Mr Norman Briffa MB MD FRCS(Ed) FRCS (CTh)
Honorary Reader in Cardiac Surgery
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Northern General Hospital
Tel: 0114 226 6777
Fax: 0114 261 0350
I qualified in medicine at the University of Sheffield in 1983. I trained in Cardiothoracic Surgery in the West Midlands and Cambridge. I was awarded an MD from the University of Sheffield for a Research Project in Xenotransplanation that I completed during my time at Stanford University, California in 1996-97.
I became a Consultant in Cardiothoracic Surgery in 1998 and moved back to Sheffield in 2005.
Clinical Trials in Heart Surgery and Data Analysis from patients undergoing Heart Valve Surgery
I am President of the British Heart Valve Society.
I am Chair of a Panel of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh designing a new unique specialty Exam for Cardiothoracic Surgical Care Practitioners.
A clinical trial investigating the effect of a Novel Wound Dressing on Oxygen Delivery to Wound Edges of Diabetic Patients undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
I am supervising a University of Sheffield MD student who is participating in an EU funded (Horizon 2020) study called EURVALVE. Clinical data (including imaging data) is being used to construct a computer model to predict outcomes after treatment in patients with heart valve disease. This model will be used in a clinical decision support system.
I am supervising a BMedSci University of Sheffield student who is looking variables which influence gradients across aortic valve prostheses in patients undergoing aortic valve replacement surgery.
- Briffa N, Chambers JB. Biological Valves in Younger Patients Undergoing Aortic Valve Replacement. Circulation. 2017;135:1101–1103.
- Briffa N. Surgery for degenerative mitral valve disease. British Medical Journal Publishing Group; 2010.
- Briffa NP, Shorthouse R, Chan J, Silva H, Billingham M, Brazelton T, Morris RE. Histological and immunological characteristics of, and the effect of immunosuppressive treatment on, xenograft vasculopathy. Xenotransplantation. 2004;11:149–159.
- Holmes C, Briffa N. Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMS) in patients undergoing heart valve surgery: why should we measure them and which instruments should we use? Open heart. 2016;3:e000315.
- Stott MC, Gooseman MR, Briffa NP. Improving Medical Students’ Application of Knowledge and Clinical Decision-Making Through a Porcine-Based Integrated Cardiac Basic Science Program. Journal of surgical education. 2016;73:675–681.