Legal and Professional Issues in Healthcare (SNM633)
Who is it for?
This module is suitable for all healthcare professionals with an interest in developing both an understanding of the ethical and legal context of their practice and an ability to address the challenges of practice in an ethically reasoned and justifiable way.
Overview of content:
What is it about?
• Theories and frameworks for ethical reasoning that are consistent with the specific needs of healthcare
How does it enhance practice?
Either as a primary care giver or manager of resources this unit will help in achieving ethically principled approaches to the treatment and care of patients. This unit will provide participants with;
• An understanding and appreciation of theoretical ethical frameworks supporting reasoned ethical decision making and how these are relevant and applicable to their practice
• An appreciation of what constitutes an ethical dilemma and how this may be resolved in an ethically principled way
• An appreciation of the professional, legal and ethical context within which healthcare is practiced and how this influences their relationships with patients, other professionals and employers
• A forum in which to identify and critically discuss ethical dilemmas in modern health care practice with fellow health professionals
Mode of Assessment:
Assessment will through submission of a 3000 word assignment that will focus on an ethical issue relevant to your practice situation. The assignment will require you to consider the issue in respect of its legal, professional and ethical context and apply relevant theory to its description, examination and resolution.
15 credits at level 7
12 week course – Online – distance learning
Start Date: 20 February 2020
Application and Funding
To apply for this course you need to complete an online application form and you can do this by selecting the "apply" link at the top right of this page. A fees and funding form will automatically be sent on submission of your application form. Details of funding options can be found on our Funding Page.
If successful in your application for the course you will receive a confirmation email closer to the start date.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery is based at Barber House, Glossop Road, Sheffield; opposite the Royal Hallamshire Hospital however teaching may take place across the University site. Please see a map below of the Central Campus.
Programme Leader/Contact Name:
Tel: 0114 222 2054