The title of `Honorary Reader´ is awarded as a mark of personal distinction in scholarship and research. This title is normally conferred for a period of three years in the first instance. The contribution that will be used to evaluate cases will include the following, as attested by external assessors:
- Evidence of excellence in the candidate’s professional field as shown by either standing in their profession or original research.
- Contributions to collaboration with an academic department at the University of Sheffield.
No remuneration is paid.
- Recommendation from the Head of Department, including a full CV and the names of persons whom the University Reward & Recognition Panel may approach for an external independent assessment of the case using the Independent External Assessors Form (see Downloads). The recommendation should indicate the period of tenure (up to 3 years).
- Assessors should be distinguished in their own field and be knowledgeable about the field of the candidate.
- Recommendations should, where possible, be submitted in line with the timetable for recommendations for Promotion to Personal Chairs/Conferment of the Title of Reader.
- The title of Honorary Reader will be considered and approved by the University Reward & Recognition Panel, after consultation with the Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellor and attestation by external assessors.
- The Department of Human Resources issue letter of confirmation.