Disability Confident (previously Two Ticks)
The University is committed to attracting, growing and engaging with talented people from diverse backgrounds at every level. As part of this commitment the University recognises the importance of an inclusive University community, to ensure that all can flourish and reach their full potential.
The University of Sheffield is a certified Disability Confident Employer. Disability Confident is a government scheme designed to encourage employers to recruit and retain disabled people and those with health conditions.
Disability Confident is a recognition given by the Government's Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to employers based in Great Britain who have agreed to take action to meet thirteen commitments regarding the employment, retention, training and career development of disabled employees.
As a previous valued ‘two ticks’ employer, the University has automatically migrated to Level 2 - Disability Confident Employer.
The Key Commitments
The University of Sheffield is proud to have been accepted as a Disability Confident Employer. As such, we are required to meet the following 13 commitments:
- Actively look to attract and recruit disabled people
- Provide a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process
- Offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job
- Be flexible when assessing people so disabled job applicants have the best opportunity to demonstrate that they can do the job
- Make reasonable adjustments as required
- Encourage our suppliers and partner firms to be Disability Confident
- Ensure employees have sufficient disability equality awareness
- Promote a culture of being Disability confident
- Support employees to manage their disabilities of health conditions
- Ensure there are no barriers to the development and progression of disabled staff
- Ensure managers are aware of how they can support staff who are sick or absent from work
- Value and listen to feedback from disabled staff
- Review our Disability Confident self-assessment
As ever, we welcome your feedback on these initiatives and welcome your ideas of any other events or resources.
Please email us at email@example.com.