Dr Mark S Thomas BSc PhD
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9557
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I obtained my PhD in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Southampton followed by postdoctoral stints in Masayasu Nomura’s lab at the Institute for Enzyme Research, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and at the University of California-Irvine. I then spent some time working in Richard Flavell's group at IPSR in Cambridge and with Robert Glass at the University of Nottingham. I joined the University of Sheffield in 1994.
Virulence mechanisms of pathogenic members of the Burkholderia, particularly B. cenocepacia and B. pseudomallei. Areas of interest include:
- Iron acquisition mechanisms.
- Protein toxins and their mechanism of secretion.
- Response to environmental stress, particularly the role of extracytoplasmic function (ECF) sigma factors.
Currently, I teach bacterial molecular genetics, microbial pathogenicity, and microbiology to science undergraduates, medical students and Masters students.
- The mechanism of toxin secretion by the type VI secretion systems of B. cenocepacia and B. pseudomallei
- Identification and characterisation of secreted effector proteins of B. cenocepacia and B. pseudomallei
- Mechanisms of stress sensing and response in pathogenic Burkholderia
- How does B. cenocepacia survive in a low iron environment?
- Why does B. cenocepacia have so many TonB-dependent transporters?
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Shastri S, Spiewak HL, Sofoluwe A, Eidsvaag VA, Asghar AH, Pereira T, Bull EH, Butt AT & Thomas MS (2017) An efficient system for the generation of marked genetic mutants in members of the genus Burkholderia. Plasmid, 89, 49-56. View this article in WRRO
- Butt AT & Thomas MS (2017) Iron Acquisition Mechanisms and Their Role in the Virulence of Burkholderia Species. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Tyrrell J, Whelan N, Wright C, Sá-Correia I, McClean S, Thomas M & Callaghan M (2015) Investigation of the multifaceted iron acquisition strategies of Burkholderia cenocepacia. BioMetals, 28(2), 367-380. View this article in WRRO
- Thomas MS & Wigneshweraraj S (2014) Regulation of virulence gene expression. Virulence, 5(8), 832-834. View this article in WRRO
- Twist KA, Husnain SI, Franke JD, Jain D, Campbell EA, Nickels BE, Thomas MS, Darst SA & Westblade LF (2011) A novel method for the production of in vivo-assembled, recombinant Escherichia coli RNA polymerase lacking the alpha C-terminal domain. PROTEIN SCI, 20(6), 986-995.
- Łochowska A, Iwanicka-Nowicka R, Zielak A, Modelewska A, Thomas MS & Hryniewicz MM (2011) Regulation of sulfur assimilation pathways in Burkholderia cenocepacia through control of genes by the SsuR transcription factor.. J Bacteriol, 193(8), 1843-1853.
- Asghar AH, Shastri S, Dave E, Wowk I, Agnoli K, Cook AM & Thomas MS (2011) The pobA gene of Burkholderia cenocepacia encodes a group I Sfp-type phosphopantetheinyltransferase required for biosynthesis of the siderophores ornibactin and pyochelin.. Microbiology, 157(Pt 2), 349-361.
- Aschtgen MS, Thomas MS & Cascales E (2010) Anchoring the type VI secretion system to the peptidoglycan TssL, TagL, TagP,... what else?. Virulence, 1(6), 535-540.
- Husnain SI & Thomas MS (2008) Downregulation of the Escherichia coli guaB promoter by FIS.. Microbiology, 154(Pt 6), 1729-1738. View this article in WRRO
- Husnain SI & Thomas MS (2008) The UP element is necessary but not sufficient for growth rate-dependent control of the Escherichia coli guaB promoter.. J Bacteriol, 190(7), 2450-2457.
- Shalom G, Shaw JG & Thomas MS (2007) In vivo expression technology identifies a type VI secretion system locus in Burkholderia pseudomallei that is induced upon invasion of macrophages.. Microbiology, 153(Pt 8), 2689-2699.
- Thomas MS (2007) Iron acquisition mechanisms of the Burkholderia cepacia complex.. Biometals, 20(3-4), 431-452.
- Kedzierska B, Szambowska A, Herman-Antosiewicz A, Lee DJ, Busby SJW, Wegrzyn G & Thomas MS (2007) The C-terminal domain of the Escherichia coli RNA polymerase alpha subunit plays a role in the CI-dependent activation of the bacteriophage lambda p(M) promoter. NUCLEIC ACIDS RES, 35(7), 2311-2320. View this article in WRRO
- Iwanicka-Nowicka R, Zielak A, Cook AM, Thomas MS & Hryniewicz MM (2007) Regulation of sulfur assimilation pathways in Burkholderia cenocepacia: Identification of transcription factors CysB and SsuR and their role in control of target genes. J BACTERIOL, 189(5), 1675-1688.
- Agnoli K, Lowe CA, Farmer KL, Husnain SI & Thomas MS (2006) The ornibactin biosynthesis and transport genes of Burkholderia cenocepacia are regulated by an extracytoplasmic function sigma factor which is a part of the Fur regulon.. J Bacteriol, 188(10), 3631-3644.