Study and Research with Us
There are opportunities at Research and Masters degree level to join with us in researching and learning about information literacy and information behaviour.
We welcome applicants for research degrees in the areas of information literacy and information behaviour.
Current students include:
- Laura Barber: “Researching online, blended, and face-to-face teaching methods of Information Literacy within Higher Education institutions”
- Stefan P. Hodson: “Investigating information literacy in the Civil Service workplace”.
- Evanthia Tramantza: “A longitudinal comparative case study of Engineering students' Information Literacy perceptions and needs in the UK and in Greece.”
Successful graduates include:
- Dr Syeda Hina Batool (Assistant Professor, Department of Information Management, University of the Punjab, Pakistan) “Exploring Information Literacy practices in primary schools: a case of Pakistan” (Supervisor: Sheila Webber) http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/15534
- Dr Phussadee Dokphrom: (Assistant Professor, Graduate School, Silpakorn University, Thailand). “An investigation into information literacy of undergraduate studies: a case study of the Faculty of Arts, Silpakorn University Thailand.” (Supervisor: Sheila Webber)
- Dr Jess Elmore (Researcher, Learning & Work Institute, UK) “Information sharing in ESOL classes: People, objects and places”. (Supervisors: Sheila Webber, Dr Peter Stordy) http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/20026
- Dr Joseph Essel: “A study of Ghanaian teacher trainees' conceptions of information literacy” http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/14360 (Supervisors: Sheila Webber, Professor Philippa Levy).
- Dr Allen Foster (Reader, Information Management, Libraries and Archives, University of Aberystwyth) 'A non-linear model of information seeking behaviour' (Supervisor: Professor Nigel Ford)
- Dr Yazdan Mansourian (Lecturer, Charles Sturt University, Australia) 'Information Visibility on the Web and Conceptions of Success or Failure in Web Searching' (Supervisors: Professor Nigel Ford, Sheila Webber) http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/15101/
- Dr Robinah Namuleme. “Information and HIV/AIDS: an ethnographic study of information behaviour” (Supervisors: Professor Peter Bath, Professor Nigel Ford) http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3772/
- Dr Maryam Nazari: (Founder, High Impact Researchers Program) “Information Literacy for online distance learning GIS programmes.” (Supervisor: Sheila Webber)
- Dr Shahd Salha: The Variations and the Changes in the School Librarians' Perspectives of Information Literacy. (Supervisor: Sheila Webber) http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/1538
- Dr Kondwani Wella: (Librarian, Kamuzu College of Nursing, Malawi & Visiting professor, “Experiencing HIV and AIDS information: a phenomenological study of serodiscordant couples in Malawi”. (Supervisors: Sheila Webber, Professor Philippa Levy) http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/10743
If you wish to study with us, you will need to know to apply for research, and whom to approach as a potential supervisor. You should therefore find the following links useful:
Apply for research study in the Information School (opens new window) https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/is/pgr
Staff at the Information School (opens new window) https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/is/staff
Members of staff at the CILR (opens new window) https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/is/cilr/people
People studying for either the MA Librarianship or the distance learning Library and Information Services Management programmes take a core module Information Literacy (coordinated by Sheila Webber).
Students on any Information School programme can choose any information or library related subject for their dissertation, and dissertation topics of masters students who graduated in January 2019 included:
- Students' Experiences of Peer-Led Information Literacy Training in the NICE Evidence Search Student Champion Scheme (Kathryn Aylward)
- Embedding Information Literacy within the Primary School Curriculum: an Ethnographic Investigation (Danielle Stewart)
- The Research of Game Purchasing Behaviour in Final Fantasy XIV (Minxiao Cao)
- Texts, Lies and Literacy Debates: Conceptions of Information Literacy, Pedagogy, and the Discourse of Fake News (Christopher Thorpe)
- Exploring the information seeking behaviour of international students studying in the UK (Jiawen Guo)
- An exploration of the information seeking behaviour of information professionals whilst looking for CPD opportunities: a phenomenographic analysis (Radhika Jones)
- Information behaviour in the game Civilization (Jiahao Lu)
- Planting seeds: A study of information behaviours of vegans in Birmingham, UK on social media (Hannah Hickman)
Full details of Masters programmes (opens new window) https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/is/pgt