Dr Efpraxia D. Zamani
BA (Aristotle), MA (Leicester), MSc (Aegean), PhD (AUEB), PGCert (De Montfort)
Senior Lecturer in Information Systems
+44 114 222 6331
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
My background is multidisciplinary. I hold a Bachelor in Architectural Engineering, an MA in Museum Studies and an MSc in Finance and Management Engineering. I received my doctorate from the Department of Management Science and Technology of the Athens University of Economics and Business (Greece) in 2014. After this, I was a post doctoral researcher at the same university until early 2016, when I joined De Montfort University as a Lecturer of Information Systems. I joined the Information School at the university of Sheffield in late 2018.
- Research interests
My broad research interests relate to the organisational and social aspects of information systems and emerging technologies, such as Artificial Intelligence and the Blockchain. I am particularly interested in the relationship between technology and inequalities.
My research work has been presented in numerous conferences and has been published in journals such as the Information Systems Journal, the Journal of Information Technology, Government Information Quarterly and the International Journal of Electronic Commerce.
I am interested in supervising PhD students with an interest in the use of information systems within personal and work-related contexts, in the social implications of emerging technologies (e.g., ICTs for development purposes and societal inequalities) and/or their impact on work and productivity, as well as more broadly in how users make sense of technology and technology-enabled practices.
- Agricultural Supply Chains and Industry 4.0. Springer International Publishing.
- Agile incident response (AIR) : improving the incident response process in healthcare. International Journal of Information Management, 62. View this article in WRRO
- What do growing early-stage digital start-ups look like? A mixed-methods approach. International Journal of Information Management. View this article in WRRO
- Correction to: Bridging the Digital Divide in Ethnic Minority Older Adults: an Organisational Qualitative Study. Information Systems Frontiers, 1-1.
- Bridging the digital divide in ethnic minority older adults: an organisational qualitative study. Information Systems Frontiers. View this article in WRRO
- Making sense of business analytics in project selection and prioritisation : insights from the start-up trenches. Information Technology and People. View this article in WRRO
- Accommodating practices during episodes of disillusionment with mobile IT. Information Systems Frontiers, 23(2), 453-475. View this article in WRRO
- Shared mental models and perceived proximity : a comparative case study. Information Technology & People. View this article in WRRO
- Generative mechanisms of workarounds, discontinuance and reframing: a study of negative disconfirmation with consumerised IT. Information Systems Journal, 31(3), 384-428. View this article in WRRO
- Appropriating Information Technology Artefacts through Trial and Error: The Case of the Tablet. Information Systems Frontiers, Online first, 0-0. View this article in WRRO
- The future of ICT for health and ageing: Unveiling ethical and social issues through horizon scanning foresight. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 155, ---. View this article in WRRO
- Trust in the sharing economy : the AirBnB case. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 119(9), 1947-1968. View this article in WRRO
- Real-time information security incident management : a case study using the IS-CHEC technique. IEEE Access, 7, 142147-142175. View this article in WRRO
- Assessing Mobile Phone Use by Pregnant Women in Nigeria: A Capability Perspective. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 85(5). View this article in WRRO
- On the Security Risks of the Blockchain. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 60(6), 495-506. View this article in WRRO
- With a little help from the miners: distributed ledger technology and market disintermediation. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 118(3), 637-652.
- Implementing E-government in Lagos State: Understanding the impact of cultural perceptions and working practices. Government Information Quarterly, 34(4), 646-657.
- Understanding Individual User Resistance and Workarounds of Enterprise Social Networks: The Case of Service Ltd. Journal of Information Technology, 31(2), 130-151.
- Investigating Groups at the Verge of Social Exclusion Through the Lens of the Capability Approach. SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Public relations crisis and social media: An investigation into extant and prospective consumers’ perceptions through the lens of attribution theory. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research, 10(2), 33-52.
- Adoption behaviour differences for mobile data services: m-internet vs. m-portals. International Journal of Mobile Communications, 12(3), 207-207.
- Gravitating to "the new shiny thing": Meaning, emotions, and tablets. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, 32(2), 74-80.
- Consumer Responses to SMS Advertising: Antecedents and Consequences. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 18(1), 105-136.
- Enhancing the Tourism Experience through Mobile Augmented Reality: Challenges and Prospects. International Journal of Engineering Business Management, 4, 10-10.
- Affective Temporal Experiences and New Work Modalities: the role of Information and Communication Technologies. Journal of Business Research.
- Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Analytics for Supply Chain Resilience: A Systematic Literature Review. Annals of Operations Research.
- Are We Nearly There Yet? A Desires & Realities Framework for Europe's AI Strategy. Information Systems Frontiers.
- View this article in WRRO Drivers and Challenges of IoT Diffusion in Smart Stores: : A Field Exploration. Technological Forecasting and Social Change.
- View this article in WRRO Using Business Analytics for SME Business Model Transformation Under Pandemic Time Pressure. Information Systems Frontiers.
- The Bitcoin Protocol as a System of Power. Ethics and Information Technology.
- BIM as a Boundary Object in Construction Projects: A Knowledge-as-Practice Perspective, Responsible AI and Analytics for an Ethical and Inclusive Digitized Society (pp. 371-382). Springer International Publishing
- ICT-Based Inter-organisational Knowledge Exchange: A Narrative Literature Review Approach, Responsible AI and Analytics for an Ethical and Inclusive Digitized Society (pp. 411-422). Springer International Publishing
- Embracing uMunthu: How Informal Caregivers in Malawi Use ICTs, Information and Communication Technologies for Development (pp. 93-101). Springer International Publishing
- Social inclusion and ICTs: A literature review through the lens of the capability approach, Social Inclusion and Usability of ICT-Enabled Services (pp. 11-30).
Conference proceedings papers
- Facilitating inclusive spaces for sharing untold stories from diverse perspectives. Information Science Trends 2022: Untold Stories
- View this article in WRRO Factors Affecting the Adoption of M-government services in Saudi Arabia: A Female Citizen Perspective. 2021 UK Academy for Information Systems Conference, 23 March 2021 - 24 March 2021.
- View this article in WRRO Making Sense of Business Analytics: The Case of Two Start-Ups. Workshop on Business Analytics for the Management of Information Systems Development, 28th European Conference on Information Systems 2020 (ECIS 2020) - 2020.
- View this article in WRRO On the Appropriation of Consumerised IT: A Trial and Error Approach. 13th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems
- View this article in WRRO Power and Bitcoins: a Critical Realism Perspective. 13th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems
- View this article in WRRO Mobile Phones for Financial Inclusiveness and Empowerment: A Case Study of Anchor Borrowers Programme. 2019 UK Academy for Information Systems Conference
- Healthcare Information Systems Implementation: Social and Organisational Dimensions. 12th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS 2018). Corfu, Greece
- Diffusion and Adoption of Bitcoins In Light of The Financial Crisis: The case of Greece. 11th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS 2017). Genoa
- Are online social networks, leading to a ‘better world in the Omani public sector? A qualitative study. Information and Communication Technologies for Development (pp 669-680). Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 22 May 2017 - 24 May 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Developing e-Services for Lagos State: Understanding the impact of Cultural Perceptions and Working Practices. 9th Pre-ICIS SIG GlobDev Workshop. Dublin, Ireland
- From Bitcoin to Decentralized Autonomous Corporations - Extending the Application Scope of Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Networks and Blockchains. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, 27 April 2015 - 30 April 2015.
- Investigating the adoption and use of smartphones in the UK: A silver-surfers perspective. ECIS 2014 Proceedings - 22nd European Conference on Information Systems
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP EDUCATION IN THE DIGITAL ERA: A ROADMAP FOR UBIQUITOUS GAME BASED LEARNING IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP EDUCATION AT HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS. ICERI2014: 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF EDUCATION, RESEARCH AND INNOVATION (pp 5945-5952)
- Tactile Experiences: User Interpretations and Meaning with Tablets. 2014 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 6 January 2014 - 9 January 2014.
- A sensemaking approach to tablet users' accommodating practices. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2013): Reshaping Society Through Information Systems Design, Vol. 1 (pp 246-264)
- The Wireless Readiness Innovation Index: Enhancing the Effectiveness of the Public Sector in New Service Introduction. 12th International Conference on Mobile Business, ICMB 2013
- Introduction to the proceedings of IU/IC 2013. WORKSHOP PROCEEDINGS OF THE 9TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INTELLIGENT ENVIRONMENTS, Vol. 17 (pp 699-699)
- From Spectator to User, From Viewer to (Act)or. WORKSHOP PROCEEDINGS OF THE 9TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INTELLIGENT ENVIRONMENTS, Vol. 17 (pp 700-708)
- “DAD BOUGHT ANOTHER TOY”: MEANING MAKING AND EMOTIONS WITH TABLETS. International Conference on Mobile Business, ICMB 2012
- Education and Learning in the Semantic Web. 2011 15th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, 30 September 2011 - 2 October 2011.
- A Mobile Application Supporting Conference Attendees and Organizers. 2011 15th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, 30 September 2011 - 2 October 2011.
- An Innovative Conference Management Mobile Application (CoMMA). 2011 10th International Conference on Mobile Business, 20 June 2011 - 21 June 2011.
- Explaining the Adoption of Mobile Internet Applications. 2010 Ninth International Conference on Mobile Business and 2010 Ninth Global Mobility Roundtable (ICMB-GMR), 13 June 2010 - 15 June 2010.
- The mediating role of Emotional State toward Pervasive IS adoption.. 9th International Conference on Mobile Business (ICMB 2010) (pp 100-106)
- Research group
Current PhD students
- Michael Adetu: "Crowdsourcing in a Globally Dispersed Crowd: A Catalyst for Business Innovation or Participant Deskilling?"
- Norah Alotaibi: The Efficiency and Quality of E-Government Services: An Analytical Study of Smartphone Applications in the Saudi Ministries
- Eko Wahyu Tyas Darmaningrat: Developing Information Security Policy Framework to Support Smart City Implementation in Indonesia
- Jing Wang: Digital Collaboration: The Establishment of Knowledge Management-Based BIM Collaboration Model
- Haoyu Xie: A Research on the Self-Organization of Crowdsourcing Workers
- Yuzhen Zhu: Understanding the Role of Information and Communication Technology in the Shaping of Interorganizational Knowledge Exchange Practice: Proposing an ICT-based Generic Knowledge Management Framework for the European Living Lab Ecosystem
I am a member of the Information Systems Research Group.
- Teaching activities
I am the programme coordinator for the MSc Information Systems and module coordinator for INF6001 Information Systems Project Management.
I am a contributor to INF6002 Information and Knowledge Management and INF6511 Information and Knowledge Management (distance learning).
I received my PGCert in Higher Education from De Montfort University in 2017 and I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- External Examiner:
- Birkbeck College - University of London 2018-2022
- School of Management, Swansea University 2022-2025
- Newcastle University Business School, Newcastle University 2022-2025
- Professional activities
Membership of professional bodies
- Association of Information Systems
- British Academy of Management
- UK Academy of Information Systems Board Member (elected, 2021 – 2024)
Editorial Board Membership
- British Academic of Management – Peer Review College (2022 – 2025)
- Senior Editor at Information Technology & People (ITP)
- Editorial Board Member at Industrial Management and Data Systems (IMDS)
- Editorial Board Member at Journal of Global Information Technology Management (JGITM)
- Editorial Board Member at Journal of Responsible Technology (JRT)
- Editorial Board Member at Futures & Foresight Science (FFS)
- Guest lecture on ‘Project Selection and Control’, for the Systems Development and Project Management, National University of Galway, Ireland (October 21, 2021)
- Guest lecture on ‘System Dynamics’ for the Stochastic Modelling and Simulation module, Management Science and Technology, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece (January 12, 2021)
- Invited seminar as part of the seminar series at The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) on “The appropriation of IT”, London, UK (March 10, 2019)
- “Creative and Cultural Roles of Emerging Technologies” Expert panel – Leicester Business Festival 2017, Leicester, UK (November 3, 2017)
- Invited Talk on ‘Use and User Centricity in Information Systems Research' at the Institute of Information Management, University of St. Gallen, St. Gallen, Switzerland (March 3, 2014)
- Invited lecture on ‘Strategic imperatives for telecom companies’, E-commerce, M-Commerce Module, MBA in Telecoms, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece (February 2, 2015)