Preparing for the Programme
GROW Programme Briefings
Want to find out more? We’re running briefing sessions that will help you to understand what to expect from the GROW Programme; as a mentee, mentor, or both.
You will find out what mentoring is (and what it’s not), how the programme works and how to set and support realistic mentoring objectives.
Setting SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely) objectives is an important step in the GROW process as it gives you a focus for the programme which you can see your progress against and it also helps the GROW team to match mentees with the right mentor.
This introductory briefing is designed for colleagues joining the GROW programme for the first time and for returning mentees, to help you get the best out of the GROW experience.
This session is compulsory for new recruits, joining either as a mentee, a mentor, or both. However, as we have now held the last of this year's live briefings, we have recorded the below session so that you can still view this before registering.
How to be an Effective Mentor
We have also released a digitally blended learning module aimed at colleagues who mentor others, and are doing so from a distance. This module will focus on the key skills, behaviours and attributes required to be an effective mentor; confidently supporting and advising others.
By completing this module, you will:
- Understand what mentoring is and how it contributes to organisational development
- Be able to set up and manage your mentoring meetings, considering ground rules, contracting, and agreeing SMART objectives and action planning
- Develop effective communication skills to support mentoring relationships (especially in a virtual environment)
- Build and manage trust with mentees
- Understand what other support is available for mentees that it can help to signpost to
We recommend that all GROW mentors (new and existing) complete this module to help you to get the best out of the GROW experience.
This module is accessible via Blackboard. To join this module please follow the instructions below:
1. To enrol and engage with this module please click this link to self-enrol on Blackboard.
(If you get an 'Access Denied' message, click on the 'Log In' button, and enter your usual username and password)
2. On the self-enrolment screen click 'Submit' and click 'OK' to complete the process.
3. Once enrolled, the course will appear in your Blackboard organisations list.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries or issues regarding this online training.