Planning for Retirement: Flexible Working
The University values flexibility within its workforce and recognises the importance of helping its employees to balance their work and personal life. Staff may wish to consider requesting flexible working to support their transition into retirement.
Working more flexibly as you approach retirement is a popular choice, as it provides individuals with a more gradual transition from work into retirement.
Before making the decision to take flexible retirement, it is important to consider the following:
- How will flexible retirement affect income before retirement?
- What impact will a drop in income have on my lifestyle approaching retirement?
- What impact will flexible retirement have on my role, department and colleagues?
- How will flexible retirement affect my pension contributions?
- How will flexible retirement affect my final pension income?
In line with the normal University procedure for requesting flexible working arrangements, staff should have an informal discussion with their manager in advance of submitting their request. This will enable you and your manager to explore how your proposed flexible working arrangements may be accommodated within your department.
For guidance on the process for Flexible Retirement, please see: Flexible Retirement Flowchart
For further information and guidance about requesting flexible working arrangements, please see: Flexible Working