Professor Rod Hose BSc PhD
Professor of Computational Biomechanics
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
Medical Physics Group
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Telephone: 0114 215 9533
Fax: 0114 271 1863
After graduating in Mathematics from the University of Manchester, I joined Lucas Aerospace as a graduate apprentice engineer. From 1977 to 1992 I worked as a stress engineer and as a consultant structural analyst for several companies in the aerospace, motor vehicle and general engineering sectors. During this period I also completed my PhD in Applied Mechanics at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. I joined acadaemia in 1992 as a lecturer in Aircraft Structures at the University of Salford. I moved to Medical Physics at the University of Sheffield in 1994, where I was initially responsible for the development of undergraduate teaching in medical physics and had a primary research interest in the computational analysis of heart valve prostheses.
I am currently Professor of Computational Biomechanics in the Mathematics and Modelling in Medicine Group in the Department of Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular Disease at the University of Sheffield (40% FTE) and Professor of Computational Cardiovascular Physiology in the Department of Circulation and Biomedical Engineering at NTNU in Trondhem. I was awarded Dr Honoris Causa by the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca in 2014.
My research interests are in the development of methods and workflows for the computational analysis of (primarily) cardiovascular systems, and in their translation to clinical application. I am interested in all aspects of the process, from clinical data collection and management through image processing to the building of detailed three dimensional models of the vasculature and on to determination of appropriate boundary conditions, numerical solution and data reduction. I have been intimately involved in the development of the European Commission´s Virtual Physiological Human initiative from its beginning.
Current & Recent Projects:
- HICF Grant.
- euHeart: Integrated Cardiac Care using Patient-Specific Cardiovascular Modeling. Funded by the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme under the Information Society and Media’s Virtual Physiological Human initiative. Grant agreement 224495.
- Translating Biomedical Modelling to the Heart of the Clinic Funded by the EPSRC under its Digital Economy programme in the Grand Challenges in IT for Healthcare initiative.
- Virtual Physiological Human Network of Excellence. Funded by the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme under the Information Society and Media’s Virtual Physiological Human initiative.
- Collaborator with the NIHR Sheffield Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Unit CVBRU
- The Virtual Tendon: a multiscale computational model of dynamic tissue remodelling. Funded by Arthritis Research Campaign
- @neurIST: Integrated Biomedical Informatics for Management of Cerebral Aneurysms (2006-2010), Funded by the European Community’s Sixth Framework Programme by DG-Infso.
- EurValve (www.eurvalve.eu)
- i4i (National Institute for Health Research, Invention for Innovation (i4i). Gunn JP, Morris PD, Hose DR, Lawford PV. ‘A prototype tool to calculate 'virtual' myocardial fractional flow reserve (vFFR) non-invasively (VIRTU-3)’. March 2017 – March 2019.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Gosling RC, Morris PD, Silva Soto DA, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2018) Virtual Coronary Intervention. A Treatment Planning Tool Based Upon the Angiogram. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging. View this article in WRRO
- Huberts W, Heinen SGH, Zonnebeld N, van den Heuvel DAF, de Vries J-PPM, Tordoir JHM, Hose DR, Delhaas T & van de Vosse FN (2018) What is needed to make cardiovascular models suitable for clinical decision support? A viewpoint paper. Journal of Computational Science, 24, 68-84.
- Morris PD, Silva Soto DA, Feher JFA, Rafiroiu D, Lungu A, Varma S, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2017) Fast Virtual Fractional Flow Reserve Based Upon Steady-State Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis: Results From the VIRTU-Fast Study. Journal of American College Cardiology Basic to Translational Science, 2(4), 434-446. View this article in WRRO
- Weese J, Lungu A, Peters J, Weber FM, Waechter-Stehle I & Hose DR (2017) CFD- and Bernoulli-based pressure drop estimates: A comparison using patient anatomies from heart and aortic valve segmentation of CT images. Medical Physics, 44(6), 2281-2292. View this article in WRRO
- Auffray C, Balling R, Barroso I, Bencze L, Benson M, Bergeron J, Bernal-Delgado E, Blomberg N, Bock C, Conesa A, Del Signore S, Delogne C, Devilee P, Di Meglio A, Eijkemans M, Flicek P, Graf N, Grimm V, Guchelaar H-J, Guo Y-K, Gut IG, Hanbury A, Hanif S, Hilgers R-D, Honrado Á, Hose DR, Houwing-Duistermaat J, Hubbard T, Janacek SH, Karanikas H, Kievits T, Kohler M, Kremer A, Lanfear J, Lengauer T, Maes E, Meert T, Müller W, Nickel D, Oledzki P, Pedersen B, Petkovic M, Pliakos K, Rattray M, i Màs JR, Schneider R, Sengstag T, Serra-Picamal X, Spek W, Vaas LAI, van Batenburg O, Vandelaer M, Varnai P, Villoslada P, Vizcaíno JA, Wubbe JPM & Zanetti G (2016) Making sense of big data in health research: Towards an EU action plan. Genome Medicine, 8:71. View this article in WRRO
- Lungu A, Swift AJ, Capener D, Kiely D, Hose R & Wild JM (2016) Diagnosis of Pulmonary Hypertension from Magnetic Resonance Imaging–Based Computational Models and Decision Tree Analysis. Pulmonary Circulation, 6(2), 181-190.
- Morris PD, Narracott A, Von Tengg-Kobligk H, Soto DAS, Hsiao S, Lungu A, Evans P, Bressloff NW, Lawford PV, Rodney Hose D & Gunn JP (2016) Computational fluid dynamics modelling in cardiovascular medicine. Heart, 102(1), 18-28. View this article in WRRO
- Viceconti M, Hunter P & Hose R (2015) Big Data, Big Knowledge: Big Data for Personalized Healthcare. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 19(4), 1209-1215. View this article in WRRO
- Morris PD, Van De Vosse FN, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2015) "virtual" (Computed) Fractional Flow Reserve Current Challenges and Limitations. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions, 8(8), 1009-1017.
- Lungu A, Wild JM, Capener D, Kiely DG, Swift AJ & Hose DR (2014) MRI model-based non-invasive differential diagnosis in pulmonary hypertension. Journal of Biomechanics, 47(12), 2941-2947. View this article in WRRO
- Morris PD, Ryan D, Morton AC, Lycett R, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2013) Virtual fractional flow reserve from coronary angiography: modeling the significance of coronary lesions: results from the VIRTU-1 (VIRTUal Fractional Flow Reserve From Coronary Angiography) study.. JACC Cardiovasc Interv, 6(2), 149-157.
- Brown AG, Shi Y, Marzo A, Staicu C, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Lawford PV & Hose DR (2012) Accuracy vs. computational time: translating aortic simulations to the clinic.. J Biomech, 45(3), 516-523.
- Lamata P, Niederer S, Nordsletten D, Barber DC, Roy I, Hose DR & Smith N (2011) An accurate, fast and robust method to generate patient-specific cubic Hermite meshes.. Med Image Anal, 15(6), 801-813.
- Smith N, de Vecchi A, McCormick M, Nordsletten D, Camara O, Frangi AF, Delingette H, Sermesant M, Relan J, Ayache N, Krueger MW, Schulze WHW, Hose R, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Staicu C, Siebes M, Spaan J, Hunter P, Weese J, Lehmann H, Chapelle D & Rezavi R (2011) euHeart: personalized and integrated cardiac care using patient-specific cardiovascular modelling. INTERFACE FOCUS, 1(3), 349-364.
- Shi Y, Brown AG, Lawford PV, Arndt A, Nuesser P & Hose DR (2011) Computational modelling and evaluation of cardiovascular response under pulsatile impeller pump support. INTERFACE FOCUS, 1(3), 320-337.
- Villa-Uriol MC, Berti G, Marzo A, Hose DR, Chiarini A, Singh P, Penrose J, Schmidt JG, Pozo J & Frangi A (2011) @neurIST Complex Information Processing toolchain for the integrated management of cerebral aneurysm. Journal of the Royal Society Interface(1), 308-319.