EU Settlement Scheme: Frequently asked questions

Browse questions on the EU Settlement Scheme. If you can't find the information you need, email us at:


Are citizens from the Republic of Ireland required to apply for settled status?

No, Irish citizens living in the UK are not required to obtain leave under the EU Settlement Scheme as their status in the UK is not linked to the UK’s membership of the EU. However, they may choose to do so if they wish. This includes those eligible for the private beta test phases.

Does it apply to Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland?

Yes. The EU Settlement Scheme will be open to citizens from these countries. Applications cannot be made during the next pilot phase of the scheme but can be submitted once the scheme is fully open, from 30 March 2019.

Does the EU settlement scheme extend to those with EEA family permits and related visas?

Yes. All those currently here under EU law (ie as an EU citizen or the family member of an EU citizen) will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (unless they are Irish or already have an immigration status under UK law). This includes those that hold a document issued under EU law, such as an EEA family permit or a permanent residence document. In this testing phase, only non-EU citizens who hold a biometric residence card issued under the EEA Regulations can apply.

Can employees take part in the pilot if they are not currently based in the UK, e.g. they are currently away on sabbatical overseas?

There is currently no provision for applications to be made from overseas, but as stated in the Statement of Intent we are looking to introduce this in due course. Those that are eligible to apply during the private beta but are not currently in the UK are welcome to come to the UK in order to make an application.

But applying as part of the private beta is optional. Those who do not do so may apply once the scheme rolls out more widely and at any time before the deadline of 30 June 2021, in line with the draft Withdrawal Agreement.


I've read that only android phones can be used to submit the application, is that correct?

The second private beta phase is testing the full online application process, which includes the EU Exit ID Document Check app which allows applicants with a chipped identity document to confirm their identity and the validity of their identity document remotely. This is currently only available on Android devices.

Applicants can of course choose, if they wish to do so, to use a family member or other’s Android device to access the EU Exit ID Document Check app. No personal data is stored on the phone at any time. The phone is used only to facilitate access to the app which is fully secure.

Applicants may make an appointment with Human Resources to come and use an Android device. Please email to make an appointment.

Applicants can complete the remainder of the online application process on any smartphone, tablet or computer. This includes using Apple devices.

What specification does the android device need to be?

You’ll need an Android smartphone or tablet (such as a Samsung, Google or Sony phone) with NFC (Near-Field Communication) to use the app.

Look in your phone settings to see if it has NFC. NFC is what the app uses to scan your document.

If you can use your phone to pay for things using ‘contactless’, this means it has NFC and you can use the app.

Your device will need:

  • Android 6.0 or above – you can find this in your device settings
  • at least 135MB of storage space to install the app
  • to be connected to 3G/4G or WiFi
  • NFC – you can find this in your device setting


What times are the Resolution Centre telephone lines staffed until?

You can call the Resolution Centre from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm, excluding public holidays, and on Saturday and Sunday between 9.30am and 4.30pm. You can contact the Resolution Centre on: 0300 123 7379.

Are the communications materials and/or support documents available in other languages?

Communications materials are not currently available in other languages. The Home Office will be using the pilot to further refine communications materials before having them translated. Translated guidance will be available when the scheme is fully open by 30 March 2019.

Application Process

Do I need to use my university email address to apply?

No. It is recommend using a personal email address if you have one as you will need access to your email account when making your application.

Can you save the form/process halfway through and come back?

Yes. The application can be saved at each stage so that you can return to complete it at a later time.

How do I get the result, it says a letter, but is this emailed? Posted?

You will receive confirmation of your status via email. Applicants will be granted a digital status which will be stored electronically by the Home Office. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK. This will enable you to prove your rights to others online, including employers and landlords. Further information will be included in a letter attached to the confirmation email.

Once the application is complete, what is the wait time for the result?

Current expected processing times will start to be published on GOV.UK later in December 2018.

How long roughly does it take to complete the application form?

Feedback from applicants on the speed and ease of the application process has been very positive with applicants taking on average around 20 minutes to complete their application.

Required Documentation

Is settled in this pilot only based on five years’ work or will periods self-employed and other qualified person categories be counted?

Settled status in the scheme is based on residence, not employment. There is no requirement to have been working or to have been a qualified person in any other category.

If the screen says you don't have 5 years records but you think you do, can scanned documents be uploaded or do they have to send via snail mail?

If the Home Office cannot confirm the entitlement to the status that the applicant claims via HMRC or DWP records the applicant will need to provide additional evidence of their residence. The Home Office state it will be straightforward for applicants to provide other evidence of their UK residence. Information on the broad range of evidence that can be used is available here:

You can upload photos or scans of documents as evidence of your UK residence.

Can you give some examples of documents that employees could upload to demonstrate their residency if they have gaps in the tax records?

A non-exhaustive list of acceptable evidence can be found here: This includes, bank statements, council tax bills, university or school fee invoices, rental agreements, payslips, and utility, phone, TV and internet bills.


How will someone who has permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain demonstrate this to be able to not have to pay?

It is a question within the application form. Applicants that have documented permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain will be asked to provide their reference number so that the Home Office can verify this status and their entitlement to a fee waiver.

What form will receipt of payment take?

Applicants will receive receipt of payment by email.

Will the University reimburse the cost of my application?

On Monday 21 January, the Prime Minister announced that EU citizens applying for the EU Settlement Scheme will not have to the £65 fee when the Scheme is fully rolled out by 30 March.

The Home Office have confirmed that anyone who has or will apply during the pilot phases will have their fee reimbursed. The Home Office will set out full details in due course. It is anticipated that the refund will be processed and returned to the main applicant.

The University will continue to reimburse the fee and will continue with our approach until the Home Office releases further information, at which point we will contact those who have been refunded by both the University and the Home Office to make suitable reclaimant arrangements.

For the time being please complete the expense form (also found on the right-hand side of the page), attaching the receipt from UK Visas and Immigration and hand deliver or post via the internal mail to Human Resources, Level 1, Arts Tower. HR will complete the cost code section, so please leave this blank.

Please note that due to HMRC regulations, the payment is subject to tax and National Insurance contributions. The taxable deduction will be visible on your payslip.

The Visa Loan Scheme can be used to help spread the costs of dependents applying for the EU Settlement Scheme. Please see here for more information.

After the pilot/after settled status is granted

How does someone with settled status show right to study or right to work to a new employer?

Your status will be stored electronically by the Home Office. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK. You will be able to prove your rights to others online, including employers and landlords. EU citizens can continue to demonstrate their entitlement to work, study etc using their EU passport or ID card until 31 December 2020.

What will be the process for British citizenship following approval of settled status?

The process will remain the same as it currently is: generally (unless you are married to a British citizen) applicants must have been free from immigration time restrictions for 12 months before they are eligible to apply for British citizenship. Unless the applicant already has permanent residence, this 12 months will generally start from the date that settled status under the scheme is granted.

If someone was granted pre-settled status because they had been here for 3 years, could they then apply for settled status in 2 years time?

Yes. Pre-settled status is granted for five years. During that five-year period you can apply for settled status as soon as you’ve lived in the UK for five continuous years. You will not need to pay a fee for this subsequent application if it is made after March 2019.

If an individual has been resident for 4 years and is granted pre-settled status would this automatically change to settled status after one more year?

No, your status will not change automatically. You will need to apply for settled status once you become eligible to do so. However, you will not need to pay a fee for this subsequent application if it is made after March 2019.

Can someone who took part in the pilot and got settlement status, then withdraw at a later date? No – once immigration status has been granted it can only be lost if it lapses through absence from the UK or if it is revoked, for example because of criminal conduct.