Dr Francois Guesdon
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44(0) 114 215 9530
Fax: +44(0) 114 271 3892
Secretary - Jean Lazenby
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9509
After obtaining my PhD in 1989 I joined the group of Jeremy Saklatvala in Cambridge. I was appointed in Sheffield in 1996 and am currently Course Tutor of the Msc in Molecular Medicine.
My research interests are the signal transduction mechanisms of innate immunity cytokines such as IL-1, IL-17 or IL-25 and their roles in allergic (asthma) or chronic inflammatory diseases (arthritis).
- Induction of IL-25 expression by airborne allergens
- Regulation of the protein kinase TAK1
Teaching Development and Innovation:
MSc module Leader: I have designed, set up and led six MSc modules since 2000, of which three are currently taught in the MSc of Molecular Medicine and / or the MSc in Reproductive and Developmental Medicine.
Deputy Course Leader and Course Tutor of the MSc of Molecular Medicine: Responsible for progress monitoring, student support, disciplinary matters and chairing examination board meetings.
Programme development and support:
- 2000-present: I have designed, set up and led six MSc modules since 2000. I have also carried out yearly reviews of the contents, delivery formats and assessment of these modules and updated them when necessary.
- 2005: Key contributor to the process of reviewing two overlapping MSc courses and fusing them into a single modular course (MSc in Molecular Medicine), launched in 2006-2007.
- 2007-present: Designed and managed the personal tutoring scheme of the MSc in Molecular Medicine course and contributed to ensuring course compliance with QAA requirements
- 2010-2011: Led a task group that reviewed and improved the teaching and assessment of practical research professional skills in the MSc in Molecular Medicine.
- 2011-2012: Development and management of a new Faculty-wide training programme in Ethics and Integrity for post-graduate research students (in collaboration with Dr. P. Vivekananda-Schmidt).
Professional Recognition and Awards:
2010 - University Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (Collaboration category)
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Guesdon F, Kaabi Y, Riley AH, Wilkinson IR, Gray C, James DC, Artymiuk PJ, Sayers JR & Ross RJ (2012) Expression of a glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored ligand, growth hormone, blocks receptor signalling.. Biosci Rep, 32(6), 653-660. View this article in WRRO
- Greetham D, Ellis CD, Mewar D, Fearon U, Ultaigh SNA, Veale DJ, Guesdon F & Wilson AG (2007) Functional characterization of NF-kappa B inhibitor-like protein 1 (NF kappa BIL1), a candidate susceptibility gene for rheumatoid arthritis. HUM MOL GENET, 16(24), 3027-3036.
- Ross K, Yang L, Dower S, Volpe F & Guesdon F (2002) Identification of threonine 66 as a functionally critical residue of the interleukin-1 receptor-associated kinase.. J Biol Chem, 277(40), 37414-37421.
- Dempsey CE, Sakurai H, Sugita T & Guesdon F (2000) Alternative splicing and gene structure of the transforming growth factor beta-activated kinase 1.. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1517(1), 46-52.
- Guesdon F, Knight CG, Rawlinson LM & Saklatvala J (1997) Dual specificity of the interleukin 1- and tumor necrosis factor-activated beta casein kinase.. J Biol Chem, 272(48), 30017-30024.
- Freshney NW, Rawlinson L, Guesdon F, Jones E, Cowley S, Hsuan J & Saklatvala J (1994) Interleukin-1 activates a novel protein kinase cascade that results in the phosphorylation of Hsp27.. Cell, 78(6), 1039-1049.