Visiting Titles

Visiting titles are normally conferred on non University of Sheffield staff who may be seconded from another University/Industry or on individuals who make occasional visits to the University of Sheffield. The candidate must hold an equivalent level position. A Visiting title is normally conferred for a period of one year but may be for up to three years.

Procedure for inviting Academic Visitors to the University

A Notification of Academic Visitor form (available to download at the top right of this page), should be completed noting the visitor’s nationality. If the visitor is a national from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) contact your HR Team to discuss visa requirements. Head of Departments recommend an individual to the Faculty Director of Research & Innovation/Director of Learning & Teaching (as appropriate) using the above form. Once authorised, the form is forwarded to Human Resources. On receipt of the full set of information, your HR Team will write to the individual to confirm the conferment of the Visiting title and its duration.

UK Visas and Immigration's (UKVI's) Points Based System (PBS) for immigration

The following guidance sets out how the UKVI's points based system for immigration, effects the way in which the University engages with Academic Visitors (this applies to all visitors listed below) and other individuals from overseas who undertake work/activities at the University but who are not University employees (e.g. people who are invited to the University typically to perform research or undertake some other form of work). This guidance explains how the immigration legislation governs the way in which the University engages with these individuals, and the procedures that must be followed to satisfy the requirements of the UKVI. These guidelines do not encompass visiting research students, the registration of which falls within the remit of Student Services.

Visitors to the UK will be required to provide evidence that they are eligible to work in the UK. Nationals of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland can enter the UK without any restrictions and do not require a visa to enter the UK. For further information in relation to EEA visitors please see the link at the top right of this page. The UKVI states that a tourist visa is not sufficient. Any visitor arriving at the University with a tourist visa will not be permitted to visit. For guidance on appropriate visa for non EEA nationals please see the link at the top right of this page. Processing times for visa applications can vary and can sometimes take a number of weeks. It is therefore, important to liaise with Human Resources as soon as possible so as to avoid any unnecessary delays in the visit to the University.

Visiting Professor

Advanced Visiting Fellow

Visiting Scholar

Visiting Lecturer

Visiting Researcher