Dr Pankaj Garg MD(Hons) MRCP PGCME FHEA PhD
NIHR Clicnial Lecturer in Cardiology
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9152
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1714
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2017 after completing my PhD from the University of Leeds under supervision of Professor Sven Plein and Professor John P Greenwood. I gained my medical degree with honours in 2003 from Moscow Medical Academy, Russia and became a member of the Royal College of Physicians in 2009. I am currently a Clinical Lecturer in Cardiovascular Medicine based in the Academic Radiology, part of the Department of Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular Disease. I am an Honorary Specialist Training Registrar in Cardiology at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
As a multi-modality imaging cardiologist, I enjoy using advance imaging tools like myocardial deformation imaging and three-dimensional (3D), time-resolved imaging for informing cardiovascular diagnosis and intervention. I am certified by the British Society of Echocardiography for transthoracic echocardiography and transoesophageal echocardiography. I am Level III certified in cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging by the European Society of Cardiology and Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging (SCMR, USA).
My research interests are in multi-parametric cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging especially tissue mapping and four-dimensional flow CMR. I am interested in standardisation, validation and in the development of image-based, post-processing methods of 4D flow CMR for clinical applications. My current work is focused on developing 4D flow models to accurately predict cardiovascular haemodynamics and develop novel therapeutic targets in heart disease patients.
I enjoy lecturing clinical cardiology to undergraduates and post-graduates. I am faculty member at several national and international conferences and workshops on Echocardiography and cardiac MRI. I have co-authored several chapters in cardiovascular textbooks (details in full publication list). I believe in novel on-the-go learning methods and hence I have always been keen on developing software applications for mobile phone for teaching. I have co-authored CMR Pocket Guide (hard copy link: click here) which is endorsed by the European Society of Cardiology. We have also developed an iPhone application of the CMR pocket guide (iTunes link: click here). There is a web version of the CMR pocket guide with an extensive atlas of CMR in several cardiovascular pathologies (www.cmr-guide.com).
I have previously supervised two Master of Research (M.Res) and Bachelor of Science students at the University of Leeds. Both students completed their degrees with distinction.
- Validation of a non-invasive magnetic resonance image-based computational tool for the diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension. MRC CiC £47,825.00.
- Development of novel physiological CMR methods in health and disease. Funding in progress.
- Development of advance CMR sequences using spatial-temporal acceleration techniques for clinical applications and patient-friendly scan protocols.
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Garg P, Westenberg JJM, van den Boogaard PJ, Swoboda PP, Aziz R, Foley JRJ, Fent GJ, Tyl FGJ, Coratella L, ElBaz MSM, van der Geest RJ, Higgins DM, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2018) Comparison of fast acquisition strategies in whole‐heart four‐dimensional flow cardiac MR: Two‐center, 1.5 Tesla, phantom and in vivo validation study. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 47(1), 272-281. View this article in WRRO
- Crandon S, Elbaz MSM, Westenberg JJM, van der Geest RJ, Plein S & Garg P (2017) Clinical applications of intra-cardiac four-dimensional flow cardiovascular magnetic resonance: A systematic review. International Journal of Cardiology, 249, 486-493. View this article in WRRO
- Garg P, Broadbent DA, Swoboda PP, Foley JRJ, Fent GJ, Musa TA, Ripley DP, Erhayiem B, Dobson LE, McDiarmid AK, Haaf P, Kidambi A, Crandon S, Chew PG, van der Geest RJ, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2017) Extra-cellular expansion in the normal, non-infarcted myocardium is associated with worsening of regional myocardial function after acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 19(1), 73-73. View this article in WRRO
- Garg P, Broadbent DA, Swoboda PP, Foley JRJ, Fent GJ, Musa TA, Ripley DP, Erhayiem B, Dobson LE, McDiarmid AK, Haaf P, Kidambi A, van der Geest RJ, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2017) Acute Infarct Extracellular Volume Mapping to Quantify Myocardial Area at Risk and Chronic Infarct Size on Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance ImagingCLINICAL PERSPECTIVE. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, 10(7).
- Garg P, Kidambi A, Swoboda PP, Foley JRJ, Musa TA, Ripley DP, Erhayiem B, Dobson LE, McDiarmid AK, Fent GJ, Haaf P, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2017) The role of left ventricular deformation in the assessment of microvascular obstruction and intramyocardial haemorrhage. The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, 33(3), 361-370.
- Garg P, Morris P, Fazlanie AL, Vijayan S, Dancso B, Dastidar AG, Plein S, Mueller C & Haaf P (2017) Cardiac biomarkers of acute coronary syndrome: from history to high-sensitivity cardiac troponin. Internal and Emergency Medicine, 12(2), 147-155. View this article in WRRO
- Haaf P, Garg P, Messroghli DR, Broadbent DA, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2017) Cardiac T1 Mapping and Extracellular Volume (ECV) in clinical practice: a comprehensive review. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Fent GJ, Garg P, Foley JRJ, Swoboda PP, Dobson LE, Erhayiem B, Treibel TA, Moon JC, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2017) Synthetic Myocardial Extracellular Volume Fraction. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, 10(11), 1402-1404.
- van der Geest RJ & Garg P (2016) Advanced Analysis Techniques for Intra-cardiac Flow Evaluation from 4D Flow MRI. Current Radiology Reports, 4(7).
- Swoboda PP, McDiarmid AK, Erhayiem B, Broadbent DA, Dobson LE, Garg P, Ferguson C, Page SP, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2016) Assessing Myocardial Extracellular Volume by T1 Mapping to Distinguish Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy From Athlete’s Heart. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 67(18), 2189-2190.
- Garg P, Underwood SR, Senior R, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2016) Noninvasive cardiac imaging in suspected acute coronary syndrome. Nature Reviews Cardiology, 13(5), 266-275.
- Garg P, Kidambi A, Foley JRJ, Musa TA, Ripley DP, Swoboda PP, Erhayiem B, Dobson LE, McDiarmid AK, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2016) Ventricular longitudinal function is associated with microvascular obstruction and intramyocardial haemorrhage. Open Heart, 3(1), e000337-e000337.
- Garg P, Abdel-Rahman S-E-D, Greenwood JP & Plein S (2015) Free-Wall Rupture Post–Reperfused Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circulation, 132(21), e245-e247.