The history of the Sheffield Children's Hospital
The Sheffield Free Hospital for Sick Children was founded in 1876 by Dr William Jackson Cleaver in a rented property, Brightmore House, 222-224 Brook Hill. He was supported by John Dodsley Webster, an architect and surveyor, and by Henry Vickers, a solicitor and former Mayor of Sheffield. The formal decision to found the hospital was taken on 10 October and the hospital opened on 15 November 1876. There was some opposition to the new hospital. There were already three charitably maintained hospitals in the city - The Royal Infirmary, founded in 1797, The Royal Hospital, founded in 1832 and the Jessop Hospital for Women, founded in 1864. The economy was depressed and many wondered whether the city could support the new Children's Hospital. At a national level, no less a figure than Florence Nightingale was still advocating that sick children should be placed in adult wards. Brightmore House soon became inadequate for the growing demands upon the hospital and in 1880 it moved to new accommodation at 267 and 269 Western Bank, changing its name to the Children's Hospital. The further developments of the next hundred years are shown in the table and documented in 'Up the Hill to Western Bank, a History of the Children's Hospital, Sheffield, 1876-1976' by Peter Harvey.
1 February 2012