Leadership and Change Management in Healthcare (SNM639)
Who is it for?
Healthcare professionals who wish to see their service environment advancing and developing and who wish to become familiar with the key concepts of leadership and change management.
Overview of content:
What is it about?
Effective leadership and management in healthcare are recognised as key drivers in ensuring delivery of evidence based healthcare and improving the patient experience. Healthcare professionals need to be able to understand and, where appropriate, apply theory and research relating to management, leadership and team effectiveness. On completion of the unit students will be able to understand some of the key principles and concepts of management and leadership theory. They will be able to demonstrate ways in which established theory can inform management and leadership practice, but they will also have an appreciation of why it is sometimes difficult to apply these principles in health care organisations.
How does it enhance practice?
Through completing the module the participant will be able to:
- Identify and critically analyse the knowledge, skills and behaviours used to lead service development
- Critically evaluate service provision and develop appropriate strategies for leading the improvement of quality and service effectiveness
- Critically evaluate the leadership knowledge and skills required to develop the practice of self and others
- Critically analyse the skills required by leaders to empower others and contribute to their development
- Utilise appropriate theory and research to critically evaluate the factors that determine leadership and team effectiveness
Mode of Assessment:
The assessment for the module is a 3000 word written assignment. The focus of the assignment should be on the impact of management / leadership on change and the development of service delivery, reflecting the learning objectives of the module and related to your own area of clinical practice. Suggested topics will be provided during the course of the module.
15 credits at level 7
12 week course – Online – distance learning
Start Date: 10 February 2020
Application and Funding
To apply for this course you need to complete an online application form and you can do this by selecting the "apply" link at the top right of this page. A fees and funding form will automatically be sent on submission of your application form. Details of funding options can be found on our Funding Page.
If successful in your application for the course you will receive a confirmation email closer to the start date.
Programme Leader/Contact Name:
Tel: 0114 222 2054 Email: email@example.com