaction
The National Student Survey is the students' voice, so we're especially proud to have received satisfaction of over 90% for the sixth year running in 2016.
A world-class reputation
Our academic reputation means that we are ranked third in the UK for our world-leading research and in the world's top 100 history departments.