Your Personal Data - Providing HMRC with Real Time Information (RTI)

What is RTI?

RTI is a legislative change introduced by the Government. The University is required to comply with RTI from August 2013. Under RTI, your tax information as well as other deductions under Pay As You Earn (PAYE) will be transmitted to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by the University every time you are paid rather than at the end of each tax year as under previous regulations. This will allow the HMRC to have a detailed and accurate picture of your earnings throughout the year allowing them to adjust tax codes if necessary. This will prevent over or under payment of tax, which would then need to be adjusted at the end of the tax year.

How will it affect me?

The Department of Work and Pensions propose to use RTI data to support the operation of Universal Credit. Therefore there will be an impact on individuals in receipt of in and out of work benefits from October 2013 as RTI will be used to calculate entitlement.

RTI relies on the transmission of accurate information by the University to HMRC. Therefore it is of vital importance that you keep your personal information up-to-date. You can view and maintain your record by accessing your Personal Profile in myJob.

If you are a Casual Worker you do not have access to myJob. Instead update your records using processes detailed here.

You should ensure that we hold the correct information for you, paying particular attention to:

  • National Insurance Number (this is shown on your payslip)
  • Correct Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Home Address, in addition to notifying Human Resources when you change address, you should update HMRC. Click here for information on how to contact them

If you are new to the UK then you can apply for a National Insurance Number here.

Human Resources and Finance will check the information we hold, however we may need to contact you to verify this data.

Over time, you will benefit from improvements in the accuracy of PAYE, for example, when changing jobs as submitting P45/46 information will not be required.

Where can I find out more?

Information supplied by the HMRC for Employees/Casual Workers is available on the right hand side of this page as a download.

You may also like to visit the HMRC's Website.