Support for non-UK EU staff

Eu flags

Non-UK EU staff can access a range of support and advice provided by the University regarding information on their status in the UK following the Brexit vote.

Information on  EU Settlement Scheme

The Government set out its proposal for the EU Settlement Scheme under the draft Withdrawal Agreement. The scheme is open to EU citizens and their families, who can apply for either settled or pre-settled status, guaranteeing them the same rights to continue living and working indefinitely in the UK after 31 December 2020.

At the moment, although negotiations between the UK Government and European Commission still continue, the Government has made a decision to start testing the proposed Settled Status Scheme, before it officially opens at the current proposed time of the end of March. 

The University will continue to provide the latest updates on the roll-out of Settled Status, including a number of information sessions up to March 2019.

Find out more about Settled Status

Settled Status Pilot

The Government announced that a new phase of the EU Settlement Scheme pilot from 1 November - 21 December 2018. The new phase will include staff in all eligible Higher Education Institutions - this includes eligible staff in the University of Sheffield.

You can find out more detailed information including eligibility for the pilot on the Government web page.

Applying for settled status as part of this phase of the pilot is entirely voluntary and a decision for individuals to make. The University will reimburse the £65 fee for making an application. Please complete this expenses form (also on the right-hand side of the page), attaching the receipt from UK Visas and Immigration and hand deliver or post via the internal mail to Human Resources, Level 1, Arts Tower.

Find out more about the Settled Status pilot

Information session on Settled Status

The information session and application workshop with an immigration expert takes place on 6 December 2018. Although the event is fully booked, the slides and a recording of the session will be shared on this page.

Find out more

Financial Support

Settled Status

Staff who make an application for the new Settled Status scheme will be reimbured the £65 application fee, whether they decide to apply during the pilot phase or after March 2019.

Please complete this expenses form (also on the right-hand side of the page), attaching the receipt from UK Visas and Immigration and hand deliver or post via the internal mail to Human Resources, Level 1, Arts Tower.

Previous immigration schemes

If you wish to apply for a registration certificate or permanent residency instead of Settled Status, under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006, the University will also reimburse the associated fee of £65. Claims can be backdated to 23 June 2016.

Once you have applied for and received your registration certificate or permanent residency from UK Visas and Immigration, please complete an expenses claim form for staff and attach the receipt from UK Visas and Immigration along with a copy of the registration certificate or permanent residency. Please hand deliver or post via the internal mail to Human Resources, Level 1, Arts Tower.

Legal Support

The University provides a legal helpline hosted by immigration specialists Penningtons Manches to help colleagues work out the best option for their own individual circumstances.

This helpline service can provide individual legal advice and is open for 15-minute individual appointments on Wednesdays between 12 noon and 2pm.

To request an appointment, please email with the subject ‘Appointment with Pennington Manches required’ and include your name and department in the email along with a preferred date and time. We will try to accommodate your preference where possible.

Practical Support, Information and Guidance

EU inbox

Colleagues are encouraged to send any questions or concerns regarding the impact on Brexit on their status or that of their family's to

One-to-one sessions

You can book an appointment to meet one-to-one with a HR Adviser to discuss your personal concerns by sending an email to

Drop-in sessions

If you would like to apply for the Settled Status pilot (please see above), HR will be holding drop-in sessions where you will have access to an Android phone to make your application and support from a colleague in HR. If you would like to book a session please email

Events and information sessions

The University has hosted a number of legal information sessions for staff on the implications of Brexit on immigration.

There will be a Settled Status Pilot session on Thursday 6 December 2 - 4pm. Although this session is now fully booked, a recording and slides from the session will be added to this page following the event.

The most recent session took place on Wednesday 25 April 2018, led by immigration expert Hazar El-Chamaa from Penningtons Manches. A recording of the session is available, as are the slides. (This is for staff only – you'll need to be logged into Muse/your staff Google account to access.)

The first information session was held on Friday 21 October 2016. Watch a recording of the session (for staff only – access as above).

The information provided for the first session held is correct as of 21 October 2016, and for the second session, as of 25 April 2018. The information for both sessions does not constitute legal advice. Before proceeding with any application, staff are advised to check the website for up-to-date information and seek legal advice as needed.

Timeline of key dates

Please find a break-down of the key dates concerning the Government's EU Settlement Scheme.

From 15 November 2018

You’ll also be able to apply for Settled Status if you’re:

  • Employed by or work at a higher education institution or overseas higher education institution in the UK which is classified as such on the Tier 4 Register of Licensed Sponsors.
  • A child under the age of 18 being looked after by one of the local authorities involved in the pilot, or you’re eligible for support or assistance from one of those local authorities because you were looked after by them as a child.
  • Receiving support from one of the community organisations involved in the pilot

From 29 November 2018

You’ll also be able to apply if you’re employed by or work at an organisation in the health or social care sector in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

Full details of the employers participating in this stage of the pilot in each part of the UK are available in the Immigration Rules. There are some differences which reflect devolved responsibility for health and social care.

You must make your application before 22 December 2018 if you wish to obtain status under the scheme during this pilot phase.

Otherwise you can apply later once the scheme opens publicly. The scheme will be fully open by 30 March 2019.

30 March 2019

EU Settlement Scheme open to all EU citizens.

31 December 2020

Last date of transition period.

30 June 2021

Deadline for all applications to the settlement scheme. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member with settled or pre-settled status in the UK.

Celebrating our EU staff

A Part of Sheffield

Through our photography exhibition 'A Part of Sheffield' we are sharing and celebrating the stories of non-UK EU staff who have made a life and home in Sheffield. The photography exhibition shows staff at work and in the places they care about in Sheffield.

The project evolved from consultation and engagement with our non-UK EU staff, who wanted to share their sense of belonging to the City and the communities in which they live, work and socialise, whilst highlighting their personal concerns about the vote to leave the EU and the sense of uncertainty and change that this has brought.

View the images