Dr David Buttle BSc PhD
Reader in Matrix Biology
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
The University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9516
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 3892
Secretary: Mrs Susan Clary
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9503
I began my career as a technician before obtaining, in 1978, a Research Fellowship at Shriners Burns Institute & Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, U.S.A. From 1982 I held research posts in the Department of Biochemistry, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge, after which I became a post-doctoral Research Fellow with the Arthritis & Rheumatism Council. In 1993 I was appointed to a Senior Lecturer post at The University of Sheffield Medical School then as Reader in Matrix Biology in 2000.
My major interest is in proteolytic enzymes and extracellular matrix turnover, with principal funding from Arthritis Research UK, The Wellcome Trust, MRC and the Dunhill Medical Trust.
I teach in the musculoskeletal module of the MBChB degree course, as well as on the Molecular Medicine and Translational Oncology MSc courses.
I am a member of the following Learned Societies:
- The Biochemical Society.
- British Society for Matrix Biology (formerly British Connective Tissue Society).
- Glycosaminoglycans as modifiers of protein localisation and function.
- Developing new aids for cartilage regeneration.
- Proteoglycans – functions and turnover.
- Developing plant cysteine proteinases as anthelmintics.
- The importance of the stromal compartment in cancer progression.
- Proteinases in kidney fibrosis.
For Key Publications see below. For full list of publications click here.
- Staines KA, Javaheri B, Hohenstein P, Fleming R, Ikpegbu E, Unger E, Hopkinson M, Buttle DJ, Pitsillides AA & Farquharson C (2017) Hypomorphic conditional deletion of E11/podoplanin reveals a pivotal role in osteocyte dendrite elongation. Journal of Cellular Physiology. View this article in WRRO
- PHIRI AM, DE POMERAI DI, BUTTLE DJ & BEHNKE JM (2017) A novel assay for the detection of anthelmintic activity mediated by cuticular damage to nematodes: validation on Caenorhabditis elegans exposed to cysteine proteinases. Parasitology, 144(5), 583-593. View this article in WRRO
- Staines KA, Prideaux M, Allen S, Buttle DJ, Pitsillides AA & Farquharson C (2016) E11/Podoplanin Protein Stabilization Through Inhibition of the Proteasome Promotes Osteocyte Differentiation in Murine in Vitro Models. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 231(6), 1392-1404. View this article in WRRO
- Mansur F, Luoga W, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Lowe AE & Behnke JM (2016) The anthelmintic efficacy of natural plant cysteine proteinases against the equine tapeworm, Anoplocephala perfoliata in vitro. Journal of Helminthology, 90(05), 561-568.
- Luoga W, Mansur F, Lowe A, Duce IR, Buttle DJ & Behnke JM (2015) Factors affecting the anthelmintic efficacy of papaya latex in vivo: host sex and intensity of infection. Parasitology Research, 114(7), 2535-2541.
- Mansur F, Luoga W, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Lowe A & Behnke JM (2015) The anthelmintic efficacy of natural plant cysteine proteinases against the rat tapeworm Hymenolepis diminuta in vivo. Journal of Helminthology, 90(03), 284-293.
- LUOGA WENCESLAUS, MANSUR FADLUL, STEPEK GILLIAN, LOWE ANN, DUCE IANR, BUTTLE DAVIDJ & BEHNKE JERZYM (2015) Host genetic influences on the anthelmintic efficacy of papaya-derived cysteine proteinases in mice. Parasitology, 142(07), 989-998.
- Luoga W, Mansur F, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Garnett MC, Lowe A & Behnke JM (2015) The relative anthelmintic efficacy of plant-derived cysteine proteinases on intestinal nematodes. Journal of Helminthology, 89(02), 165-174.
- Mansur F, Luoga W, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Lowe A & Behnke JM (2015) The anthelmintic efficacy of natural plant cysteine proteinases against Hymenolepis microstoma in vivo. Journal of Helminthology, 89(05), 601-611.
- Phiri AM, De Pomerai D, Buttle DJ & Behnke JMB (2014) Developing a rapid throughput screen for detection of nematicidal activity of plant cysteine proteinases: the role of Caenorhabditis elegans cystatins.. Parasitology, 141(2), 164-180.
- Levecke B, Buttle DJ, Behnke JM, Duce IR & Vercruysse J (2014) Cysteine proteinases from papaya (Carica papaya) in the treatment of experimental Trichuris suis infection in pigs: two randomized controlled trials. PARASITES & VECTORS, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Mansur F, Luoga W, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Lowe A & Behnke JM (2014) The anthelmintic efficacy of natural plant cysteine proteinases against two rodent cestodes Hymenolepis diminuta and Hymenolepis microstoma in vitro. Veterinary Parasitology, 201(1-2), 48-58.
- Robinson DE, Buttle DJ, Short RD, McArthur SL, Steele DA & Whittle JD (2012) Glycosaminoglycan (GAG) binding surfaces for characterizing GAG-protein interactions. Biomaterials, 33(4), 1007-1016.
- Buttle DJ, Behnke JM, Bartley Y, Elsheikha HM, Bartley DJ, Garnett MC, Donnan AA, Jackson F, Lowe A & Duce IR (2011) Oral dosing with papaya latex is an effective anthelmintic treatment for sheep infected with Haemonchus contortus. Parasites & Vectors, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Molokwu CN, Adeniji OO, Chandrasekharan S, Hamdy FC & Buttle DJ (2010) Androgen regulates ADAMTS15 gene expression in prostate cancer cells.. Cancer Invest, 28(7), 698-710.
- Marson A, Robinson DE, Brookes PN, Mulloy B, Wiles M, Clark SJ, Fielder HL, Collinson LJ, Cain SA, Kielty CM, McArthur S, Buttle DJ, Short RD, Whittle JD & Day AJ (2009) Development of a microtiter plate-based glycosaminoglycan array for the investigation of glycosaminoglycan-protein interactions.. Glycobiology, 19(12), 1537-1546.
- Pockert AJ, Richardson SM, Le Maitre CL, Lyon M, Deakin JA, Buttle DJ, Freemont AJ & Hoyland JA (2009) Modified expression of the ADAMTS enzymes and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 3 during human intervertebral disc degeneration.. Arthritis Rheum, 60(2), 482-491.
- Stepek G, Lowe AE, Buttle DJ, Duce IR & Behnke JM (2007) The anthelmintic efficacy of plant-derived cysteine proteinases against the rodent gastrointestinal nematode, Heligmosomoides polygyrus, in vivo.. Parasitology, 134(Pt 10), 1409-1419.
- Cross NA, Chandrasekharan S, Jokonya N, Fowles A, Hamdy FC, Buttle DJ & Eaton CL (2005) The expression and regulation of ADAMTS-1, -4, -5, -9, and -15, and TIMP-3 by TGFbeta1 in prostate cells: relevance to the accumulation of versican.. Prostate, 63(3), 269-275.
- Vankemmelbeke MN, Jones GC, Fowles C, Ilic MZ, Handley CJ, Day AJ, Knight CG, Mort JS & Buttle DJ (2003) Selective inhibition of ADAMTS-1, -4 and -5 by catechin gallate esters.. Eur J Biochem, 270(11), 2394-2403.
- Adcocks C, Collin P & Buttle DJ (2002) Catechins from green tea (Camellia sinensis) inhibit bovine and human cartilage proteoglycan and type II collagen degradation in vitro.. J Nutr, 132(3), 341-346.
- Kafienah W, Brömme D, Buttle DJ, Croucher LJ & Hollander AP (1998) Human cathepsin K cleaves native type I and II collagens at the N-terminal end of the triple helix.. Biochem J, 331 ( Pt 3), 727-732.
- O'Hara BP, Hemmings AM, Buttle DJ & Pearl LH (1995) Crystal structure of glycyl endopeptidase from Carica papaya: a cysteine endopeptidase of unusual substrate specificity.. Biochemistry, 34(40), 13190-13195.
- Farndale RW, Buttle DJ & Barrett AJ (1986) Improved quantitation and discrimination of sulphated glycosaminoglycans by use of dimethylmethylene blue.. Biochim Biophys Acta, 883(2), 173-177.
- Bell E, Ehrlich HP, Buttle DJ & Nakatsuji T (1981) Living tissue formed in vitro and accepted as skin-equivalent tissue of full thickness.. Science, 211(4486), 1052-1054.