Combined CAS for postgraduate students
Postgraduate applicants due to take a University of Sheffield English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC) pre-sessional course lasting 4 or 6 weeks may be eligible for a Combined CAS. A Combined CAS covers the pre-sessional course and the degree course, meaning that you only need to apply for your Tier 4 visa once.
A Combined CAS can be issued if:
- You hold an offer for a postgraduate degree course at the University of Sheffield
- The start date of your degree course is less than one month after the end date of your ELTC course
- You request a Combined CAS from the ELTC (on the acceptance form for your pre-sessional course) by the following deadlines:
► 6-week pre-sessional course: 11 June 2019
► 4-week pre-sessional course: 25 June 2019
- You hold an IELTS certificate awarded less than 2 years before the start date of your degree course, or other acceptable English language qualification. If you have outstanding academic offer conditions, we recommend that you present an IELTS for UKVI to ensure you can obtain a visa for the pre-sessional course. Without an IELTS for UKVI, you will not be able to study at the ELTC if you have not met the academic conditions for your degree course by the deadlines indicated below
- You have met the English language requirement for your degree course, or your current IELTS score is only 0.5 below the English language condition issued to you
- You have met the academic conditions for your degree course, or will meet them by the following deadlines:
► 6-week pre-sessional course: 14 June 2019
► 4-week pre-sessional course: 28 June 2019
To meet the academic conditions, you should upload the following documents to your online application for your degree course. Documents dated in the future are not accepted.
- Degree certificate (confirming that you have been awarded your degree)
- Final transcript
- Official translations of the certificate and transcript if they are not in English
- IELTS Certificate or other acceptable English language qualification
- You pay any tuition fee deposit we have requested. Payment should be received at the University of Sheffield by the following deadlines:
► 6-week pre-sessional course: 21 June 2019
► 4-week pre-sessional course: 5 July 2019
If you are required to pay a tuition fee deposit, this will be shown in the Unconditional offer letter for your degree course. We cannot arrange your CAS until you have paid this deposit. More information is available on our fee deposits webpages
If you do not meet these requirements, or if you do not want a Combined CAS, we will arrange two separate CAS for you: one for the pre-sessional course, and one for the degree course. You will then apply for two separate visas. If you have two separate CAS, you will need to use an IELTS for UKVI for your pre-sessional course CAS.
APPLICANTS WITH ENGLISH LANGUAGE CONDITIONS: If we upgrade your offer from Conditional to Unconditional, the Unconditional offer will be issued on the understanding that you will attend the pre-sessional course at the ELTC, which will equip you with the English language ability required to study the degree course. Attendance at the pre-sessional course is therefore essential. We will be working closely with the ELTC to monitor attendance and engagement on the course. If you do not register on, attend and successfully complete the pre-sessional course, we will report you to the UK government and your visa will be cancelled. We will also downgrade your offer for the degree course to Conditional on the original English language requirement.
We will start to arrange Combined CAS from the end of April 2019. We will email you to let you know when your CAS application is available to you.
More information about the CAS application process is available on our CAS Application webpages: