Biological Agents & Genetic Modification
The University is committed to ensuring that the highest standards are achieved for all deliberate laboratory-based work with Genetically Modified (GM) Organisms and other biological material e.g. micro-organisms, cell cultures, parasites, human or animal tissue (including blood, urine and other body products) or plant material which give rise to a risk of infection, allergy or toxicity or are potentially hazardous to health. This is to safeguard the health and safety of staff and all persons that might be affected by those activities, and to protect the environment.
The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (CoSHH) and the University of Sheffield’s Biosafety Policy require all individuals working with certain higher risk biological agents - Hazard Group 2 - 4 and GMO Classes 2 - 4, are kept under health surveillance. This will mainly consist of a paper health screening form completed prior to starting work.
All individuals who work with certain higher risk biological agents - Hazard Group 2 - 4 and GMO Classes 2 - 4 are required to complete the HM11: Biological Agents & Genetic Modification questionnaire which can be downloaded via the downloads section on the right hand side of this page.
- The Project Supervisor must complete Section A of the form and then forward it to the individual proposed to work with working biological agents and GMO Classes
- The individual will then complete Section B, sign and date the form and forward to it to North02@healthmanltd.com
- HML clinical team will review the questionnaire and a 'FIT' certificate will be sent to email@example.com so that the employees details can be added to the Biosafety database. An electronic copy of the 'FIT' certificate will also be sent to the relevant Departmental Safety Officer.
If a Hepatitis B vaccination course, booster or blood test is required:
- The 'FIT' certificate will be sent to the University Health Service
- The University Health Service will contact the individual to arrange an appointment
The costs for all vaccinations are charged to the individual's department.