Bank Holidays and University Closure Days; Principles for appropriate rota cover
With the exception of those staff operating within a 24hr/365 work area, all other staff will not normally be expected to attend work on Bank Holidays or University Closure Days.
The following principles should be followed by managers when allocating staff to work on bank holidays and University closure days. This may also include cover arrangements for those staff whose rotas include Saturday or Sunday working:
1. Wherever possible staff should not normally be expected to work on bank holidays or closure days unless there is a clear business requirement to do so.
2. Where staff are required to work then managers should decide in advance on the appropriate level of staffing and communicate this clearly to the respective team.
3. Consideration should normally be given to seeking volunteers before nominating staff to work.
4. Managers should ensure that the requirement to work/not work bank holidays or closure days is fairly distributed amongst the relevant pool of eligible staff.
5. Where bank holidays and University closure days reduce the required staffing levels on other working days e.g. Easter weekend for those staff whose normal working week includes Saturday or Sunday working, and where additional buildings/services may be shut, then the affected staff should normally be given at least 4 weeks’ notice or, where this is not possible, as much notice as is reasonably practicable . In such circumstances staff may choose to take the time as paid annual leave from their existing leave quota or may request to work the time in lieu where this is also in line with the needs of the business.
6. Where staff do not have sufficient pro-rata entitlement to time off for bank holidays, closure days or the days in between bank holidays where buildings/services are shut, then they may be required to take this as paid annual leave. Alternatives may include unpaid leave or agreeing to work the hours in lieu where the latter is also in line with the needs of the business.
7. All arrangements for working on bank holidays and closure days must ensure that staff receive their full contractual entitlements to all paid leave (annual leave, bank holiday and closure days).
8. All staff required to work on bank holidays or University closure days will be paid the appropriate premium rate and/or receive time off in lieu, in line with their terms and conditions of employment.