Dr Frank Hopfgartner
PhD (Glasgow), PG Cert (Glasgow), FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Data Science
+44 114 222 2658
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
I am Senior Lecturer in Data Science at the Information School of University of Sheffield. My research to date can be placed in the intersection of information systems (e.g., information retrieval and recommender systems), content analysis and data science. I have (co-) authored over 150 publications in above mentioned research fields, including a book on smart information systems, various book chapters and papers in peer-reviewed journals, conferences and workshops. To date, I have successfully acquired over £1 Million in research funding from national and international sources to support my research.
A further theme of my work is to bridge the gap between academia and industry, e.g., by collaborating closely with industry to incorporate real-world challenges in my teaching, or by creating opportunities for academics to benefit from companies’ resources or expertise.
- MSc in Data Science Programme Coordinator
- Head of the Information Retrieval Research Group
- Deputy Director of Research
- Research interests
- Interactive Information Systems such as information retrieval, knowledge sharing, enterprise search, and recommender systems. Experience in user modelling, gamification, personalized search and recommendation, user-centric evaluation, and other challenges that center around satisfying users’ information needs.
- Content Analysis: Automatic information extraction, indexing, semantic analysis of text documents, analysis of low-level multimedia features, and the application of deep learning methods to classify multimedia content. Manual methods include work on engaging the crowd for data and document annotation and categorization.
- Self-tracking & lifelogging and its potentials for personalization. Interested in the analysis, and visualisation of sensor and lifelogging data. Other challenges pertain processing vast amounts of data and identifying user interests, skills etc. and their usage in real world systems like health or recommendation systems.
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics): Preface.
- Understanding Video Retrieval. VDM Verlag.
- Proceedings of the First Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and User Modelling for Smart Cities co-located with 24th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. London, United Kingdom: CEUR-WS.
- Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Data-Driven Gamification Design co-located with 21st International Academic MindTrek Conference (AcademicMindtrek 2017). CEUR-ws.
- Smart Information Systems: Computational Intelligence for Real-Life Applications. Springer Verlag.
- eHealth 360: International Summit on eHealth, Budapest, Hungary, June 14-16, 2016, Revised Selected Papers. Springer Verlag.
- Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval co-located with 39th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2016), Pisa, Italy, July 21, 2016. CEUR-WS.org.
- Proceedings of FuturePD 2016: The future of personal data: Envisioning new personalized services enabled by Quantified Self technologies. CEUR-ws.
- Proceedings of the Workshop on Fictional Game Elements 2016 co-located with The ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY 2016)..
- Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval co-located with the 37th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2015). CEUR-ws.
- Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval, GamifIR@ECIR ’14, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 13, 2014. ACM.
- LinkQS 2014: Linking the Quantified Self Workshop. CEUR-ws.org.
- MultiMedia Modeling - 20th Anniversary International Conference, MMM 2014, Dublin, Ireland, January 6-10, 2014, Proceedings, Part I. Springer.
- MultiMedia Modeling - 20th Anniversary International Conference, MMM 2014, Dublin, Ireland, January 6-10, 2014, Proceedings, Part II. Springer.
- Proceedings of the Workshop "Beyond single-shot text queries: bridging the gap(s) between research communities" co-located with iConference 2014, Berlin, Germany, March 4, 2014. CEUR-WS.org.
- Proceedings of the 2013 International News Recommender Systems Workshop and Challenge on - NRS '13. ACM Press.
- Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Lifelong User Modelling, Rome, Italy. CEUR-Ws.org.
- NRS ’13: Proceedings of the 2013 International News Recommender Systems Workshop and Challenge. ACM.
- Proceedings of the International Workshop on Benchmarking Adaptive Retrieval and Recommender Systems, Dublin, Ireland..
- Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Adaptive Information Retrieval..
- Abstract Booklet of the Second Summer School on Multimedia Semantics (SSMS’07)..
- Leveraging digital forensics and data exploration to understand the creative work of a filmmaker: A case study of Stephen Dwoskin's digital archive. Information Processing & Management, 57(6). View this article in WRRO
- Special issue on knowledge discovery and user modeling for smart cities. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. View this article in WRRO
- Guest editorial. Online Information Review, 44(2), 477-481.
- Preface to the special issue on harnessing personal tracking data for personalization and sense-making. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 30(3), 323-329. View this article in WRRO
- Strengthening gamification studies: Current trends and future opportunities of gamification research. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation-as-a-service for the computational sciences: Overview and outlook. ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality, 10(4). View this article in WRRO
- A comprehensive study on mid-level representation and ensemble learning for emotional analysis of video material. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 76(9), 11809-11837. View this article in WRRO
- Breaking down violence detection: Combining divide-et-impera and coarse-to-fine strategies. Neurocomputing, 208, 225-237. View this article in WRRO
- An experimental evaluation of ontology-based user profiles. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 73(2), 1029-1051. View this article in WRRO
- The Video Browser Showdown: a live evaluation of interactive video search tools. International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval, 3(2), 113-127. View this article in WRRO
- CMAS: fully integrated portable centrifugal microfluidic analysis system for on-site colorimetric analysis. RSC Advances, 3(36), 15928-15928. View this article in WRRO
- Effects of Usage-Based Feedback on Video Retrieval. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 29(2), 1-32. View this article in WRRO
- Semantic user profiling techniques for personalised multimedia recommendation. Multimedia Systems, 16(4-5), 255-274. View this article in WRRO
- Video browsing interfaces and applications: a review. SPIE Reviews, 1, 018004-1-018004-35-018004-1-018004-35.
- Simulated evaluation of faceted browsing based on feature selection. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 47(3), 631-662.
- Exploiting Log Files in Video Retrieval.. Bull. IEEE Tech. Comm. Digit. Libr., 5.
- Studying interaction methodologies in video retrieval. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 1(2), 1604-1608.
- Community based feedback techniques to improve video search. Signal, Image and Video Processing, 2(4), 289-306.
- Experiments in Lifelog Organisation and Retrieval at NTCIR In Kando N, Oard D & Sakai T (Ed.), Evaluating Information Retrieval and Access Tasks: NTCIR's Legacy of Research Impact (pp. 187-203). Springer Verlag View this article in WRRO
- Continuous Evaluation of Large-Scale Information Access Systems: A Case for Living Labs In Ferro N & Peters C (Ed.), Information Retrieval Evaluation in a Changing World – Lessons Learned from 20 Years of CLEF (pp. 511-543). Springer Verlag View this article in WRRO
- To Log or Not to Log? SWOT Analysis of Self-Tracking, Lifelogging (pp. 305-325). Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden
- Gamification of Workplace Activities, Smart Information Systems (pp. 239-268). Springer International Publishing
- Detecting Violent Content in Hollywood Movies and User-Generated Videos, Smart Information Systems (pp. 291-314). Springer International Publishing
- Health assistance for immigrants In Hopfgartner F (Ed.), Smart Information Systems: Computational Intelligence for Real-Life Applications (pp. 75-97). Springer Verlag
- Multimedia Retrieval and Adaptive Systems In Zander J & Mosterman PJ (Ed.), Computation for Humanities - Information Technology to Advance Society (pp. 205-234). CRC Press
- User Interaction Templates for the Design of Lifelogging Systems, Human–Computer Interaction Series (pp. 187-204). Springer London
- A Survey of Advanced Content Management Tools for TV Postproduction In Kompatsiaris Y, Merialdo B & Lian S (Ed.), TV Content Analysis: Techniques and Applications (pp. 529-565). CRC Press
- Capturing long-term user interests in online television news programs, TV Content Analysis: Techniques and Applications (pp. 309-330).
- Information Organisation Issues in Multimedia Retrieval using Low-Level Features In Troncy R, Huet B & Schenk S (Ed.), Multimedia Semantics: Metadata, Analysis and Interaction (pp. 241-260). Wiley
- Toward an Adaptive Video Retrieval System, Advances in Semantic Media Adaptation and Personalization, Volume 2 (pp. 113-135). Auerbach Publications
Conference proceedings papers
- A Comparative Study of Using Pre-trained Language Models for Toxic Comment Classification. WWW ’21 Companion, 16 April 2021.
- A gold standard dataset for large knowledge graphs matching. Ontology Matching 2020 : Proceedings of the 15th International Workshop on Ontology Matching co-located with the 19th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2020), Vol. 2788 (pp 24-35). Virtual conference, 2 November 2020 - 2 November 2020.
- Using a 360° camera as a mobile data collection method towards understanding information types and use in running. Proceedings of the Association for Information Science and Technology, Vol. 57(1)
- Integrating fate/critical data studies into data science curricula: Where are we going and how do we get there?. FAT* 2020 - Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (pp 425-435) View this article in WRRO
- Saudi international students’ perceptions of their transition to the UK and the impact of social media. Sustainable Digital Communities (pp 198-208). Boras, Sweden, 23 March 2020 - 26 March 2020. View this article in WRRO
- Rethinking the test collection methodology for personal self-tracking data. Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Multimedia Modeling 2020 (pp 463-474). Daejeon, South Korea, 5 January 2020 - 8 January 2020. View this article in WRRO
- Advances in lifelog data organisation and retrieval at the NTCIR-14 Lifelog-3 task. NII Testbeds and Community for Information Access Research - NTCIR 2019. Tokyo, Japan, 10 June 2019 - 13 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of transaction logs from National Museums Liverpool. TPDL 2019 Proceedings : Digital Libraries for Open Knowledge (pp 84-98). Oslo, Norway, 9 September 2019 - 12 September 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Detecting Toxic Content Online and the Effect of Training Data on Classification Performance View this article in WRRO
- Investigating the role of social media during the transition of international students to the UK. iConference 2019 Proceedings View this article in WRRO
- A Test Collection for Interactive Lifelog Retrieval. MultiMedia Modeling, Vol. 11295 (pp 312-324), 8 January 2019 - 11 January 2019. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Digital Preservation and Curation of Self-Tracking Data: A Position Paper. Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and User Modelling for Smart Cities (KDD-UMCit 2018), Vol. 2227 (pp 1-5). London, United Kingdom, 20 August 2018 - 20 August 2018.
- Smart Crib Control System Based on Sentiment Analysis. 2018 IEEE 16th Intl Conf on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing, 16th Intl Conf on Pervasive Intelligence and Computing, 4th Intl Conf on Big Data Intelligence and Computing and Cyber Science and Technology Congress(DASC/PiCom/DataCom/CyberSciTech), 12 August 2018 - 15 August 2018. View this article in WRRO
- UMAP 2018 HUM (Holistic User Modeling) Workshop Chairs' Preface &Organization. Adjunct Publication of the 26th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization View this article in WRRO
- Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and User Modelling for Smart Cities co-located with 24th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, UMCit@KDD 2018, London, United Kingdom, August 20, 2018.. UMCit@KDD, Vol. 2227
- Second Interaction and Engagement on Information Research and Learning with Lifelogging Devices. iConference 2017 Proceedings, 22 March 2017 - 25 March 2017. View this article in WRRO
- CLEF 2017 NewsREEL Overview: A Stream-Based Recommender Task for Evaluation and Education. Experimental IR Meets Multilinguality, Multimodality, and Interaction (pp 239-254), 11 September 2017 - 14 September 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Interactive Search in Video & Lifelogging Repositories. Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval (pp 421-423), 7 March 2017 - 11 March 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Data-driven gamification design. Proceedings of the 21st International Academic Mindtrek Conference on - AcademicMindtrek '17, 20 September 2017 - 21 September 2017.
- UMAP 2017 THUM Workshop Chairs' Welcome & Organization. Adjunct Publication of the 25th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization
- New frontiers of quantified self 3. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers
- A Stream-based Resource for Multi-Dimensional Evaluation of Recommender Algorithms. Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval
- Countering Contextual Bias in TV Watching Behavior. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video - TVX '17, 14 June 2017 - 16 June 2017.
- Fictional Game Elements. Proceedings of the 2016 Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play Companion Extended Abstracts - CHI PLAY Companion '16, 16 October 2016 - 19 October 2016.
- Session details: (Quantified self) new frontiers of quantified self 2: going beyond numbers. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing: Adjunct
- New frontiers of quantified self 2. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing: Adjunct
- Overview of NewsREEL’16: Multi-dimensional evaluation of real-time stream-recommendation algorithms. Experimental IR Meets Multilinguality, Multimodality, and Interaction, Vol. 9822 (pp 311-331). Évora, Portugal, 5 September 2016 - 8 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Third International Workshop onGamificationfor Information Retrieval (GamifIR'16). Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval - SIGIR '16, 17 July 2016 - 21 July 2016.
- NTCIR Lifelog. Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval - SIGIR '16, 17 July 2016 - 21 July 2016.
- Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Recent Trends in News Information Retrieval co-located with 38th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2016), Padua, Italy, March 20, 2016, Vol. 1568
- Interaction and Engagement for Information Research and Learning with Lifelogging Devices. iConference’16: Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the iSchools organization, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Information Retrieval and Learning with Lifelogging Devices: A session for interaction and engagement at iConference 2016, Philadelphia, USA
- The Potentials of Recommender Systems Challenges for Student Learning. Challenges in Machine Learning: Gaming and Education, NIPS 2016 Workshop, Barcelona, Spain
- Algorithms Aside. Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems
- First international workshop on recent trends in news information retrieval (NewsIR’16). Advances in Information Retrieval - 38th European Conference on IR Research, ECIR 2016, Padua, Italy, March 20-23, 2016. Proceedings (pp 878-882). Padua, Italy, 20 March 2016 - 23 March 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Increasing engagement with the library via gamification. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1642 (pp 2-6)
- Idomaar: A framework for multi-dimensional benchmarking of recommender algorithms. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1688
- Interactive Video Search. Proceedings of the 23rd ACM international conference on Multimedia - MM '15, 26 October 2015 - 30 October 2015.
- Real-time recommendation of streamed data. RecSys 2015 - Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (pp 361-362)
- New frontiers of quantified self. Proceedings of the 2015 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2015 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers - UbiComp '15, 7 September 2015 - 11 September 2015.
- Lifelong Digital Libraries. Proceedings of the 15th ACM/IEEE-CE on Joint Conference on Digital Libraries - JCDL '15, 21 June 2015 - 25 June 2015.
- Context-Aware LDA: Balancing Relevance and Diversity in TV Content Recommenders. RecSysTV’14: Proceeings of the Second Workshop on Recommendation Systems for Television and Online Video, Vienna, Austria
- Keynote: Capturing User Interests for Content-based Recommendations. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on New Trends on Content-Based Recommender Systems co-located with 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys 2015), Vienna, Austria, September 16-20, 2015. (pp 1-1)
- Second International Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval (GamifIR’15) (pp 838-840)
- Join the Living Lab: Evaluating News Recommendations in Real-Time (pp 826-829)
- Fusion of learned multi-modal representations and dense trajectories for emotional analysis in videos. 2015 13th International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing (CBMI), 10 June 2015 - 12 June 2015.
- Stream-Based Recommendations: Online and Offline Evaluation as a Service (pp 497-517)
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics): Preface. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 8325 LNCS(PART 1)
- Understanding Affective Content of Music Videos through Learned Representations (pp 303-314)
- Audio-Visual Classification Video Browser (pp 398-401)
- Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval - GamifIR '14. the First International Workshop, 13 April 2014 - 13 April 2014.
- Beyond Single-Shot Text Queries: Bridging the Gap(s) Between Research Communities. iConference’14: Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the iSchools organization, Berlin, Germany (pp 1173-1174)
- A Visualization Tool for Violent Scenes Detection. Proceedings of International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval - ICMR '14, 1 April 2014 - 4 April 2014.
- DAIKnow: A Gamified Enterprise Bookmarking System (pp 759-762)
- Information reconstruction. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval - GamifIR '14, 13 April 2014 - 13 April 2014.
- Benchmarking News Recommendations in a Living Lab (pp 250-267)
- Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval (GamifIR’14) (pp 806-809)
- When to recommend what? A study on the role of contextual factors in IP-based TV services. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1131 (pp 12-18)
- Shedding light on a living lab. Proceedings of the 5th Information Interaction in Context Symposium on - IIiX '14, 26 August 2014 - 30 August 2014.
- Users' reading habits in online news portals. Proceedings of the 5th Information Interaction in Context Symposium on - IIiX '14, 26 August 2014 - 30 August 2014.
- Distributed enterprise search using software agents. 13th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS 2014, Vol. 2 (pp 1623-1624)
- Beyond single-shot text queries: Bridging the Gap(s) between research communities (MindTheGap'14). CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1131 (pp 1-2)
- User-item reciprocity in recommender systems: Incentivizing the crowd. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1181 (pp 23-26)
- Providing Multilingual Access to Health-Related Content. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 205 (pp 393-397)
- The plista dataset. Proceedings of the 2013 International News Recommender Systems Workshop and Challenge on - NRS '13, 13 October 2013 - 13 October 2013.
- Workshop and challenge on news recommender systems. Proceedings of the 7th ACM conference on Recommender systems - RecSys '13, 12 October 2013 - 16 October 2013.
- Violence detection in hollywood movies by the fusion of visual and mid-level audio cues. Proceedings of the 21st ACM international conference on Multimedia - MM '13, 21 October 2013 - 25 October 2013.
- Workshop on benchmarking adaptive retrieval and recommender systems. Proceedings of the 36th international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval - SIGIR '13, 28 July 2013 - 1 August 2013.
- Activating the Crowd: Exploiting User-Item Reciprocity for Recommendation. CrowdRec’13: Oroceedings of the International Workshop on Crowdsourcing and Human Computation for Recommender Systems, Hong Kong, China
- DCU at MMM 2013 Video Browser Showdown (pp 541-543)
- Evaluating Novice and Expert Users on Handheld Video Retrieval Systems (pp 69-78)
- Quality Assessment of User-Generated Video Using Camera Motion (pp 479-489)
- Helping the Helpers: How Video Retrieval Can Assist Special Interest Groups (pp 493-495)
- Perceived and Actual Role of Gamification Principles. 2013 IEEE/ACM 6th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, 9 December 2013 - 12 December 2013.
- 2nd Workshop on Lifelong User Modelling. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 997
- Detecting violent content in Hollywood movies by mid-level audio representations. 2013 11th International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing (CBMI), 17 June 2013 - 19 June 2013.
- An Intelligent Health Assistant for Migrants. Proceedings of the ICTs for improving Patients Rehabilitation Research Techniques, 5 May 2013 - 5 May 2013.
- Detecting complex events in user-generated video using concept classifiers. 2012 10th International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing (CBMI), 27 June 2012 - 29 June 2012.
- Detecting Complex Events in User-Generated Video Using Concept Classifiers. CBMI’12: Proceedings of the 10th Workshop on Content-based Multimedia Indexing (pp 1-6)
- Supporting browsing of user generated video on a tablet. Proceedings of the 2nd ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval - ICMR '12, 5 June 2012 - 8 June 2012.
- Clipboard: A Visual Search and Browsing Engine for Tablet and PC (pp 646-648)
- Interactive news video recommendation: An example system. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 747
- RECVid 2011 Experiments at Dublin City University.. TRECVID
- Adaptive Interactive News Video Recommendation: An Example System. SEMAIS’11 - Second International Workshop on Semantic Models for Adaptive Interactive Systems, Palo Alto, CA, USA (pp 21-25)
- Development of a test collection for studying long-term user modelling. LWA 2011 - Technical Report of the Symposium "Lernen, Wissen, Adaptivitat - Learning, Knowledge, and Adaptivity 2011" of the GI Special Interest Groups KDML, IR and WM (pp 221-227)
- News Video Story Segmentation based on Semantic Coherence and Content Similarity. MMM’10 - 16th International Conference on Multimedia Modeling, Chongqing, China (pp 347-357)
- TV News Story Segmentation Based on Semantic Coherence and Content Similarity (pp 347-357)
- Semantic User Modelling for Personal News Video Retrieval (pp 336-346)
- Supporting aspect-based video browsing. Proceeding of the ACM International Conference on Image and Video Retrieval - CIVR '09, 8 July 2009 - 10 July 2009.
- An Architecture for Life-long User Modelling. LLUM’09 - Lifelong User Modelling Workshop, Trento, Italy (pp 9-16)
- Supporting Aspect-Based Video Browsing – Analysis of a User Study. CIVR’09 - ACM International Conference on Image and Video Retrieval, Santorini, Greece (pp 74-81)
- Comparison of balancing techniques for multimedia IR over imbalanced datasets. 2009 24th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences, 14 September 2009 - 16 September 2009.
- User centred evaluation of a recommendation based image browsing system. Proceedings of the 4th Indian International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IICAI 2009 (pp 558-573)
- Split and Merge Based Story Segmentation in News Videos (pp 766-770)
- On User Modelling for Personalised News Video Recommendation (pp 403-408)
- Aspect-based video browsing — A user study. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, 28 June 2009 - 3 July 2009.
- Facet-Based Browsing in Video Retrieval: A Simulation-Based Evaluation (pp 472-483)
- Diversity, Assortment, Dissimilarity, Variety: A Study of Diversity Measures Using Low Level Features for Video Retrieval (pp 126-137)
- Capturing multiple interests in news video retrieval by incorporating the ostensive model. PersDB 2008 - 2nd International Workshop on Personalized Access, Profile Management, and Context Awareness: Databases, Electronic Proceedings - In Conjunction with the 34th VLDB 2008 Conference (pp 51-58)
- Automatically Creating and Comparing Features and Contexts. AIR’08 - Second International Workshop on Adaptive Information Retrieval, London, United Kingdom (pp 27-31)
- An Adaptive News Video Retrieval Framework. SAMT’08 - Third International Conference on Semantic and Digital Media Technologies, Koblenz, Germany
- Implicit Search Trails for Video Recommendation. SAMT’08 - Third International Conference on Semantic and Digital Media Technologies, Koblenz, Germany
- View this article in WRRO Collaborative Search Trails for Video Search. JCDL’08 - Proceedings of the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries - First International Workshop on Collaborative Search, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Capturing Multiple Interests in News Video Retrieval by Incorporating the Ostensive Model. PersDB’08 - Second International Workshop on Personalized Access, Profile Management, and Context Awareness in Databases, Auckland, New Zealand (pp 48-55)
- Search trails using user feedback to improve video search. Proceeding of the 16th ACM international conference on Multimedia - MM '08, 26 October 2008 - 31 October 2008.
- A cluster-based simulation of facet-based search. Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries - JCDL '08, 16 June 2008 - 20 June 2008.
- Exploiting log files in video retrieval. Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries - JCDL '08, 16 June 2008 - 20 June 2008.
- Second International Workshop on Semantic Media Adaptation and Personalization - Copyright. Second International Workshop on Semantic Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP 2007), 17 December 2007 - 18 December 2007.
- Evaluating the implicit feedback models for adaptive video retrieval. Proceedings of the international workshop on Workshop on multimedia information retrieval - MIR '07, 28 September 2007 - 29 September 2007.
- A news video retrieval framework for the study of implicit relevance feedback. SMAP07 - Second International Workshop on Semantic Media Adaptation and Personalization (pp 233-236)
- Simulated Testing of an Adaptive Multimedia Information Retrieval System. 2007 International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing, 25 June 2007 - 27 June 2007.
- Adaptive Video Retrieval. AIR’06 - Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Adaptive Information Retrieval (pp 28-29)
- Use of Implicit Graph for Recommending Relevant Videos: A Simulated Evaluation (pp 199-210)
- View this article in WRRO An Investigation of the Physical and Digital Transitions of Saudi Students Coming to the UK. Proc. of Workshop on Life Transitions and Social Technologies: Research and Design for Times of Life Change, co-located with CSCW'19
- Overview of NTCIR-15 MART. Proceedings of the 15th NTCIR Conference on Evaluation of Information Access Technologies
- Enabling Research and Innovation Beyond Continental Borders: A Case for Satellite Events in Evaluation Campaigns
- GamifIR 2016
- Report on the 1st International Workshop on Recent Trends in News Information Retrieval (NewsIR16)
- Benchmarking News Recommendations
- Report on the Evaluation-as-a-Service (EaaS) Expert Workshop
- ECIR 2015 Workshop on Gamification for Information Retrieval (GamifIR'15)
- Report on the SIGIR 2013 workshop on benchmarking adaptive retrieval and recommender systems
- Personalised video retrieval
- Personalised video retrieval
- AIR 2008: Second International Workshop on Adaptive Information Retrieval
- View this article in WRRO Overview of the NTCIR-14 Lifelog-3 Task. Online Proceedings of the Fourteenth NTCIR conference (NTCIR-14).
- UMAP 2019 Workshop on Explainable and Holistic User Modeling (ExHUM) Chairs' Welcome & Organization. Adjunct Publication of the 27th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization - UMAP'19 Adjunct. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO NewsREEL multimedia at MediaEval 2018: News recommendation with image and text content. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 2283.
- Overview of NTCIR-13 Lifelog-2 Task. Proceedings of the 13th NTCIR Conference on Evaluation of Information Access Technologies, Tokyo, Japan.
- CLEF 2017 NewsREEL overview: Offline and online evaluation of stream-based news recommender systems. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 1866.
- Overview of NTCIR-12 Lifelog Task. Proceedings of the 12th NTCIR Conference on Evaluation of Information Access Technologies, National Center of Sciences, Tokyo, Japan, June 7-10, 2016.
- CLEF NewsREEL 2016: Comparingmulti-dimensional offline and online evaluation of news recommender systems. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 1609, 593-605.
- Overview of CLEF NewsREEL 2015: News recommendation evaluation lab. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 1391.
- Overview of CLEF NEWSREEL 2014: News recommendation evaluation labs. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 1180, 790-801.
- TRECVID 2011 experiments at Dublin city university. 2011 TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation Notebook Papers.
- TRECVid 2011 Experiments at Dublin City University. TRECVID 2011 - Text REtrieval Conference TRECVid Workshop.
- K-Space at TRECVid 2008. 2008 TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation Notebook Papers.
- Glasgow university at TRECVID 2006. 2006 TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation Notebook Papers.
- Research group
Head of the Information Retrieval Research Group
Current PhD students
- Ahmed Alnuhayt: The Role of Computational Intelligence and Aggregation Systems in Decision Making
- Anas Alsuhaibani: Investigating the Role of Social Media in Supporting International Students Transition to Study in the UK
- Marc Bonne: Educational games and their impact on mathematics anxiety in University students
- Chen Cao: The use of gamification technologies for online education
- Cui Cui: Towards a framework for constructing an open digital library of web archives - Creating a small scale, topic-based digital library of web archives of Chinese studies
- Omaima Fallatah: Mapping and aligning large Knowledge Bases
- Paula Goodale: Constructing Personal Narratives Through Exploration of Cultural Spaces Online
- Lee Pretlove: The quantified runner: the long-term value and preservation of parkrunners' self-tracking fitness data from the perspectives of the parkrunner, self-tracking device manufacturers and archival institutions
- David Walsh: Supporting information access in digital cultural heritage
- Zhixue Zhao: Learning from unbalanced data and limited data for automated hate speech detection
Current Postdoctoral researchers
- Dr Monica Paramita
- Dr Maninder Pal
- Teaching interests
Experience: I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and have completed a teaching certificate at University of Glasgow. I have taught students of STEM and HASS programs in China, Germany, and the UK, and have provided tutorials on current research challenges, e.g., funded by ACM and IEEE, and the ESRC Scottish Graduate School of Social Science. I have given guest lectures at universities in China, Germany, Cyprus, and Israel and was involved in the organisation of summer and winter schools funded by the European Commission.
Topics: I am the coordinator of the MSc Data Science programme and teach the core module Introduction to Data Science (INF6027). Furthermore, I teach the Big Data Analytics (INF6032) and Information Retrieval (INF6060) modules.
Philosophy: I am committed to enable students to gain advanced skillsets in research & development that are in high demand. For example, I have initiated a collaboration with industry that allows students to evaluate recommendation algorithms in a real-world setting, and frequently host industry partners for the delivery of guest lectures.
- Professional activities
Membership of professional bodies
- BCS IRSG
- Fellow of the HEA
Editorial board membership
- Information Processing & Management Journal (Editorial board member since 2016)
- International Journal of Online Information Review (Guest Editor of Special Issue)
- Personal and Ubiquitous Computing Journal (Guest Editor of Special Issue)
- User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal - UMUAI (Guest Editor of Special Issue)
- International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (Guest Editor of Special Issue)
Committee and advisory group membership
- Steering committee member of the ACM SIGIR International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval (ICTIR, 2019-2022)
- German-Chinese Association for Artificial Intelligence (Management Board, since 2019)
- Steering committee member of the European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR, since 2017)
- Information Retrieval Special Interest Group of The Chartered Institute for IT (BCS IRSG, Steering committee member since 2017)
- CLEF 2015 and 2016 Living Labs for Information Retrieval evaluation campaign (Steering committee member)
- FP7 CrowdRec project (Advisory board, 2015, 2016)
Journal and conference reviewing
Member of the technical programme committees of all major conferences in the fields of information access (e.g., SIGIR, WWW, CIKM, ECIR, RecSys, IUI, CLEF, TPDL, ESWC) and multimedia (e.g., ACM MM, ICME, ICMR, MMM, MMSys).
- International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications
- International Journal of Human-Computer Studies
- User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (UMUAI)
- ACM Transactions on Information Systems
- ACM Multimedia Systems Journal
- ACM Computing Surveys
- ACM Transactions on the Web
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications
- Online Information Review
- Information Processing & Management
- Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology
- CSI Transactions on ICT
- EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing
- Social Network Analysis and Mining Journal
- International Journal on Multimedia Information Retrieval
- Behaviour & Information Technology Journal
- Journal of Web Semantics
- Analyst, Royal Society of Chemistry
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
- The Computer Journal, Oxford Journals
- Sensors, MDPI
- Public talks at German-Chinese Association of Artificial Intelligence (2019), Cyprus Centre for Algorithmic Transparency (2019), British Museum (2018), National Archives of The Netherlands (2017), Quantified Self Conference (2017), IR Festival Glasgow (2017), German Academic Exchange Service (2015), Film studios Babelsberg (2014).
- Keynotes at conferences and workshops: MoST-Rec@CIKM'19 in Beijing, INRA@CIKM'18 in Torino, FIRE'16 in Kolkata, CBRecSys@RecSys'15 in Vienna, Living Labs for IR Challenge Workshop 2014 in Amsterdam, MediaEval'13 in Barcelona
- 30+ invited seminar talks at research institutes/universities, e.g., at Nankai University, Chinese Academy of Sciences, University of Glasgow, University of Amsterdam, Humboldt Universität, TU Vienna. Panelist at Screen Studies 2019 conference (Glasgow), NTCIR-14 conference (Tokyo), Digital Festival 2016 (Brussels), eHealth360 Summit 2016 (Budapest)
- External examiner of the MSc Data Analytics programme of Aston University (2019-2023), MSc Data Science and MSc Data Science (with placement) programmes of University of Surrey (2020-2024), and MA Digital Media and Information Studies programme of University of Glasgow (2020-2024)
- Co-ordinator of evaluation campaigns to promote reproducible research, namely NTCIR MART (2020), NTCIR Lifelog (2015-22), MediaEval NewsREEL Multimedia (2018), and CLEF NewsREEL (2014-2017)
- Conference organisation: ACM ICMR'20 (Brave New Ideas Chair), ACM SIGIR CHIIR'19 (Demos and Resources Chair), iConference’18 (Poster Chair), MMM’17 (Demo Chair), HealthWear’16 (General Chair), MMM’14 (Special Session Chair), ICMR’14 (Proceedings Chair), MMM’12 (Demo Chair)
- Co-organiser of 30+ workshops and tutorials at major conferences, e.g., on gamification (ACM SIGIR, ECIR, ACM CHI PLAY), quantified self (ACM UbiComp, ACM UMAP, ACM Hypertext, IEEE BIBM), lifelogging (ACM CHIIR, ACM Multimedia, IEEE ICME), news recommendation and retrieval (ACM RecSys, ECIR), real-time data processing and living lab evaluation (ACM RecSys, ECIR, IEEE ICME), and personalization and user modelling (ACM SIGIR, IIiX, UMAP).
- Expert reviewer for various research funding bodies including COST Action, EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council), DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada), FWF (Austrian Science Fund), (NRC) Norwegian Research Council.
- Examiner of PhD dissertations, e.g., submitted to UCL, TU Berlin, University of Glasgow, Queen’s University, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne.
- Fellow of the Zukunftsbrücke programme of Mercator Stiftung, BMW Foundation and The All-China Youth Federation (since 2017).
- Alumni of the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst.