Professor Pat Lawford PhD
Professor of Physiological Modelling
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Telephone: +44 114 215 9535
Fax: +44 114 271 1863
Secretary: Ms Susan Furness
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9506
The key driving force, throughout my career, has been my interest in the application of physics and engineering to medicine. After graduating in biological sciences (BSc Human Anatomy and Cell Biology) my doctoral studies focused on the development of microinterferometric methods for the study of degeneration and healing of articular cartilage. This was followed by a 4 year postdoctoral research post in Medical Physics, in Sheffield working on the development of a novel bioprosthetic heart valve. In 1986, I was appointed as an NHS Senior Physicist, responsible for the UK Department of Health Centre for Heart Valve Evaluation, and subsequently spent 3 years as a Project Manager for a joint University/NHS Institute providing evaluation services to the medical devices industry. In August 1991 I returned to academic medical physics to lead a new Masters programme in Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering.
I am currently Professor of Physiological Modelling in the Departmnet of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease.
My main activity is in the area of cardiovascular biomechanics and in cardiovascular implant devices. My key interest is the development and use of computational models for the study of cardiovascular disease and its treatment. My primary aim is the translation of modelling tools to clinical workflows and the use of predictive modelling in treatment planning. This work falls within the remit of the European Union´s Virtual Physiological Human (VPH) initiative.
I have had a sustained interest in Masters Level teaching for a number of years. I was course Director for the Masters Programme in Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering. I have also been involved in the steering group for Masters programmes in the Medical School. I now lead this activity in the Medical School. I also helping to develop postgraduate training modules for VPH Training at a European level.
- Associate Editor – Journal Medical Engineering and Technology.
- Member of British Standards Committee, Cardiovascular Implants (CG/150/02).
- Member of British Standards Committee, Biological evaluation of medical devices (CH/194).
- Member of British Standards Committee, Cardiac valves (ISO/TC 150/SC 2WG 1).
- euHeart: Integrated Cardiac Care using Patient-Specific Cardiovascular Modeling. Funded by the European Community’s 7th Framework Programme under the Information Society and Media’s Virtual Physiological Human initiative. Grant agreement 224495.
- Translating Biomedical Modelling to the Heart of the Clinic Funded by the EPSRC under its Digital Economy programme in the Grand Challenges in IT for Healthcare initiative.
- Virtual Physiological Human Network of Excellence: Funded by the European Community’s 7th Framework Programme under the Information Society and Media’s Virtual Physiological Human initiative.
- @neurIST: Integrated Biomedical Informatics for Management of Cerebral Aneurysms (2006-2010), Funded by the European Community’s 6th Framework Programme by DG-Infso.
- COAST: Complex Automata for modelling and simulation of complex systems. Funded by the European Community’s Future and Emerging Technologies Programme.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Lawford PV, Narracott AV, McCormack K, Bisbal J, Martin C, Bijnens B, Brook B, Zachariou M, Freixa JVI, Kohl P, Fletcher K & Diaz-Zuccarini V (2010) Virtual physiological human: training challenges.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 368(1921), 2841-2851.
- Yasuno K, Bilguvar K, Bijlenga P, Low S-K, Krischek B, Auburger G, Simon M, Krex D, Arlier Z, Nayak N, Ruigrok YM, Niemelä M, Tajima A, von und zu Fraunberg M, Dóczi T, Wirjatijasa F, Hata A, Blasco J, Oszvald A, Kasuya H, Zilani G, Schoch B, Singh P, Stüer C, Risselada R, Beck J, Sola T, Ricciardi F, Aromaa A, Illig T, Schreiber S, van Duijn CM, van den Berg LH, Perret C, Proust C, Roder C, Ozturk AK, Gaál E, Berg D, Geisen C, Friedrich CM, Summers P, Frangi AF, State MW, Wichmann HE, Breteler MMB, Wijmenga C, Mane S, Peltonen L, Elio V, Sturkenboom MCJM, Lawford P, Byrne J, Macho J, Sandalcioglu EI, Meyer B, Raabe A, Steinmetz H, Rüfenacht D, Jääskeläinen JE, Hernesniemi J, Rinkel GJE, Zembutsu H, Inoue I, Palotie A, Cambien F, Nakamura Y, Lifton RP & Günel M (2010) Genome-wide association study of intracranial aneurysm identifies three new risk loci.. Nat Genet, 42(5), 420-425. View this article in WRRO
- Singh PK, Marzo A, Howard B, Rufenacht DA, Bijlenga P, Frangi AF, Lawford PV, Coley SC, Hose DR & Patel UJ (2010) Effects of smoking and hypertension on wall shear stress and oscillatory shear index at the site of intracranial aneurysm formation.. Clin Neurol Neurosurg, 112(4), 306-313.
- Shi Y, Lawford PV & Hose DR (2010) Numerical modeling of hemodynamics with pulsatile impeller pump support.. Ann Biomed Eng, 38(8), 2621-2634.
- Diaz-Zuccarini V, Rafirou D, LeFevre J, Hose DR & Lawford PV (2009) Systemic modelling and computational physiology: The application of Bond Graph boundary conditions for 3D cardiovascular models. SIMUL MODEL PRACT TH, 17(1), 125-136.
- Lawford PV, Ventikos Y, Khir AW, Atherton M, Evans D, Hose DR, Care CM, Watton PN, Halliday I, Walker DC, Hollis AP & Collins MW (2008) Modelling the interaction of haemodynamics and the artery wall: current status and future prospects.. Biomed Pharmacother, 62(8), 530-535.
- Evans DJW, Lawford PV, Gunn J, Walker D, Hose DR, Smallwood RH, Chopard B, Krafczyk M, Bernsdorf J & Hoekstra A (2008) The application of multiscale modelling to the process of development and prevention of stenosis in a stented coronary artery.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 366(1879), 3343-3360.
- Harrison SE, Bernsdorf J, Hose DR & Lawford PV (2008) A lattice Boltzmann framework for simulation of thrombogenesis. PROG COMPUT FLUID DY, 8(1-4), 121-128.
Conference proceedings papers
- Bernsdorf J, Harrison SE, Smith SM, Lawford PV & Hose DR (2008) Applying the lattice Boltzmann technique to biofluids: A novel approach to simulate blood coagulation. COMPUTERS & MATHEMATICS WITH APPLICATIONS, Vol. 55(7) (pp 1408-1414)