Saturday Open Days – Guidance for Staff
To facilitate staff attendance at Saturday open days during the 2018/19 academic year, the following provisions are available to those staff attending:
Recompense for staff who work on Saturday open days
Staff grades 1 to 6
Staff on grades 1 to 6 who work on a Saturday open day, outside of their normal contracted days, will be entitled to choose to receive overtime pay or take time off in lieu.
For those staff for whom Saturday working is not a normal part of their working pattern, time off in lieu will be offered for a full additional days leave irrespective of the hours they attend on a Saturday open day (in many cases the expectation is for attendance to last less than a normal working day).
Where a staff member chooses time off in lieu, this should be taken within a reasonable timeframe (within a three month period) and at a mutually beneficial time agreed by the Department and employee locally.
Normally, premium rates of overtime pay are available only if the additional working hours takes an employee’s hours of work above 40 per week, or if the additional working hours fall on a sixth or seventh consecutive day of work. To support the successful provision of Saturday open days, and recognising that Saturday is likely to be considered a rest day for most staff who normally work between Monday and Friday, those at grades 1-6 whether full time or part time, will be able to choose to be paid either at time and a half for the hours worked, or claim a full day off in lieu.
Staff grade 7 and above
Staff on grades 7 and above who work on a Saturday open day, outside of their normal contracted days will be entitled to take time off in lieu. This will be for a full additional days leave irrespective of the hours they attend on a Saturday open day (in many cases the expectation is for attendance to last less than a normal working day).
Time off in lieu should be taken within a reasonable timeframe (within a three month period) and at a mutually beneficial time agreed by the Department and employee locally.
Managers are encouraged to treat attendance at Saturday open days as they would for attendance at other mid-week open days in terms of recognising participation and time commitment within the departmental workload allocation model. Where this is built into the model it is recommended that, as with time off in lieu, a full day (irrespective of the hours the staff member attends on a Saturday open day) should be recognised. It is acknowledged that departments have different models and norms in defining and determining workload allocations.
Free onsite childcare is available for children aged 11 and under, from 9am until 4pm. The childcare is provided by 'Tinies', a registered childcare provider. Parents are required to provide a packed lunch and snacks for their child on the day.
If you are scheduled to attend one or more of the open days and require childcare, please email Sarah Statham (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible providing the following details:
- Dates of the open day(s) you are attending
- The age of your child/children
- The times that you will drop off and pick up your child/children on each date
- If your child / children have any special needs that require one to one care
- Confirmation that you are able to complete a registration form and supply to 'Tinies' either in advance of the day via email (email@example.com) or at drop off on the day.
Please note: Places are limited and offered on a first come, first served basis.
Further support for staff
- Free car parking for staff is provided in the Arts Tower car park for all Saturday open days. For the open day on 6th July 2019, the following car parks will also be open, available and free of charge (i.e. without any permits): Dart Square, Geography, and Bartolome (which will be closed from 4.30pm).
- Staff who already have a parking permit can park in other University car parks as they would during weekdays.
- Additional public transport travel costs incurred as a result of working on a Saturday open day will be reimbursed via the normal expenses claim process.