Gianni Haoyu Xie
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
I am third-year PhD student in the Information School at the University of Sheffield. I developed an interest in the worker collaboration on the crowdsourcing platforms. I have made and engaged in a few research on crowdsourcing field, including the unintentional influence of using scripts on the crowdsourcing platform and the payment transparency on crowdsourcing platforms.
Title: "Improving Crowd Working Conditions with a Novel Collaboration System"
Workers on crowdsourcing platforms suffer from low working conditions, including low hourly income, difficulty communicating with job requesters and work stress due to lack of social belonging. Research has revealed the great potential for worker collaboration to enhance overall effectiveness and engage them more into the crowd work. This study aims to explore how crowd workers could collaborate and improve their working conditions with the proposed Computer-supported cooperative work (CSCW) system.
This system attempts to restructure independent microtask workflow into team workflow that assigns each member with a specific role to improve crowd working conditions. The ways of collaboration include team matching based on similar preferences, team communication with requesters, peer training and peer management.
Following the Design Science Research Methodology (DSRM), the system architecture will be designed and implemented following the reflections about interdependencies and sensemaking theories. It will then be optimised through a Delphi study. Finally, controlled experiments will be conducted, and the data will be analysed with mixed methods to evaluate its influence on crowd working conditions.
- Research interests
- Cognition study in collaborative game design
- Behaviour study of crowdworkers using tools
- Professional activities
Events and conference presentations
- BHCC 2019 [https://sites.google.com/sheffield.ac.uk/bhcc2019]
- BHCC 2020 [https://sites.google.com/sheffield.ac.uk/bhcc-2020]
- Crowdworking Symposium 2020 [https://pace.uni-paderborn.de/pace-phd-programs/digital-future/tagung-2020/program]
- HCOMP 2020 Doctoral Consortium [https://www.humancomputation.com/2020/papers.html#full]
- PACIS 2021 [https://www.pacis2021.org/]
Conference proceedings papers
- Xie, H., Checco, A., & Zamani, E. D. (2021). Design Principles and a Conceptual Framework for Crowd Teamwork Systems. View this article in AIS eLibrary: https://aisel.aisnet.org/pacis2021/214/