Professor Paul Evans
Professor of Cardiovascular Science
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9525
My research career commenced in Cambridge where I studied the immunology of transplant rejection as a PhD in Professor Graeme Alexander’s lab. Following Post-doctoral positions at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, USA) and the Babraham Institute, Cambridge, UK (with Dr Peter Kilshaw), I was awarded Training and Senior Fellowships by Kidney Research UK to study the intracellular signalling pathways that control activation and injury of endothelial cells. This led to my discovery of a family of deubiquitinating enzymes that suppress inflammation by inhibiting the transcription factor NF-kB. Its significance was recognized by the British Transplantation Society who awarded me the Medawar Prize in 2000. I joined Imperial College London in 2004 as a Senior Lecturer (Reader in 2010) and established the Intracellular Signalling Laboratory within the BHF Cardiovascular Sciences Unit (headed by Prof. Dorian Haskard). I was appointed Chair of Cardiovascular Science at the University of Sheffield in 2011.
My research focusses on the biomechanical mechanisms that control atherosclerosis, a disease of arteries that can lead to angina, heart attack and stroke. Branches and bends of arteries are prone to atherosclerosis because complex patterns of blood flow at these sites generate frictional forces (shear stress) that trigger pathophysiological changes in endothelial cells. My laboratory combines genomics approaches with unbiased functional screening and biochemical studies to identify the signaling pathways and transcriptional programs that regulate endothelial cell responses to flow. The goal is to identify molecules within these pathways that can be targeted to prevent or treat atherosclerosis. The cross-disciplinary nature of my work has led to interactions with physicist and engineers as well as molecular and cellular biologists and clinical scientists.
I have received >£5.8M research funding as Principal Investigator (PI) including a £1M BHF Program awarded in 2013. My research has been recognized by the British Atherosclerosis Society (John French Lecture) and the British Cardiovascular Society (Michael Davies Award). I have trained 20 PhD/MD students to completion (13 as 1st supervisor), 14 MSc/MRes students and mentored 12 Post-doctoral Research Associates, of whom three have subsequently obtained PI positions in other universities. Members of my laboratory have won 17 prestigious national or international prizes including the European Society for Cardiology Young Investigator First Prize and UK Young Life Scientist First Prize (see below).
Awards for the Evans Lab:
|Sept 2016||British Atherosclerosis Society Best Poster Prize (Shuang Feng)|
|April 2015||10th International Symposium on Biomechanics and Vascular Biology – best oral presentation (Miss Marwa Mahmoud)|
|Sept 2014||British Atherosclerosis Society Young Investigator Prize awarded to Marwa Mahmoud|
|July 2014||ESC Frontiers in Cardiovascular Biology, Barcelona - Young Investigator Award (first prize) awarded to Dr Sarah Hsiao|
|July 2014||ESC Frontiers in Cardiovascular Biology, Barcelona – poster prize (Mr Ismael Gauci)|
|April 2014||9th International Symposium on Biomechanics and Vascular Biology – best oral presentation (Dr Sarah Hsiao)|
|April 2012||Society for Cardiovascular Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland – Ronald Edwards Medal (Mr Bao Nguyen)|
|June 2011||Scholarship to attend the MIT-Imperial Summer School, MIT, USA (Amalia de Luca)|
|June 2010||British Atherosclerosis Society/ British Society for Cardiovascular Research Young Investigator Award (Simon Cuhlmann)|
|April 2010||5th International Symposium on Biomechanics and Vascular Biology – best oral presentation (Dr Kim Van der Heiden)|
|March 2010||Society for Cardiovascular Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland - Ronald Edwards Medal (Mr Mustafa Zakkar)|
|May 2009||Promega UK Young Life Scientist Award - 1st Prize (Dr Kim Van der Heiden)|
- Chair of the European Society for Cardiology Working Group on Atherosclerosis and Vascular Biology Chair (2016-2018)
- European Society for Cardiology Council on Stroke (2016-2018)
- European Vascular Biology Organisation Council Member (2014-2018)
- British Society for Cardiovascular Research Board Member (2014-2018)
- Committee Member for the International Symposium on Biomechanics in Vascular Biology and Cardiovascular Disease (2013-)
- British Atherosclerosis Society Committee Member (2011-2014)
Grant and Fellowship Committees
- MRC non-clinical Fellowships Panel (2017 – 2021)
- NC3Rs Fellowships Committee Member (2015 – 2018)
- External Examiner for the University of Cambridge MRes in Cardiovascular Research (2017-)
- British Heart Foundation Project Grant Committee Member (2012-2015)
- NC3Rs Project Grant Committee Member (2013 – 2015)
- Rapporteur for the European Commission - Marie Curie Frameworks 7 (2010) and 6 (2005); Member of the MRC College of Experts (2004 - 2009); Member of the MRC Scientific Advisory Group (2003-2004)
Editorial Board Member for ATVB (2017-), Biochemical Journal (2009-) and Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine (2017-). Guest Editor for Cardiovascular Research (2013; Spotlight Issue on Biomechanical Factors in Cardiovascular Disease). Guest Editor for Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2015). Senior Editor for the Journal of Inflammation (2009-2015). Reviewer for international scientific journals including Circulation, Circ Res, ATVB, Cardiovasc Res, Scientific Rep, Nat Comm, J Biol Chem, Biochem J. Reviewer of Project Grant/ Fellowship applications for BHF, MRC, BBSRC, NC3Rs, European Commission, international research councils and other UK medical charities.
- Identification of novel mechanoresponsive signalling networks that control endothelial cell injury and activation. Professor Evans with Dr Tim Chico and Professor Henning Walczak (University College London). British Heart Foundation Program Funding.
- The role of JAK-STAT signalling in vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis. Professor Evans and Dr Maria Fragiadaki. British Heart Foundation Funding.
- HIF transcription factors in focal atherosclerosis. Professor Evans and Dr Maria Fragiadaki. A*STAR funding.
- Role of c-Rel in vascular injury and atherogenesis. Professor Evans and Professor Fiona Oakley (University of Newcastle). DiMen funding.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Luong L, Duckles H, Schenkel T, Mahmoud M, Lopez-Tremoleda JL, Wylezinska-Arridge M, Ali M, Bowden NP, Villa-Uriol M, van der Heiden K , Xing R et al (2017) Heart rate reduction with ivabradine promotes shear stress-dependent anti-inflammatory mechanisms in arteries. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 116(1), 181-190. View this article in WRRO
- Feng S, Bowden N, Fragiadaki M, Souilhol C, Hsiao S, Mahmoud M, Allen S, Pirri D, Ayllon BT, Akhtar S , Thompson AAR et al (2017) Mechanical Activation of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1α Drives Endothelial Dysfunction at Atheroprone Sites.. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 37(11), 2087-2101. View this article in WRRO
- Mahmoud M, Serbanovic-Canic J, Feng S, Souilhol C, Xing R, Hsiao S, Mammoto A, Chen J, Ariaans M, Francis S , Van der Heiden K et al (2017) Shear stress induces endothelial-to-mesenchymal transition via the transcription factor Snail. Scientific Reports, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Hsiao ST, Spencer T, Boldock L, Prosseda SD, Xanthis I, Tovar-Lopez FJ, Van Beusekom HMM, Khamis RY, Foin N, Bowden N , Hussain A et al (2016) Endothelial repair in stented arteries is accelerated by inhibition of Rho-associated protein kinase. Cardiovascular Research, 112(3), 689-701. View this article in WRRO
- Serbanovic-Canic J, de Luca A, Warboys C, Ferreira PF, Luong LA, Hsiao S, Gauci I, Mahmoud M, Feng S, Souilhol C , Bowden N et al (2016) Zebrafish Model for Functional Screening of Flow-Responsive Genes.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 37, 130-143. View this article in WRRO
- Mahmoud M, Kim HR, Xing R, Hsiao S, Mammmoto A, Chen J, Serbanovic-Canic J, Feng S, Bowden NP, Maguire R , Ariaans M et al (2016) TWIST1 Integrates Endothelial Responses to Flow in Vascular Dysfunction and Atherosclerosis. Circulation Research, 119, 450-462. View this article in WRRO
- Enesa K, Moll HP, Luong L, Ferran C & Evans PC (2015) A20 suppresses vascular inflammation by recruiting proinflammatory signaling molecules to intracellular aggresomes. The FASEB Journal, 29(5), 1869-1878. View this article in WRRO
- Li J, Hou B, Tumova S, Muraki K, Bruns A, Ludlow MJ, Sedo A, Hyman AJ, McKeown L, Young RS , Yuldasheva NY et al (2014) Piezo1 integration of vascular architecture with physiological force. Nature, 515(7526), 279-282. View this article in WRRO
- Cuhlmann S, Gsell W, Van der Heiden K, Habib J, Tremoleda JL, Khalil M, Turkheimer F, Meens MJ, Kwak BR, Bird J , Davenport AP et al (2014) In Vivo Mapping of Vascular Inflammation Using the Translocator Protein Tracer 18 F-FEDAA1106 . Molecular Imaging, 13(6), 7290.2014.00014-7290.2014.00014.
- Amini N, Boyle JJ, Moers B, Warboys CM, Malik TH, Zakkar M, Francis SE, Mason JC, Haskard DO & Evans PC (2014) Requirement of JNK1 for endothelial cell injury in atherogenesis.. Atherosclerosis, 235(2), 613-618.
- Warboys CM, de Luca A, Amini N, Luong L, Duckles H, Hsiao S, White A, Biswas S, Khamis R, Chong CK , Cheung W-M et al (2014) Disturbed flow promotes endothelial senescence via a p53-dependent pathway.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 34(5), 985-995.
- Luong LA, Fragiadaki M, Smith J, Boyle J, Lutz J, Dean JLE, Harten S, Ashcroft M, Walmsley SR, Haskard DO , Maxwell PH et al (2013) Cezanne regulates inflammatory responses to hypoxia in endothelial cells by targeting TRAF6 for deubiquitination.. Circ Res, 112(12), 1583-1591.
- Cuhlmann S, Van der Heiden K, Saliba D, Tremoleda JL, Khalil M, Zakkar M, Chaudhury H, Luong LA, Mason JC, Udalova I , Gsell W et al (2011) Disturbed blood flow induces RelA expression via c-Jun N-terminal kinase 1: a novel mode of NF-κB regulation that promotes arterial inflammation.. Circ Res, 108(8), 950-959.
- Zakkar M, Luong LA, Chaudhury H, Ruud O, Punjabi PP, Anderson JR, Mullholand JW, Clements AT, Krams R, Foin N , Athanasiou T et al (2011) Dexamethasone arterializes venous endothelial cells by inducing mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1: a novel antiinflammatory treatment for vein grafts?. Circulation, 123(5), 524-532.
- Zakkar M, Van der Heiden K, Luong LA, Chaudhury H, Cuhlmann S, Hamdulay SS, Krams R, Edirisinghe I, Rahman I, Carlsen H , Haskard DO et al (2009) Activation of Nrf2 in endothelial cells protects arteries from exhibiting a proinflammatory state.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 29(11), 1851-1857.
- Zakkar M, Chaudhury H, Sandvik G, Enesa K, Luong LA, Cuhlmann S, Mason JC, Krams R, Clark AR, Haskard DO & Evans PC (2008) Increased endothelial mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1 expression suppresses proinflammatory activation at sites that are resistant to atherosclerosis.. Circ Res, 103(7), 726-732.