Professor Anne Goodeve BSc PhD
Professor of Molecular Medicine
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2001, having previously been closely associated with the organisation for several years as an honorary lecturer. My background is in molecular biology and genetics of haematological disorders. Following a PhD and postdoctoral position working on a viral genetics, I began investigation of the molecular pathogenesis of inherited haemostatic disorders in 1990 and spend my time equally between the University and on diagnostic aspects of this work at Sheffield Diagnostic Genetics Service.
My work is aimed at understanding the pathogenesis of the inherited bleeding disorder, von Willebrand disease. Current work is focussed on determination of the contribution of genetic variation in the von Willebrand factor (VWF) gene, ABO blood group and other non-VWF loci on low plasma VWF level and symptoms of bleeding.
Zimmerman Program on the Molecular and Clinical Biology of von Willebrand Disease, a National Institute for Health funded Program Project Grant in collaboration with Bob Montgomery, Milwaukee and David Lillicrap, Kingston Ontario.
Type 3 Von Willebrand International Registries Inhibitor Prospective Study in collaboration with Augusto Federici, Milan.
- British Society on Haemostasis and Thrombosis; Committee member and Treasurer.
- EU von Willebrand Disease Co-operative Group Co-chair.
- von Willebrand Disease; From Theory to Clinical Practice annual clinical teaching meeting in Malmo; member of Faculty.
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Ranica near Bergamo Italy; Open University external PhD supervisor.
- Member of the United Kingdom National External Quality Assessment Survey (UK NEQAS) Specialist Advisory Group on Haemostasis Genetics.
- Co-opted member of the World Federation for Hemophilia Laboratory Science Committee.
- Member of the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders locus specific mutation database curators working group.
- Member of the editorial board of the journal Haemophilia.
- Member of the editorial board of the Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Goodeve AC (2015) Hemophilia B: molecular pathogenesis and mutation analysis. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 13(7), 1184-1195. View this article in WRRO
- Hampshire DJ, Abuzenadah AM, Cartwright A, Al-Shammari NS, Coyle RE, Eckert M, Al-Buhairan AM, Messenger SL, Budde U, Gürsel T, Ingerslev J, Peake IR & Goodeve AC (2013) Identification and characterisation of mutations associated with von Willebrand disease in a Turkish patient cohort.. Thromb Haemost, 110(2), 264-274. View this article in WRRO
- Bowyer AE, Van Veen J, Goodeve AC, Kitchen S & Makris M (2013) Specific and global coagulation assays in the diagnosis of mild haemophilia A. JOURNAL OF THROMBOSIS AND HAEMOSTASIS, 11, 704-704.
- Castaman G, Goodeve A & Eikenboom J (2013) Principles of care for the diagnosis and treatment of von Willebrand disease. Haematologica, 98(5), 667-674.
- Eikenboom J, Federici AB, Dirven RJ, Castaman G, Rodeghiero F, Budde U, Schneppenheim R, Batlle J, Canciani MT, Goudemand J, Peake I, Goodeve A & the MCMDM-1VWD Study Group (2013) VWF propeptide and ratios between VWF, VWF propeptide, and FVIII in the characterization of type 1 von Willebrand disease. Blood, 121(12), 2336-2339.
- Goodeve AC, Beauchamp NJ & Cooper P (2012) Quality in molecular biology testing for inherited thrombophilia disorders. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- Goodeve AC (2011) Genetic basis of type 1 von Willebrand disease. JOURNAL OF THROMBOSIS AND HAEMOSTASIS, 9, 716-716.
- Hampshire DJ & Goodeve AC (2011) The International Society on Thrombosis and Haematosis von Willebrand disease database: an update. SEMIN THROMB HEMOST, 37, 470-479.
- James PD & Goodeve AC (2011) von Willebrand disease.. Genet Med, 13(5), 365-376.
- Goodeve AC, Reitsma PH, McVey JH & Working Group on Nomenclature of the Scientific and Standardisation Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2011) Nomenclature of genetic variants in hemostasis.. J Thromb Haemost, 9(4), 852-855.
- Hampshire DJ, Burghel GJ, Goudemand J, Bouvet LCS, Eikenboom JCJ, Schneppenheim R, Budde U, Peake IR, Goodeve AC & EU-VWD and ZPMCB-VWD study groups (2010) Polymorphic variation within the VWF gene contributes to the failure to detect mutations in patients historically diagnosed with type 1 von Willebrand disease from the MCMDM-1VWD cohort.. Haematologica, 95(12), 2163-2165.
- Hickson N, Hampshire D, Winship P, Goudemand J, Schneppenheim R, Budde U, Castaman G, Rodeghiero F, Federici AB, James P, Peake I, Eikenboom J, Goodeve A & MCMDM-1VWD and ZPMCB-VWD study groups (2010) von Willebrand factor variant p.Arg924Gln marks an allele associated with reduced von Willebrand factor and factor VIII levels.. J Thromb Haemost, 8(9), 1986-1993. View this article in WRRO
- Eikenboom JCJ, Hilbert L, Ribba AS, Hommais A, Habart D, Messenger S, Al-Buhairan A, Guilliatt A, Lester W & Mazurier C (2009) Expression of 14 von Willebrand factor mutations identified in patients with type.1 von Willebrand disease from the MCMDM-1VWD study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7(8), 1304-1312.
- Castaman G, Lethagen S, Federici AB, Tosetto A, Goodeve A, Budde U, Batlle J, Meyer D, Mazurier C, Fressinaud E, Goudemand J, Eikenboom J, Schneppenheim R, Ingerslev J, Vorlova Z, Habart D, Holmberg L, Pasi J, Hill F, Peake I & Rodeghiero F (2008) Response to desmopressin is influenced by the genotype and phenotype in type 1 von Willebrand disease (VWD): Results from the European Study MCMDM-1VWD. Blood, 111(7), 3531-3539.
- Goodeve AC, Eikenboom J, Castaman G, Rodeghiero F, Federici AB, Batlle J, Meyer D, Mazurier C, Goudemand J, Schneppenheim R, Budde U, Ingerslev J, Habart D, Vorlova Z, Holmberg L, Lethagen S, Pasi J, Hill F, Soteh MH, Baronciani L, Hallden C, Guilliatt A, Lester W & Peake I (2007) Phenotype and genotype of a cohort of families historically diagnosed with type 1 von Willebrand disease in the European study, Molecular and Clinical Markers for the Diagnosis and Management of Type 1 von Willebrand Disease (MCMDM-1VWD). Blood, 109(1), 112-121.