Professor Rod Hose BSc PhD
Professor of Computational Biomechanics
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
Medical Physics Group
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
After graduating in Mathematics from the University of Manchester, I joined Lucas Aerospace as a graduate apprentice engineer. From 1977 to 1992 I worked as a stress engineer and as a consultant structural analyst for several companies in the aerospace, motor vehicle and general engineering sectors. During this period I also completed my PhD in Applied Mechanics at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. I joined acadaemia in 1992 as a lecturer in Aircraft Structures at the University of Salford. I moved to Medical Physics at the University of Sheffield in 1994, where I was initially responsible for the development of undergraduate teaching in medical physics and had a primary research interest in the computational analysis of heart valve prostheses.
I am currently Professor of Computational Biomechanics in the Medical Physics Group in the Department of Cardiovascular Science.
My research interests are in the development of methods and workflows for the computational analysis of (primarily) cardiovascular systems, and in their translation to clinical application. I am interested in all aspects of the process, from clinical data collection and management through image processing to the building of detailed three dimensional models of the vasculature and on to determination of appropriate boundary conditions, numerical solution and data reduction. I have been intimately involved in the development of the European Commission´s Virtual Physiological Human initiative from its beginning.
Current & Recent Projects:
- HICF Grant.
- euHeart: Integrated Cardiac Care using Patient-Specific Cardiovascular Modeling. Funded by the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme under the Information Society and Media’s Virtual Physiological Human initiative. Grant agreement 224495.
- Translating Biomedical Modelling to the Heart of the Clinic Funded by the EPSRC under its Digital Economy programme in the Grand Challenges in IT for Healthcare initiative.
- Virtual Physiological Human Network of Excellence. Funded by the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme under the Information Society and Media’s Virtual Physiological Human initiative.
- Collaborator with the NIHR Sheffield Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Unit CVBRU
- The Virtual Tendon: a multiscale computational model of dynamic tissue remodelling. Funded by Arthritis Research Campaign
- @neurIST: Integrated Biomedical Informatics for Management of Cerebral Aneurysms (2006-2010), Funded by the European Community’s Sixth Framework Programme by DG-Infso.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Morris PD, Ryan D, Morton AC, Lycett R, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2013) Virtual fractional flow reserve from coronary angiography: modeling the significance of coronary lesions: results from the VIRTU-1 (VIRTUal Fractional Flow Reserve From Coronary Angiography) study.. JACC Cardiovasc Interv, 6(2), 149-157.
- Brown AG, Shi Y, Marzo A, Staicu C, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Lawford PV & Hose DR (2012) Accuracy vs. computational time: translating aortic simulations to the clinic.. J Biomech, 45(3), 516-523.
- Lamata P, Niederer S, Nordsletten D, Barber DC, Roy I, Hose DR & Smith N (2011) An accurate, fast and robust method to generate patient-specific cubic Hermite meshes.. Med Image Anal, 15(6), 801-813.
- Shi Y, Brown AG, Lawford PV, Arndt A, Nuesser P & Hose DR (2011) Computational modelling and evaluation of cardiovascular response under pulsatile impeller pump support. INTERFACE FOCUS, 1(3), 320-337.
- Smith N, de Vecchi A, McCormick M, Nordsletten D, Camara O, Frangi AF, Delingette H, Sermesant M, Relan J, Ayache N, Krueger MW, Schulze WHW, Hose R, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Staicu C, Siebes M, Spaan J, Hunter P, Weese J, Lehmann H, Chapelle D & Rezavi R (2011) euHeart: personalized and integrated cardiac care using patient-specific cardiovascular modelling. INTERFACE FOCUS, 1(3), 349-364.
- Villa-Uriol MC, Berti G, Marzo A, Hose DR, Chiarini A, Singh P, Penrose J, Schmidt JG, Pozo J & Frangi A (2011) @neurIST Complex Information Processing toolchain for the integrated management of cerebral aneurysm. Journal of the Royal Society Interface(1), 308-319.
- Shi Y, Lawford PV & Hose DR (2010) Numerical modeling of hemodynamics with pulsatile impeller pump support.. Ann Biomed Eng, 38(8), 2621-2634.
- Hand AJ, Sun T, Barber DC, Hose DR & MacNeil S (2009) Automated tracking of migrating cells in phase-contrast video microscopy sequences using image registration.. J Microsc, 234(1), 62-79.
- Narracott AJ, John GW, Morris RJ, Woodcock JP, Hose DR & Lawford PV (2009) A validated model of calf compression and deep vessel collapse during external cuff inflation.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 56(2), 273-280.
- Evans DJW, Lawford PV, Gunn J, Walker D, Hose DR, Smallwood RH, Chopard B, Krafczyk M, Bernsdorf J & Hoekstra A (2008) The application of multiscale modelling to the process of development and prevention of stenosis in a stented coronary artery.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 366(1879), 3343-3360.
- Barber DC, Oubel E, Frangi AF & Hose DR (2007) Efficient computational fluid dynamics mesh generation by image registration.. Med Image Anal, 11(6), 648-662.
- Harrison SE, Smith SM, Bernsdorf J, Hose DR & Lawford PV (2007) Application and validation of the lattice Boltzmann method for modelling flow-related clotting.. J Biomech, 40(13), 3023-3028.
- Jeays AD, Lawford PV, Gillott R, Spencer P, Barber DC, Bardhan KD & Hose DR (2007) Characterisation of the haemodynamics of the superior mesenteric artery.. J Biomech, 40(9), 1916-1926.
- Hose DR, Narracott AJ, Penrose JMT, Baguley D, Jones IP & Lawford PV (2006) Fundamental mechanics of aortic heart valve closure.. J Biomech, 39(5), 958-967.
- Hose DR, Narracott AJ, Griffiths B, Mahmood S, Gunn J, Sweeney D & Lawford PV (2004) A thermal analogy for modelling drug elution from cardiovascular stents.. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin, 7(5), 257-264.
- Walker DC, Southgate J, Hill G, Holcombe M, Hose DR, Wood SM, Mac Neil S & Smallwood RH (2004) The epitheliome: agent-based modelling of the social behaviour of cells.. Biosystems, 76(1-3), 89-100. View this article in WRRO