Professor Michael Makris MA, MB BS, MD, FRCP, FRCPath
Professor of Haemostasis & Thrombosis
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44(0)114 271 2760
Fax: +44(0)114 275 6126
Secretary: Claire Warsop
Secretary Telephone: +44(0)114 226 1408
Secretary Email: email@example.com
I joined the University of Sheffield in 1989 as a Lecturer in Haematology. Following completion of my haematology training I was appointed initially Senior Lecturer in 1994 followed by Reader in Haemostasis and Thrombosis in 2002. I became Professor of Haemostasis & Thrombosis in 2013. I hold an Honorary contract with the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust as a Consultant Haematologist and I am the president of the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders (EAHAD).
My research activities are in the area of haemostasis and thrombosis centring around a number of areas:
- The use of global coagulation assays (thrombin generation estimation and thromboelastography) for the diagnosis and management of inherited and acquired haemostatic and thrombotic disorders.
- The role of different coagulation and chromogenic assays in the accurate assessment of FVIII:C.
- The molecular pathogenesis and diagnosis of inherited platelet defects with special emphasis on Glanzmann´s thrombasthenia and MYH-9 related thrombocytopenias.
- The natural history and management of chronic hepatitis C in haemophilia.
- Adverse event reporting in patients with inherited bleeding disorders. I am the project leader of the EUHASS system.
- Editor of the journal Haemophilia.
- Editorial board member for British Journal of Haematology, Blood Transfusion and Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- (2016) Erratum to Fischer et al. "Inhibitor development in nonsevere haemophilia across Europe" (Thromb Haemost 2015; 114: 670-675).. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 115(3), 684.
- Fischer K, Iorio A, Lassila R, Peyvandi F, Calizzani G, Gatt A, Lambert T, Windyga J, Gilman EA & Makris M (2015) Inhibitor development in non-severe haemophilia across Europe. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 114(4), 670-675. View this article in WRRO
- Fischer K, Lassila R, Peyvandi F, Calizzani G, Gatt A, Lambert T, Windyga J, Iorio A, Gilman E & Makris M (2015) Inhibitor development in haemophilia according to concentrate. Four-year results from the European HAemophilia Safety Surveillance (EUHASS) project.. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 113(5), 968-975. View this article in WRRO
- Fransen van de Putte DE, Makris M, Fischer K, Yee TT, Kirk L, van Erpecum KJ, Patch D, Posthouwer D & Mauser-Bunschoten EP (2014) Long-term follow-up of hepatitis C infection in a large cohort of patients with inherited bleeding disorders.. J Hepatol, 60(1), 39-45.
- Vossen CY, Walker ID, Svensson P, Souto JC, Scharrer I, Preston FE, Palareti G, Pabinger I, van der Meer FJM, Makris M , Fontcuberta J et al (2005) Recurrence rate after a first venous thrombosis in patients with familial thrombophilia. ARTERIOSCL THROM VAS, 25(9), 1992-1997.
- Vossen CY, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, Van der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Preston FE, Scharrer I, Souto JC , Svensson P et al (2005) Risk of a first venous thrombotic event in carriers of a familial thrombophilic defect. The European Prospective Cohort on Thrombophilia (EPCOT). J THROMB HAEMOST, 3(3), 459-464.
- Vossen CY, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, Van Der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Preston FE, Scharrer I, Souto JC , Svensson P et al (2004) Familial thrombophilia and lifetime risk of venous thrombosis. J THROMB HAEMOST, 2(9), 1526-1532.
- Vossen CY, Preston FE, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, Van Der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Scharrer I, Souto JC , Svensson P et al (2004) Hereditary thrombophilia and fetal loss: a prospective follow-up study. J THROMB HAEMOST, 2(4), 592-596.
- Hind D, Lloyd-Jones M, Makris M & Paisley S (2004) Recombinant Factor VIIa concentrate versus plasma derived concentrates for the treatment of acute bleeding episodes in people with Haemophilia A and inhibitors.. Cochrane Database Syst Rev(2), CD004449.
- Li TC, Makris M, Tomsu M, Tuckerman E & Laird S (2002) Recurrent miscarriage: aetiology, management and prognosis.. Hum Reprod Update, 8(5), 463-481.
- Makris M, Colvin B, Gupta V, Shields ML & Smith MP (2002) Venous thrombosis following the use of intermediate purity FVIII concentrate to treat patients with von Willebrand's disease.. Thromb Haemost, 88(3), 387-388.