Dr Alessandro Checco
BSc (Rome), MSc (Rome) , PhD (Hamilton Institute)
Lecturer in Business Analytics
+44 114 222 2670
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
I am a mathematical engineer, particularly interested in graph theory, Markov chains, stochastic processes and randomised optmisation algorithms.
I am currently working on crowdsourcing, human computation and privacy issues in recommender systems and am working on the FashionBrain project.
- Research interests
I am currently working on the European project FashionBrain.
I am interested in the following research topics
- Data Privacy
- Algorithmic Bias and Crowdsourcing Bias
- Digital Labour and Unionisation
- The Impact of Task Abandonment in Crowdsourcing. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 33(5), 2266-2279. View this article in WRRO
- AI-assisted peer review. Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, 8(1). View this article in WRRO
- CrowdCO-OP : sharing risks and rewards in crowdsourcing. Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction, 4(CSCW2). View this article in WRRO
- Information security methodology, replication studies and information security education. Journal of Universal Computer Science, 26(7), 762-763.
- Adversarial Attacks on Crowdsourcing Quality Control. The Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 67(2020), 375-408. View this article in WRRO
- Deadline-Aware Fair Scheduling for Multi-Tenant Crowd-Powered Systems. ACM Transactions on Social Computing, 2(1), 1-29. View this article in WRRO
- The Evolution of Power and Standard Wikidata Editors: Comparing Editing Behavior over Time to Predict Lifespan and Volume of Edits. Computer Supported Cooperative Work. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Crowd-Labeling Fashion Reviews with Quality Control.. CoRR, abs/1805.09648.
- Updating Neighbour Cell List via Crowdsourced User Reports: A Framework for Measuring Time Performance. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 2018, 1-11. View this article in WRRO
- Fast, Responsive Decentralized Graph Coloring. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 25(6), 3628-3640. View this article in WRRO
- BLC: Private Matrix Factorization Recommenders via Automatic Group Learning. ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security, 20(2). View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO FashionBrain Project: A Vision for Understanding Europe's Fashion Data Universe.. CoRR, abs/1710.09788.
- Analysis of Dynamic Channel Bonding in Dense Networks of WLANs. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 16(8), 2118-2131. View this article in WRRO
- Pairwise, Magnitude, or Stars: What's the Best Way for Crowds to Rate?. CoRR, abs/1609.00683.
- The Effect of Class Imbalance and Order on Crowdsourced Relevance Judgments.. CoRR, abs/1609.02171.
- On the Interactions Between Multiple Overlapping WLANs Using Channel Bonding.. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 65(2), 796-812.
- Fair Virtualization of 802.11 Networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 23(1), 148-160.
- Throughput Analysis in CSMA/CA Networks Using Continuous Time Markov Networks: A Tutorial, 115-133.
- Learning-Based Constraint Satisfaction With Sensing Restrictions. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, 7(5), 811-820.
- Proportional Fairness in 802.11 Wireless LANs. IEEE Communications Letters, 15(8), 807-809.
- Throughput Analysis in CSMA/CA Networks Using Continuous Time Markov Networks: A Tutorial In Ganchev I, Curado M & Kassler A (Ed.), Wireless Networking for Moving Objects (pp. 115-133). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Message from the IWSMR Workshop Organizers. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
- Conducting Information Science research during pandemics: Experience and Reflections of the Information Retrieval Research Group in Sheffield. Information Science Trends - ASIS&T European Chapter Series, 9 June 2021 - 11 June 2021.
- Smart Farming in sub-Saharan Africa: Challenges and Opportunities. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Sensor Networks, 9 February 2021 - 10 February 2021.
- Modelling User Behavior Dynamics with Embeddings. Proceedings of the 29th ACM International Conference on Information & Knowledge Management
- 2nd international workshop on information security methodology and replication studies (IWSMR 2020). ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
- Integrating fate/critical data studies into data science curricula: Where are we going and how do we get there?. FAT* 2020 - Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (pp 425-435) View this article in WRRO
- Crowd Worker Strategies in Relevance Judgment Tasks. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining
- Internet of Trees: A Vision for Advanced Monitoring of Crops. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Sensor Networks, 28 February 2020 - 29 February 2020.
- Quality Control Attack Schemes in Crowdsourcing. Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 10 August 2019 - 16 August 2019.
- Augmenting Intelligence with Bias-aware Humans-in-the-loop (HumBL2019). Companion Proceedings of The 2019 World Wide Web Conference
- All those wasted hours: On task abandonment in crowdsourcing. ACM Digital Library (pp 321-329), 11 February 2019 - 15 February 2019. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Investigating stability and reliability of crowdsourcing output. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 2276 (pp 83-87), 5 July 2018 - 5 July 2018.
- View this article in WRRO All That Glitters is Gold -- An Attack Scheme on Gold Questions in Crowdsourcing. Proceedings of The 6th AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP 2018). Zurich, Switzerland, 5 July 2018 - 8 July 2018.
- Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Subjectivity, Ambiguity and Disagreement in Crowdsourcing, and Short Paper Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Disentangling the Relation Between Crowdsourcing and Bias Management (SAD 2018 and CrowdBias 2018) co-located the 6th AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP 2018), Zürich, Switzerland, July 5, 2018.. SAD/CrowdBias@HCOMP, Vol. 2276
- Investigating User Perception of Gender Bias in Image Search. The 41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research & Development in Information Retrieval
- Modus Operandi of Crowd Workers: The Invisible Role of Microtask Work Environments. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), Vol. 1(3). New York View this article in WRRO
- Recommending access points to individual mobile users via automatic group learning. IEEE International Conference on Communications View this article in WRRO
- Channel bonding in short-range WLANs. 20th European Wireless Conference, EW 2014 (pp 914-920)
- Self-configuration of scrambling codes for WCDMA small cell networks. 2012 IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications - (PIMRC), 9 September 2012 - 12 September 2012.
- View this article in WRRO Let’s Agree to Disagree: Fixing Agreement Measures for Crowdsourcing. Proceedings of AAAI HCOMP 2017
- Teaching activities
I am TA of the module Big Data Analytics.
I have teaching experience in subject areas such as data science, machine learning and social computing. I have also coordinated industry certification in enterprise software and business analytics applications.
My teaching style include flipped teaching, peer learning and collaboration with industry.
I currently teach on the following modules:
- Big Data Analytics
- Data Mining and Visualisation
- Business Intelligence
- Professional activities
Membership of professional bodies
- Italian Association of Operational Research
- Wireless Networking group in Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, http://wnrg.upf.edu/people
Editorial board membership
- Human Computation Journal
Committee and advisory group membership
- Experts Europol Initiative “Criminal Use of Information Hiding”
Journal and conference reviewing
- 2019 AAAI
- 2018 TKDE
- 2018 HCOMP
- 2018 ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Traffic Measurements for Cybersecurity (WTMC 2018)
- 2017 INRT
- 2017 IEEE Communications Letters
- 2017 SIGIR
- 2017 ICWSM
- 2017 WWW
- 2015 IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
- 2015 Journal of Sensors
- 2015 INFOCOM 2016
- 2015 IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- 2015 IEEE PIMRC
- 2015 International Workshop on Cyber Crime
- 2013 IEEE Transactions on Communications
- 2013 ACM MobiHoc 2013
- 2012 EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking
- "Everyday data - the data annotators" at the University of Bremen, 2019
- “Decentralised Machine Learning for Crowdsourcing” at the University of Queensland, October 2018
- "Human Computation and Crowdsourcing - Questions and Challenges" at Pompeu Fabra University, February 2017
- “Decentralised Algorithms for Wireless Networks”, at University of California, Los Angeles, Nov 2014
- “Fast Decentralised Graph Coloring”, at Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Urbana Illinois, Nov 2014
- “New Trends in Recommender Systems”, EPFL, Lausanne, October 2014
- Programme Coordinator of the H2020 project FashionBrain