Professor David Fishwick MBChB FRCP (Glasgow and London) AFOM MD
Honorary Professor of Occupational and Environmental Respiratory Disease
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
Respiratory Function Unit
Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Sheffield S10 2JF
I am currently a Consultant Respiratory Physician with a major clinical and research interest in occupational lung disease, holding the following roles; Consultant Respiratory Physician, STH Foundation NHS Trust, Co-Director of the Centre for Workplace Health (CWH), and Chief Medical Officer, Health and Safety Laboratory. In addition, I am an Honorary Professor of Occupational and Environmental Respiratory Medicine, University of Sheffield, awarded in 2010.
My research interests are focussed around the broad interface between the work environment and respiratory health. For example, I have active research interests in health surveillance for workers exposed to potentially harmful exposures at work, in addition to the diagnostic processes used to identify disease. This work has led previously to the development of professional standards in this area, and the ability to influence policy.
My teaching interests are related to the origins, identification and treatment of respiratory illness. At undergraduate level, I coordinate the phase 1a respiratory course, and at postgraduate level have been involved in many modalities of teaching delivery, including the development of an occupational health technician course with the University of Sheffield and a web hosted occupational asthma module with eBMJ.
- I currently chair the British Lung Foundation northern regional group.
- I sit on the British Thoracic Society Occupation Lung Disease Specialist Advisory Group.
- I also sit on the ERS taskforce for occupational specific challenge testing.
- I am a member of GORDS group.
- I retain an interest in the infant cohort study started by myself when I lived and worked in New Zealand, at the Wellington Asthma Research Group, between 1995 and 1997.
I am currently working on a number of research themes, including a pan European PEROSH wellbeing initiative and a Strategy Research Programme for HSL relating to health at work, and a smoking cessation project for the British Occupational Health Research Foundation.
- Camargo CA Jr, Ingham T, Wickens K, Thadhani R, Silvers KM, Epton MJ, Town GI, Pattemore PK, Espinola JA, Crane J; New Zealand Asthma and Allergy Cohort Study Group (including D Fishwick). Cord-blood 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of respiratory infection, wheezing, and asthma. Pediatrics. 2011 Jan;127(1):e180-7. Epub 2010 Dec 27.
- Barber CM, Frank T, Walsh K, Burton C, Bradshaw L, Fishwick D. Knowledge and utilisation of occupational asthma guidelines in primary care. Primary Care Respiratory Journal 2010 in press.
- Karen M Silvers KM, Frampton CM, Wickens K, Epton MJ, Pattemore PK, Ingham T, Fishwick D, Crane J, Town GI for the New Zealand Asthma and Allergy Cohort Study Group. Breast feeding protects against adverse respiratory outcomes at 15 months of age. Maternal and Childhood Nutrition 2009 Jul;5(3):243-50. Epub 2009 Jan 4.
- Wickens K, Ingham T, Epton M, Pattermore P, Town I, Fishwick D, Crane J and the New Zealand Asthma and Allergy Cohort Study Group. The association of early life exposure to antibiotics and the development of asthma, eczema and atopy in a birth cohort: confounding or causality? Clinical Experimental Allergy 2008 Aug;38(8):1318-24.
- Fishwick D, Bradshaw L, Davies J, Henson M, Stenton C, Burge S, Niven R, Warburton CJ, Hendrick D, Rogers T, Rawbone R, Curran AD. Are we failing workers with symptoms suggestive of occupational asthma? Prim Care Respir J. 2007 Oct;16(5):304-10.
- Fishwick D, Barber CM, Bradshaw LM, Harris-Roberts J, Francis M, Naylor S, Ayres J, Burge PS, Corne JM, Cullinan P, Frank TL, Hendrick D, Hoyle J, Jaakkola M, Newman-Taylor A, Nicholson P, Niven R, Pickering A, Rawbone R, Stenton C, Warburton CJ, Curran AD; British Thoracic Society Standards of Care Subcommittee Guidelines on Occupational Asthma. Standards of care for occupational asthma. Thorax 2008 Mar;63(3):240-50. Epub 2007 Sep 28.
- Gillespie J, Wickens K, Siebers R, Howden-Chapman P, Town I, Epton M, Fitzharris P, Fishwick D, Crane J; New Zealand Asthma and Allergy Birth Cohort Study Group. Endotoxin exposure, wheezing, and rash in infancy in a New Zealand birth cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006 Dec;118(6):1265-70. Epub 2006 Sep 25.
- Francis HC, Prys-Picard CO, Fishwick D, Stenton C, Burge PS, Bradshaw LM, Ayres JG, Campbell SM, Niven RM. Defining and investigating occupational asthma: a consensus approach. Occup Environ Med. 2007 Jun;64(6):361-5. Epub 2006 Nov 27.
- Fishwick D, Lisa M Bradshaw, Mandy Henson, Chris Stenton, David Hendrick, Sherwood Burge, R M Niven, Christopher Warburton, Trevor Rogers, Roger Rawbone, Paul Cullinan, Chris M Barber, Tony Pickering, Nerys Williams, Jon G Ayres, and Andrew D Curran. Occupational Asthma. A national assessment of diagnostic agreement between physicians. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2007;64(3):185-90.
- Kemp TJ, Siebers R, Fishwick D, N Rains, O’Grady G, Fitzharris P, Crane J. Increased house dust mite allergen in synthetic pillows may explain increased wheezing. British Medical Journal 1997;314(14):1763.