Before you apply
We encourage you to contact the member of staff that you would like to work with before you submit an application. If you are planning on applying for funding, it is particularly important to start discussions with your potential supervisor as early as possible, giving you plenty of time to work on your ideas for the research project and get their advice on how to shape it into a strong proposal.
You can also contact our Director of Graduate Studies, Dr Charles West, or our Admissions and Postgraduate Support Manager, Beky Hasnip, for more general advice. You will also find answers to frequently asked questions on our common questions webpage.
To apply to study for a PhD with us, you will need to make a formal application using the University’s online application form. We will not be able to process an application until we receive all of the required details, a research proposal and supporting documents.
Our aim is to deal with your application promptly, although most applications are considered by at least two members of staff and the process can take up to four weeks in total.
- I have a first degree at 2:1 or equivalent
- I have, or am currently be working towards, a Masters level qualification
- English is my first language or I have an overall IELTS grade of 7.0 with a minimum score of 6.5 in each component
- My research proposal is ready to upload
- Proof of current and previous degrees, academic references, English language certificates (if required), and CV are ready to upload