Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
Title: "Investigating the Role of Social Media in Supporting International Students’ Transition to Study in the UK"
I hold a BSc in Information Systems from Imam Mohammad Ibn Saud Islamic University (IMSIU) and an MSc in Information Systems form the University of Sheffield. After receiving my bachelor degree, I worked for a year and half as academic researcher at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) in Riyadh. Then, I moved to work as lecturer at Prince Sattam bin Abdulaziz University (PSAU) in Riyadh, where I was awarded a scholarship to pursue my master's and PhD degree. Currently, I am doing my Ph.D. at the Information School, University of Sheffield. My Ph.D. research revolves around international students' transition and their use of social media.
Since I started my PhD I have had the opportunity to participate as teaching assistant in a number of modules within the iSchool at Sheffield, including Research Social media, Digital Media and Society and Information Systems Modeling. I have also worked as a research associate with a team of researchers in a project aiming to improve the explanations of assessment and feedback for students and staff.
- Research interests
My research interests lie in the areas of Information Science, Data Science, Computer-Mediated Communication and Researching Social Media. I also have an interest in the concept of transition and more precisely in how the international students' transition can be defined. I am also interested in knowing how humans use technology to communicate and how culture and gender influences such use.
- Professional activities
- Alsuhaibani A., Cox A., Hopfgartner F., Zhao X. (2020) Saudi International Students’ Perceptions of Their Transition to the UK and the Impact of Social Media. In: Sundqvist A., Berget G., Nolin J., Skjerdingstad K. (eds) Sustainable Digital Communities. iConference 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12051. Springer, Cham
Conference proceedings papers
- Alsuhaibani A., Cox A., Hopfgartner F., Zhao X. (2019). An Investigation of the Physical and Digital Transitions of Saudi Students Coming to the UK. Workshop paper. In: CSCW 2019, Austin, Texas, USA, November 9-13, 2019.
- Alsuhaibani A., Cox A., Hopfgartner F., Zhao X. (2019). The role of Social Media in Saudi Students’ Transition to Study in the UK. Poster presentation. In: Innovations in Online Research Workshop and Network Launch, University of Manchester, May 2019.
- Alsuhaibani, A., Cox, A., & Hopfgartner, F. (2019). Investigating the Role of Social Media during the Transition of International Students to the UK. Poster presentation. In: iConference 2019. Washington, D.C., US, April 2019.
- Alsuhaibani, A. (2018). An Investigation of Sentiment and Themes from Twitter for Brexit-2016. Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Social Media (ECSM). Limerick, Ireland, 20 June 2018 - 22 June 2018.