Professor David S Sanders [MB ChB, MD, FRCP, FACG]
Consultant Gastroenterologist and Honorary Professor of Gastroenterology
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Room: P39 Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Tel: +44 (0) 114 226 1179
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 2692
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 and I am currently a Professor of Gastroenterology and a Consultant Gastroenterologist at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust & the University of Sheffield. I have published >300 peer reviewed papers (H-score 50). My clinical work is with patients who have coeliac disease and I have been fortunate to be awarded the Coeliac UK Healthcare Professional of the Year Award (2010) & the inaugural Complete Nutrition Coeliac Health Care Professional Award (2013). I work with amazing colleagues as part of the Sheffield Gastroenterology Team and we have been recognised for our standards of care. The Small Bowel Endoscopy Service won one of the inaugural British Society of Gastroenterology National GI Care awards (2011) & the Medipex award (2013). In 2012 the PEG team won both Health Service Journal primary care and integrated clinical care awards. In 2014 the Hallamshire Gastroenterology team, won one of the SAGE (Shire Awards for Gastrointestinal Excellence) awards for their primary care and GI bleed unit services.
I am internationally recognised for my work in coeliac disease, gluten related disorders, gastrostomy feeding and small bowel endoscopy. My other research interests include pancreatic exocrine insufficiency, irritable bowel syndrome and gastrointestinal bleeding. In 2010 I received a European Rising Star Award and Cuthbertson Medal in 2011 (UK Nutrition Society). I have been selected to receive the most prestigious award of the Swedish Gastroenterology Society in 2017 (Bengt Ihre Award).
I teach and lecture extensively within the UK and Internationally on post-graduate courses. I also give invited public lectures. This is linked to the public interest in gluten, which inspired me to write ‘Gluten Attack’ a book published by Random House Penguin which has received critical acclaim. http://www.profdavidsanders.co.uk/
Professor Sanders has chaired both the British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) Small Bowel and Nutrition Section (2006-2012) & the BSG Audit Committee (2010-2013). He is the current Chair of the Coeliac UK Health Advisory Council, BSG Council Member and President of the International Society for the Study of Coeliac Disease (ISSCD).
- Aziz I, Peerally MF, Barnes JH, Kandasamy V, Whiteley J, Partridge D, Vergani P, Cross SS, Green PH, Sanders DS. The clinical and phenotypic assessment of seronegative villous atrophy; a prospective UK centre experience evaluating 200 cases over a 15 year period (2000-2015). Gut (In-press August 2016)
- Mooney PD, Kurien M, Evans KE, Rosario E, Cross SS, Vergani P, Hadjivassiliou M, Murray JA, Sanders DS. Clinical and Immunologic Features of Ultra-short Celiac Disease. Gastroenterology 2016;150(5):1125-34.
- Hadjivassiliou M, Rao DG, Grünewald RA, Aeschlimann D, Sarrigiannis PG, Hoggard N, Aeschlimann P, Mooney PD, Sanders DS. Neurological dysfunction in Coeliac Disease and Non-coeliac Gluten Sensitivity. Am J Gastroenterol 2016;111(4):561-7.
- Catassi C, Elli L, Bonaz B, Bouma G, Carroccio A, Castillejo G, Ciacci C, Cristofori F, de Magistris L, Dolinsek J, Dieterich W, Francavilla R, Hadjivassiliou M, Holtmeier W, Korner U, Leffler D, Lundin K, Mazzarella G, Mulder C, Pellegrini N, Rostami K, Sanders DS, Skodje I, Schuppan D, Ullrich R, Volta U, Williams M, Zevallos V, Zopf Y, Fasano A. How the Diagnosis of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) 7 Should Be Confirmed: The Salerno Experts’ Criteria. Nutrients 2015;7(6):4966-77.
- Mooney PD, Wong SH, Kurien M, Averiginos A, Johnston AJ, Sanders DS. Increased Detection of Celiac Disease With Measurement of Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibody Before Endoscopy. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;13(7):1278-1284.
- Ludvigsson JF, Bai JC, Biagi F, Card TR, Ciacci C, Ciclitira PJ, Green PH, Hadjivassiliou M, Holdoway A, van Heel DA, Kaukinen K, Leffler DA, Leonard JN, Lundin KE, McGough N, Davidson M, Murray JA, Swift GL, Walker MM, Zingone F, Sanders DS; BSG Coeliac Disease Guidelines Development Group. Diagnosis and management of adult coeliac disease: guidelines from the British Society of Gastroenterology. Gut 2014;63(8):1210-28.
- Kurien M, Leeds JS, Robson HE, Grant J, Lee FKT, McAlindon ME, Sanders DS. Mortality in patients who receive or defer gastrostomies. Clin Gastro Hepatol 2013;11(11):1445-50.
- Ludvigsson JF, Leffler DA, Bai J, Biagi F, Fasano A, Green PHR, Hadjivassilio M, Kaukinen K, Kelly C, Leonard JN, Lundin KE, Murray JA, Sanders DS, Walker MM, Zingone F, Ciacci C. The Oslo definitions for coeliac disease and related terms. Gut 2013;62(1):43-52.
- Evans KE, Aziz I, Cross SS, Sahota GRK, Hopper AD, Hadjivassiliou, MH Sanders DS. A prospective study of duodenal bulb biopsy in newly diagnosed and established adult celiac disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2011;106(10):1837-742.
- Leeds JS, Hopper AD, Sidhu R, Simmonette A, Azadbakht N, Hoggard N, Morley S, Sanders DS. Some Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome may have Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;8(5):433-8.
- Trynka G, Zhernakova A, Romanos J, Franke L, Hunt KA, Turner G, Bruinenberg M, Heap GA, Platteel M, Ryan AW, de Kovel C, Holmes GKT, Howdle PD, Walters JRF, Sanders DS, Mulder CJJ, Mearin ML, Verbeek WHM, Trimble V, Stevens FM, Kelleher D, Barisani D, Bardella MT, McManus R, van Heel DA, Wijmenga C. Coeliac disease-associated risk variants in TNFAIP3 and REL implicate altered NF- B signalling. Gut 2009;58:1078-1083.
- Hunt KA, Zhernakova A, Turner G, Heap GA, Franke L, Bruinenberg M, Romanos J, Dinesen LC, Ryan AW, Panesar D, Gwilliam R, Takeuchi F, McClaren WM, Holmes GK, Howdle PD, Walters JRF, Sanders DS, Playford RJ, Trynka G, Mulder CJ, Mearin ML, Verbeek WH, Trimble V, Stevens FM, O’Morain C, Kennedy NP, Kelleher D, Pennington DJ, Strachan DP, McArdle WL, Mein CA, Wapenaar MC, Deloukas P, McGinnis R, McManus R, Wijmenga C, Van Heel D. Newly identified genetic risk variants for celiac disease related to the immune response. Nat Genet 2008;40:395-402.
- Hopper AD, Cross SS, Hurlstone DP, McAlindon ME, Lobo AJ, Hadjivassiliou M, Sloan ME, Dixon S, Sanders DS. Pre-endoscopy serological testing for coeliac disease – an evaluated clinical decision tool. BMJ 2007;334(7596):729-32.
- Sanders DS, Carter MJ, Hurlstone DP, Pearce A, Milford-Ward A, McAlindon ME, Lobo AJ. Association of adult coeliac disease with irritable bowel syndrome: a case-control study in patients fulfilling the ROME 2 criteria referred to secondary care. Lancet 2001;358:1504-8.
- Sanders DS, Carter MJ, D’Silva J, James G, Bolton RP, Bardhan KD. Survival Analysis in Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy: A worse outcome in patients with dementia. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:1472-75.