Postgraduate Research Support Officer
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
In my earlier career I worked in private and public sector organisations, including IT companies, local authorities, management consultancies and international investment banks. This included stretches as a video production assistant, graphic designer, desktop publisher, event manager, trainer, sub editor, copywriter, IT consultant and administrator .. and sometimes doing a combination of several at once. I've spent most of the past 15 years in tertiary administration, working in Melbourne Universities including La Trobe, RMIT and Swinburne, where I specialised in roles supporting research communities and pre and post award research funding processes. My role in the University of Sheffield is my first in a UK university.
ResponsibilitiesI provide administrative support for Postgraduate PhD study programmes in the School of Education (Mornings) and Information School (Afternoons), this includes:
- Admissions: Processing PhD applications and helping progress them through school review
- Organising induction of new students
- Providing advice and assistance with administrative processes for students and staff (eg, application for Leave of Absence)
- Tracking PhD milestones and help arrange confirmation reviews, submission reviews and viva examinations
- Help with reporting on student engagement and other postgraduate study related matters
- Supporting Postgraduate Research related committees and other activities
I am usually available on campus (for the Information School) on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 13:30-17:00 in room 217.