Dr Ziqi Zhang
Lecturer in Social Media
+44 114 222 2657
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
After obtaining my MSc from the University of Birmingham, I have been working as a researcher in the areas of text mining and Semantic Web in the Department of Computer Science, the University of Sheffield. My earlier research looked at text mining and Semantic Web technologies within domain-specific context, such as archaeology, aerospace engineering, automobile and consumer electronics.
Since 2012 I have been focusing on text mining on the Web, particularly methods for automatically creating and linking structured knowledge bases, and information extraction from the social media resources. During my post as researcher, I also obtained my PhD degree as a part-time staff candidate. Between late 2016 and 2017, I worked as a lecturer in Computer Science at the Computing and Technology Department, Nottingham Trent University.
I joined the Information School as a lecturer in January, 2018.
- Research interests
My research addresses methods that enable machines to extract human knowledge from text, to represent such knowledge in a structured representation that is understandable and usable by machines. This ultimately enhances our capability of processing and sense-making of very large scale data, improving decision making. Specifically, this includes but is not limited to:
- Information Extraction: how to automatically turn unstructured, natural language text into structured representation that could support machine understandability and reasoning. This could include the extraction of terms, concepts, named entities, and relations between them from texts.
- Disambiguation: how to teach machines to automatically infer the meaning of a word or phrase within certain context.
- Lexical semantics: how to represent the ‘meaning’ of a word, name, phrase, or sentence; how to measure the relatedness and similarity of these meanings (semantic relatedness and similarity).
- Knowledge base construction: the use of all the above technology in the automatic creation of structured ‘databases’ that support machine understandability and reasoning; and methods of mapping such knowledge bases (ontology alignment, ontology mapping). An example of a knowledge base is the Google Knowledge Graph, or DBpedia.
- Semantic Web and Linked Data: the use of all the above technology to enable the vision of tomorrow’s Web where machine understandable data are put on the Web, shared and reused across application, enterprise, and community boundaries.
- “Less is more”. Online Information Review, 44(1), 213-237.
- Smart information retrieval: Domain knowledge centric optimization approach. IEEE Access, 7, 4167-4183. View this article in WRRO
- A comparison of information sharing behaviours across 379 health conditions on Twitter. International Journal of Public Health, 1-10. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Hate Speech Detection: A Solved Problem? The Challenging Case of Long Tail on Twitter. Semantic Web: interoperability, usability, applicability.
- SemRe-Rank: Improving Automatic Term Extraction by Incorporating Semantic Relatedness with Personalised PageRank. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 12(5). View this article in WRRO
- Effective and efficient Semantic Table Interpretation using TableMiner+. Semantic Web, 8(6), 921-957. View this article in WRRO
- An unsupervised data-driven method to discover equivalent relations in large Linked Datasets. Semantic Web, 8(2), 197-223. View this article in WRRO
- Early Steps Towards Web Scale Information Extraction with LODIE. AI Magazine, 36(1), 55-64. View this article in WRRO
- "Linked data as background knowledge for information extraction on the web" by Ziqi Zhang, Anna Lisa Gentile and Isabelle Augenstein with Martin Vesely as coordinator. ACM SIGWEB Newsletter(Summer), 1-9.
- Recent advances in methods of lexical semantic relatedness - a survey. Natural Language Engineering, FirstView, 1-69.
- Cultural knowledge for Named Entity Disambiguation: a graph-based Semantic Relatedness approach. Serdica Journal of Computing, 4, 217-242.
- The Archaeotools project: faceted classification and natural language processing in an archaeological context.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 367(1897), 2507-2519.
- Product Classification Using Microdata Annotations, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (pp. 716-732). Springer International Publishing
- Towards Efficient and Effective Semantic Table Interpretation, The Semantic Web – ISWC 2014 (pp. 487-502). Springer International Publishing
- Combining Diverse Knowledge Based Features for Semantic Relatedness Measures In Brena RF & Guzman-Arenas A (Ed.), Quantitative Semantics and Soft Computing Methods for the Web (pp. 96-117). IGI Global
- Named Entity Recognition for Ontology Population using Background Knowledge from Wikipedia IGI Global
Conference proceedings papers
- Adapted TextRank for Term Extraction: A generic method of improving automatic term extraction algorithms. Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 137 (pp 102-108), 10 September 2018 - 13 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Hate speech detection on Twitter : feature engineering v.s. feature selection. The Semantic Web: ESWC 2018 Satellite Events (pp 46-49). Crete, Greece, 3 June 2018 - 7 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Detecting Hate Speech on Twitter Using a Convolution-GRU Based Deep Neural Network. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 10843 (pp 745-760), 3 June 2018 - 7 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Entity deduplication on ScholarlyData. The Semantic Web, Vol. Part 1 (pp 85-100), 28 May 2017 - 1 June 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Visualizing semantic table annotations with TableMiner. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1690
- A tool for creating and visualizing semantic annotations on relational tables. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1699 (pp 2-10)
- View this article in WRRO JATE 2.0: Java Automatic Term Extraction with Apache Solr. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2016 (pp 2262-2269)
- Self Training Wrapper Induction with Linked Data. TSD2014. B'rno, 8 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- The Semantic Web – ISWC 2014
- Disambiguating Web tables using partial data. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1272 (pp 213-216)
- Learning with Partial Data for Semantic Table Interpretation (pp 607-618)
- Topic-oriented Words as Features for Named Entity Recognition. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (CICLING)
- Statistical knowledge patterns for characterising linked data. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1188
- LD4IE - Linked data for information extraction. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1057
- Mapping keywords to Linked Data resources for automatic query expansion. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 992 (pp 9-20)
- Using BabelNet in bridging the gap between natural language queries and linked data concepts. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1064
- Mapping Keywords to Linked Data Resources for Automatic Query Expansion (pp 101-112)
- Web scale information extraction with LODIE. AAAI Fall Symposium - Technical Report, Vol. FS-13-04 (pp 24-27)
- Unsupervised Wrapper Induction using Linked Data. K-cap 2013, 23 June 2013 - 26 June 2013.
- LODIE - Linked Open Data for Web-scale Information Extraction. Semantic Web and Information Extraction workshop in EKAW2012
- View this article in WRRO Automatically Extracting Procedural Knowledge from Instructional Texts using Natural Language Processing. International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2012). Istanbul
- LODIE: Linked Open Data for Web-scale Information Extraction. Proceedings of the Workshop on Semantic Web and Information Extraction (SWAIE 2012). Galway, 8 October 2012 - 12 October 2012.
- An Integrated Environment for Semantic Knowledge Work. Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. Demo track at the 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
- Harnessing different knowledge sources to measure semantic relatedness under a uniform model. Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing
- An integrated environment for semantic knowledge work. Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management - CIKM '11, 24 October 2011 - 28 October 2011. View this article in WRRO
- Harnessing different knowledge sources to measure semantic relatedness under a uniform model. EMNLP '11 Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (pp 991-1002). Stroudsburg, 27 July 2011 - 29 July 2011.
- Ontology augmentation: Combining semantic web and text resources. KCAP 2011 - Proceedings of the 2011 Knowledge Capture Conference (pp 9-16)
- A Methodology towards Effective and Efficient Manual Document Annotation: Addressing Annotator Discrepancy and Annotation Quality.. EKAW, Vol. 6317 (pp 301-315)
- A comprehensive solution to procedural knowledge acquisition using information extraction. KDIR 2010 - Proceedings of the International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval (pp 432-437)
- Improving Domain-specific Entity Recognition with Automatic Term Recognition and Feature Extraction.. LREC
- A Random Graph Walk based Approach to Compute Semantic Relatedness Using Knowledge from Wikipedia. Language Resources and Evaluation
- Semantic Relatedness Approach for Named Entity Disambiguation. Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 91 (pp 137-148). Padua, Italy, 28 January 2010 - 29 January 2010.
- Graph-based Semantic Relatedness for Named Entity Disambiguation. Proceedings of S3T 2009: International Conference on Software, Services and Semantic Technologies, 28-29 October 2009, Sofia, Bulgaria (pp 13-20-13-20)
- Too Many Mammals: Improving the Diversity of Automatically Recognized Terms. Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing
- A Novel Approach to Automatic Gazetteer Generation using Wikipedia. Proceedings of the ACL’09 Workshop on Collaboratively Constructed Semantic Resources
- Issues in learning an ontology from text. BMC Bioinformatics, Vol. 10(SUPPL. 5) View this article in WRRO
- When ontology and reality collide: the Archaeotools project, facetted classification and natural language processing in an archaeological context.. 36th Annual Conference on Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology On the Road to Reconstructing the Past
- A Comparative Evaluation of Term Recognition Algorithms.. LREC
- Dynamic Iterative Ontology Learning. Proceedings of Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing 2007 (RANLP-07)
- WIT: Web People Search Disambiguation using Random Walks. Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluations (Semeval 2007),
- Mining Equivalent Relations from Linked Data. http://aclweb.org/anthology/P/P13/P13-2052.pdf. Sofia, Bulgaria, 4 August 2013 - 9 August 2013.
- Statistical Knowledge Patterns: Identifying Synonymous Relations in Large Linked Datasets. International Semantic Web Conference ISWC 2013. Sydney, Australia, 21 October 2013 - 25 October 2013.
- Research group
Current PhD students
- Abdulkareem Alqusair: Product category extraction and linking in the area of semantic web
- Daisy Da Moura Semedo: Mining health information on the Social Web: towards an understanding of the influence of social media on public healthcare
- Omaima Fallatah: Mapping and aligning large Knowledge Bases
- Paul Fenn: Social Media as a tool to enhance Higher Education learning and teaching experiences
- Jenny Hayes:
- Phil Webster: Semantic Web For Knowledge Management
- Zhixue Zhao: Learning from unbalanced data and limited data for automated hate speech detection
- Teaching interests
I currently contribute to ‘Information Systems Project Management’ and ‘Researching Social Media’ modules, both are taught across a range of MSc programs. I also supervise dissertation students from various MSc programs.
As a computer scientist I also taught subjects on programming, database design and implementation, system analysis and design, and computer architectures.
- Professional activities
Journal and conference reviewing
- European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2020, CORE Rank A)
- European Semantic Web Conference (CORE Rank A), every year between 2014-2020 International Semantic Web Conference (CORE Rank A), every year between 2014 and 2020
- International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (CORE Rank B), 2014, 16, 18, 20
- The Web Conference (CORE Rank A), every year between 2018 and 2020
- ACM SIGIR Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval, 2018, 2019
- Semantic Web Journal
- Frontiers of Computer Science
- IEEE Transactions on Data and Knowledge Engineering
- ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data
- Information Processing and Management
- Computational Intelligence
- Online Information Review
- IEEE Access
- Crime Science
- User Modelling and User Adapted Interaction
- ICT Express
- Peer J Computer Science
- Computers in Human Behaviour