How to manage teams - wherever they are
A digitally blended learning module
This digitally blended learning module is aimed at colleagues who manage or supervise others, and are doing so from a distance. This module will focus on the key skills, behaviours and attributes required to effectively manage remote, agile or physically distanced teams.
The module has two learning sections - Core Learning and Additional Learning - to provide a clear and accessible approach to your development. The module uses varied resources and materials to appeal to all learning styles, and is broken down by duration, so that you can engage with them flexibly and at a time that meets your needs.
By completing all of the Core Learning, you will be able to:
- Build and manage trust with your team.
- Communicate effectively with teams and individuals, particularly managing performance and expectations in a virtual environment.
- Build and sustain collaborative teams working from a distance.
- Motivate and engage with individuals and teams effectively.
Please watch the welcome video for this course to find out more.
This module consists of two learning sections for you to consider:
Core Learning is designed to introduce you to how to manage teams well - wherever they are. We have provided dedicated and varied resources to encourage critical reflection and action planning. To ensure that it is flexible and accessible for all staff, we have broken this down by duration, as detailed below:
- When you have 5 minutes - We provide an introduction and overview of key principles and concepts related to the module topic, typically as a video or guidance document
- When you have 30 minutes - We provide further learning and instruction to deepen understanding, as well as encourage reflection, typically through use of videos, audio files, articles, quizzes and worksheets or workbooks.
- When you have 60 minutes or more - We provide opportunities for social learning, deeper reflection and encourage you to commit to action planning. Typically, this can be done through attending live development sessions, connecting with peers, coaches or mentors to consider learning and completing development or action plans.
To get the most out of this module, we recommend that learners engage with all of the Core Learning.
Additional Learning is available to assist you to think about specific and individual needs when managing teams from afar; we understand that all colleagues will have different situations, relationships, knowledge and experience. This space is designed to suit individual needs around specific module themes such as understanding neurodiversity, supporting mental health when working from home, promoting positive attitudes to disability, and many more curated materials. Again, we aim to support different types of learning by varying our resources - there are often videos, e-learning courses and guidance booklets available to support development in a way that suits the learner.
For this module there will be live development sessions available to complement the Core Learning, at various points in the year, bookable via LMS. Specialist colleagues from People Development will facilitate an interactive learning session for managers to explore how they can enhance and develop their skills in managing teams, wherever they are.
Please note that this blended digital learning is skills based. We do, however, recognise that learners may have questions or concerns regarding specific HR processes or policies that could relate to managing colleagues. To support these queries, we would recommend contacting local HR representatives directly.
This module is accessible via Blackboard, to join this module please follow the instructions below:
1. To enrol and engage with this module please click this link to self-enrol on Blackboard.
(If you get an 'Access Denied' message, click on the 'Log In' button, and enter your usual username and password)
2. On the self-enrolment screen click 'Submit' and click 'OK' to complete the process.
3. Once enrolled, the course will appear in your Blackboard organisations list.
Please ensure that you self-enrol on the module as soon as possible, as further links to the Blackboard content will be sent out to you.
The live development sessions are also bookable through LMS, but can be accessed alongside via Blackboard.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries or issues regarding this online training.
'How to manage teams - wherever they are' is part of the ‘How to’ series, that has been designed to support colleagues’ professional development around key organisational areas and challenges. A new module will be released regularly as part of the ‘How to’ series. You can find out more by visiting our 'How to' introduction page here.
You may be interested in our previous module on Wellbeing Conversations. To find out more please visit our How to have a Wellbeing Conversation web page.
The People Development team are committed to supporting professional development for colleagues, ensuring that modules are relevant within the current context and beyond, and are accessible and flexible. Should you have any queries or feedback please contact us at email@example.com.