Maternity leave Lean process review
We are pleased to advise that a Lean review of the Maternity Leave process has been undertaken, in conjunction with the Process Improvement Unit, and involving Human Resources, Payroll and a departmental manager. The new process will 'go live' from Monday 5 August 2013.
At the same time we have also taken the opportunity to review the existing Paternity and Adoption Leave policies, and enhanced these by enabling surrogate parents to access these.
The key changes resulting from this work include:
- clearer and easier to complete notification forms
- provision of an on-line Maternity Calculator for staff considering their options regarding Maternity Leave
- removal of annual leave from the Maternity/Adoption and Paternity processes, providing greater flexibility as to when it is used
- a revised web-based Maternity Toolkit providing detailed support and guidance for staff and managers, including FAQs and flowcharts
- more streamlined processes enabling shorter response times, with the Payroll Team verifying eligibility to the leave/pay criteria and sending confirmation letters out; this will be supported by the new requirement that in Maternity cases the MATB1 certificate should be forwarded at the same time as the Notification Form.
Please note that confirmation of Ordinary Paternity Leave will continue to be provided via Human Resources, whereas confirmation of Additional Paternity Leave will be made by the Payroll Team as per the new processes.