Professor (Emeritus) Brian Brown, BSc, PhD, FInstP, FIET
Emeritus Professor of Medical Physics
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Telephone: 0114 215 9533
- Development Engineer, Pye Ltd, Cambridge (1962 – 1963).
- Health Physicist, Berkeley Nuclear Power Station (1963 – 1964).
- Clinical Scientist, Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals (1964 – 1982).
- UN Expert in Medical Electronics, India (1977 – 1978).
- Professor of Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering, Sheffield University (1982 – 2006).
- Chairman of Dept. of Medical Physics & Clinical Engineering., Sheffield Teaching Hospitals / University of Sheffield (1997 – 2002).
- Professor Emeritus, University of Sheffield, (2006 – present).
My major research interest has been in Medical Electronics involving research and development work on the techniques of physiological measurement, the production of instrumentation and its application to both clinical and routine patient measurement. Major areas of my research have been into the recording and understanding of the electrical activity of the gut, the analysis of nerve action potentials, the use of electromyography to investigate and identify carriers of muscular dystropy and the development of aids for the profoundly deaf.
More recently I have concentrated on research into the electrical properties of tissue, including the practical realisation of Electrical Impedance Tomography (EIT) and Tissue Spectroscopy as routine clinical tools. I pioneered the development of EIT and initiated European Union Concerted Action Programmes in this field. I have contributed to about 280 scientific publications, patents and books. I continue to have a research interest into the detection of cervical pre-malignancy and I have also returned to an early interest in climatology.
- Awarded the Founders' Prize of the Hospital Physicists' Association for distinction in the application of Physics to Medicine, 1972.
- Received the Sir Albert Martin research prize(jointly with Dr R H Smallwood) for research into the electrical and mechanical activity of the gastrointestinal tract, 1980.
- Received the Herman P Schwan Award for Pioneering Research into Electrical Impedance Tomography at a ceremony in Gdansk, 2004.
- UK delegate to the European Economic Community Committee on Biomedical Engineering (COMAC-BME), 1987-93.
- Member and Chairman of the Science and Engineering Research Council Committee on Medical Engineering and Sensors;
- Member of the Trent Regional Health Authority, Research Working Group on Clinical Laboratory Sciences; 1991-96
- Member of the Design Council, Medical Engineering Advisory Committee;
- Chairman of the IEE Professional Committee on Medical and Biological Systems (S9);
- Member of the British Standards Committee on Surgical Diathermy Equipment;
- Course external examiner to the Universities of Surrey (82-86: MSc), Dundee (82-85; MSc), Exeter(86-89; BSc), London(UCL, BEng; 91-95); London UCL, MRes in Advanced Instrumentation Systems, (1999 - 2003);
- Member of the EPSRC Medical Engineering College
- Chairman of IPEM Membership Panel, 1997 – 2001.
- Research Assessment Exercise 2001, Member of Physics Panel, 1999 – 2001.
- Chairman of IFMBE Journals Committee 2000 - 2004
- Academic founder of Zilico Ltd 1997 – present.
- Tidy JA, Brown BH, Healey TJ, Daayana S, Martin S, Prendiville W, Kitchener HC. Accuracy of detection of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia using electrical impedance spectroscopy with colposcopy, BJOG 2013 120, 400-411, 2013.
- Nebuya S, Mills GH, Milnes P, Brown BH. Indirect measurement of lung density and air volume from electrical impedance tomography(EIT) data, Physiol. Meas. 32, 1953-1967, 2011.
- Brown BH. Short-term changes in global cloud cover and in cosmic radiation. Jn. of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 2008 70, 1122-1131.
- Brown BH, Milnes P, Abdul S, Tidy JA. Detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia using impedance spectroscopy: a prospective study, BJOG: 2005 112, 802-806.
- Brown BH, Primhak RA, Smallwood RH, Milnes P, Narracott AJ, Jackson MJ. Neonatal lungs – maturational changes in lung resistivity spectra, Med. Biol. Eng. 2002 40, 5, 506-511.
- Brown BH , Tidy J, Boston K, Blackett AD, Smallwood RH, Sharp F. The relationship between tissue structure and imposed electrical current flow in cervical neoplasia, The Lancet, 2000 355: 892-95.
- Brown BH, Smallood RH, Hose DR, Barber DC, Lawford PV. Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, 1999 736 pages, IOP Publishing, Bristol and Philadelphia.
- Brown BH, Barber DC. 'Possibilities and problems of real-time imaging of tissue resistivity'. CPPM 9(A), 1998 121-126.
- Brown BH, Duthie HL, Horn AR, Smallwood RH. A linked oscillator model of electrical activity of human small intestine. Am. J. Physiol., 1975 229, 2, 384-388.
- Brown BH Some new instruments for the continuous monitoring of body temperature, respiration rate and pulse rate. Physics in Med. and Biol., 1966 11, 1, 135.
- Brown BH Simple analogue divider and multiplier. Electronics Letters, 1965 1, 7, 206.