Professor Michael Makris MA, MB BS, MD, FRCP, FRCPath
Professor of Haemostasis & Thrombosis
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44(0)114 271 2760
Fax: +44(0)114 275 6126
Secretary: Claire Warsop
Secretary Telephone: +44(0)114 226 1408
Secretary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I joined the University of Sheffield in 1989 as a Lecturer in Haematology. Following completion of my haematology training I was appointed initially Senior Lecturer in 1994 followed by Reader in Haemostasis and Thrombosis in 2002. I became Professor of Haemostasis & Thrombosis in 2013. I hold an Honorary contract with the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust as a Consultant Haematologist and I am the Director of the Sheffield Haemophilia and Thrombosis Centre.
My research activities are in the area of haemostasis and thrombosis centring around a number of areas:
- The use of global coagulation assays (thrombin generation estimation and thromboelastography) for the diagnosis and management of inherited and acquired haemostatic and thrombotic disorders.
- The role of different coagulation and chromogenic assays in the accurate assessment of FVIII:C.
- The molecular pathogenesis and diagnosis of inherited platelet defects with special emphasis on Glanzmann´s thrombasthenia and MYH-9 related thrombocytopenias.
- The natural history and management of chronic hepatitis C in haemophilia.
- Adverse event reporting in patients with inherited bleeding disorders. I am the project leader of the EUHASS system.
- Editor of the journal Haemophilia.
- Editorial board member for British Journal of Haematology, Blood Transfusion and Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Fischer K, Iorio A, Lassila R, Peyvandi F, Calizzani G, Gatt A, Lambert T, Windyga J, Gilman EA, Hollings-Worth R, Makris M & Participants EUHASS (2016) Inhibitor development in non-severe haemophilia across Europe (vol 114, pg 670, 2015). THROMBOSIS AND HAEMOSTASIS, 115(3), 684-684.
- Fischer K, Iorio A, Lassila R, Peyvandi F, Calizzani G, Gatt A, Lambert T, Windyga J, Gilman EA & Makris M (2015) Inhibitor development in non-severe haemophilia across Europe. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 114(4), 670-675. View this article in WRRO
- Fischer K, Lassila R, Peyvandi F, Calizzani G, Gatt A, Lambert T, Windyga J, Iorio A, Gilman E, Makris M, Fischer K, Lassila R, Gatt A, Lambert T, Windyga J, Iorio A & Makris M (2015) Inhibitor development in haemophilia according to concentrate: Four-year results from the European haemophilia safety surveillance (EUHASS) project. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 113(5), 968-975. View this article in WRRO
- Fransen van de Putte DE, Makris M, Fischer K, Yee TT, Kirk L, van Erpecum KJ, Patch D, Posthouwer D & Mauser-Bunschoten EP (2014) Long-term follow-up of hepatitis C infection in a large cohort of patients with inherited bleeding disorders.. J Hepatol, 60(1), 39-45.
- Vossen CY, Walker ID, Svensson P, Souto JC, Scharrer I, Preston FE, Palareti G, Pabinger I, van der Meer FJM, Makris M, Fontcuberta J, Conard J & Rosendaal FR (2005) Recurrence rate after a first venous thrombosis in patients with familial thrombophilia. ARTERIOSCL THROM VAS, 25(9), 1992-1997.
- Vossen CY, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, Van der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Preston FE, Scharrer I, Souto JC, Svensson P, Walker ID & Rosendaal FR (2005) Risk of a first venous thrombotic event in carriers of a familial thrombophilic defect. The European Prospective Cohort on Thrombophilia (EPCOT). J THROMB HAEMOST, 3(3), 459-464.
- Vossen CY, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, Van Der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Preston FE, Scharrer I, Souto JC, Svensson P, Walker ID & Rosendaal FR (2004) Familial thrombophilia and lifetime risk of venous thrombosis. J THROMB HAEMOST, 2(9), 1526-1532.
- Vossen CY, Preston FE, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, Van Der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Scharrer I, Souto JC, Svensson P, Walker ID & Rosendaal FR (2004) Hereditary thrombophilia and fetal loss: a prospective follow-up study. J THROMB HAEMOST, 2(4), 592-596.
- Hind D, Lloyd-Jones M, Makris M & Paisley S (2004) Recombinant Factor VIIa concentrate versus plasma derived concentrates for the treatment of acute bleeding episodes in people with Haemophilia A and inhibitors.. Cochrane Database Syst Rev(2), CD004449.
- Li TC, Makris M, Tomsu M, Tuckerman E & Laird S (2002) Recurrent miscarriage: aetiology, management and prognosis.. Hum Reprod Update, 8(5), 463-481.
- Makris M, Colvin B, Gupta V, Shields ML & Smith MP (2002) Venous thrombosis following the use of intermediate purity FVIII concentrate to treat patients with von Willebrand's disease.. Thromb Haemost, 88(3), 387-388.