Dr Helen Buckley Woods
BA (Sheffield), PGCert (Sheffield Hallam), MSc (Sheffield), EdD (Sheffield)
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Research on Research Institute
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
My background is in information science, working mostly in educational institutions in the UK. My current role is at the Research on Research Institute (RoRI), an international consortium of funders, academics, and technologists. Before this, I worked for ten years at Sheffield's School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), leading information retrieval activities on numerous qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods evidence reviews. I am an experienced teacher and trainer and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I have a doctorate in higher education studies, awarded in 2019.
- Research interests
My broad research area is knowledge production and uses in higher education. This includes the determination of research topics and portfolios, research models (such as academic & practitioner co-production, single discipline, citizen science) and their uses, understanding & exploring different knowledge types, disciplinary knowledge practices and culture, research silencing and academic freedom. Methodologically, my expertise is in qualitative research and evidence synthesis. My research fits within a wider umbrella of ‘research on research’, that is research which addresses questions about research systems, culture, and knowledge production.
My thesis focussed on disciplinary differences in knowledge production in higher education and the effects of an increased demand for instrumental research. In my current role I have investigated how research is evaluated through peer review in scholarly publishing. I have also coordinated research to investigate new initiatives in grant allocation.
- Innovating peer review, reconfiguring scholarly communication : an analytical overview of ongoing peer review innovation activities. Journal of Documentation, 78(7), 429-449. View this article in WRRO
- Individual risk factors predictive of major trauma in pre-hospital injured older patients : a systematic review. British Paramedic Journal, 6(4), 26-40. View this article in WRRO
- Governance of intersectoral collaborations for population health and to reduce health inequalities in high-income countries : a complexity-informed systematic review. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. View this article in WRRO
- Incentivising research data sharing : a scoping review. Wellcome Open Research, 6.
- How accurate and effective are screening tools and subsequent interventions for intimate partner violence in non-high-risk settings (IPV)? A rapid review. Journal of Criminal Psychology, 11(4), 273-300. View this article in WRRO
- Should screening for risk of gambling-related harm be undertaken in health, care and support settings? A systematic review of the international evidence.. Addict Sci Clin Pract, 16(1), 35.
- Diagnostic accuracy of prehospital triage tools for identifying major trauma in elderly injured patients: A systematic review. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, 90(2), 403-412. View this article in WRRO
- Interventions to reduce the public health burden of gambling-related harms: a mapping review. The Lancet Public Health, 6(1), e50-e63. View this article in WRRO
- How accurate and useful are published UK prevalence rates of intimate partner violence (IPV)? Rapid review and methodological commentary. Journal of Criminal Psychology.
- What are the cost-savings and health benefits of improving detection and management for six high cardiovascular risk conditions in England? An economic evaluation. BMJ Open, 10(9). View this article in WRRO
- Measuring quality of life in Duchenne muscular dystrophy : a systematic review of the content and structural validity of commonly used instruments. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 18. View this article in WRRO
- Are current reporting standards used to describe health state utilities in cost-effectiveness models satisfactory?. Value in Health, 23(3), 397-405. View this article in WRRO
- Expediting learning through peer teaching: experiences with the Jigsaw technique. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 36(4), 378-382.
- A review of quality of life themes in Duchenne muscular dystrophy for patients and carers.. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 16. View this article in WRRO
- Experiences of living with varicose veins: a systematic review of qualitative research.. Journal of Clinical Nursing. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of Carotid Artery Stenosis on Quality of Life: A Systematic Review. Patient. View this article in WRRO
- Should Adults With Mild Head Injury Who Are Receiving Direct Oral Anticoagulants Undergo Computed Tomography Scanning? A Systematic Review. Annals of Emergency Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Carotid Artery Revascularisation: Systematic Review and Psychometric Analysis. Annals of Vascular Surgery. View this article in WRRO
- Themes that Determine Quality of Life in Patients with Peripheral Arterial Disease: A Systematic Review. The Patient - Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, 11(5), 489-502. View this article in WRRO
- Systematic Review of Carotid Artery Procedures and the Volume-Outcome Relationship in Europe. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 67(4), 1312-1312. View this article in WRRO
- The association between long-term conditions and uptake of population-based screening for colorectal cancer: results from two English cohort studies. Cancer Management and Research, 10, 637-645. View this article in WRRO
- Systematic Review of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Patients With Varicose Veins. Journal of Vascular Surgery Venous and Lymphatic Disorders, 6(1), 135-135. View this article in WRRO
- Systematic review assessing the measurement properties of patient-reported outcomes for venous leg ulcers. British Journal of Surgery, 1(5), 138-147. View this article in WRRO
- The Relationship between Hospital or Surgeon Volume and Outcomes in Lower Limb Vascular Surgery in the United Kingdom and Europe. Annals of Vascular Surgery, 45, 271-286. View this article in WRRO
- A systematic review of qualitative research into people's experiences of living with venous leg ulcers. Journal of Advanced Nursing. View this article in WRRO
- The evidence base for circulating tumour DNA blood-based biomarkers for the early detection of cancer: a systematic mapping review. BMC Cancer, 17, 697-697. View this article in WRRO
- Systematic review of patient‐reported outcome measures in patients with varicose veins. British Journal of Surgery, 104(11), 1424-1432. View this article in WRRO
- Systematic review of carotid artery procedures and the volume–outcome relationship in Europe. British Journal of Surgery, 104(10), 1273-1283. View this article in WRRO
- Gene expression profiling and expanded immunohistochemistry tests to guide selection of chemotherapy regimens in breast cancer management: a systematic review.. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 33(1), 32-45. View this article in WRRO
- Procedure Volume and the Association with Short-term Mortality Following Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair in European Populations: A Systematic Review. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 53(1), 77-88. View this article in WRRO
- Systematic review and qualitative evidence synthesis of patient-reported outcome measures for abdominal aortic aneurysm. British Journal of Surgery, 104(4), 317-327. View this article in WRRO
- Patient-reported outcome measures in patients with peripheral arterial disease: a systematic review of psychometric properties.. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 14(1), 161-161. View this article in WRRO
- Building the Evidence Base of Blood-Based Biomarkers for Early Detection of Cancer: A Rapid Systematic Mapping Review. EBioMedicine. View this article in WRRO
- Interventions to promote or maintain physical activity during and after the transition to retirement: an evidence synthesis. Public Health Research, 4(4), 1-354. View this article in WRRO
- The relationship between hospital or surgeon volume and outcomes in lower limb vascular surgery in Europe. HTAi 2016 Abstract Book (ISUU), 131-`32.
- Promoting and maintaining physical activity in the transition to retirement: a systematic review of interventions for adults around retirement age. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 13(1), 12-12. View this article in WRRO
- Implementing health promotion programmes in schools: a realist systematic review of research and experience in the United Kingdom. Implementation Science, 10. View this article in WRRO
- What is the evidence on interventions to manage referral from primary to specialist non-emergency care? A systematic review and logic model synthesis. Health Services and Delivery Research, 3(24).
- Preventing the progression to Type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults at high risk: A systematic review and network meta-analysis of lifestyle, pharmacological and surgical interventions. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 107(3), 320-331.
- Using logic model methods in systematic review synthesis: describing complex pathways in referral management interventions.. BMC Med Res Methodol, 14, 62. View this article in WRRO
- Referral interventions from primary to specialist care: a systematic review of international evidence. British Journal of General Practice, 64(629), e765-e774.
- View this article in WRRO What is the current state of practitioner research? The 2013 LIRG Research Scan. Library and Information Research, 116(37), 2-22.
- Corrigendum. Diabetic Medicine, 30(5), 632-632.
- Community-based dietary and physical activity interventions in low socioeconomic groups in the UK: A mixed methods systematic review. Preventive Medicine, 56(5), 265-272. View this article in WRRO
- Weight management during pregnancy: a systematic review of qualitative evidence.. Midwifery, 29(12), 1287-1296.
- EBLIP and active learning: A case study. Evidence Based Library and Information Practice, 8(4), 93-109.
- Interventions employing mobile technology for overweight and obesity: an early systematic review of randomized controlled trials.. Obes Rev, 14(4), 279-291. View this article in WRRO
- Can diabetes prevention programmes be translated effectively into real-world settings and still deliver improved outcomes? A synthesis of evidence.. Diabet Med, 30(1), 3-15. View this article in WRRO
- Implementing health promotion in schools: Protocol for a realist systematic review of research and experience in the United Kingdom (UK). Systematic Reviews, 1(1). View this article in WRRO
- Rituximab for the first-line treatment of stage III-IV follicular lymphoma (review of Technology Appraisal No. 110): a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 16(37), 1-iv.
- Where is the evidence for emergency planning: a scoping review.. BMC Public Health, 12, 542. View this article in WRRO
- Know your RO from your AE? Learning styles in practice.. Health Info Libr J, 29(2), 172-176.
- What are the barriers to primary prevention of type 2 diabetes in black and minority ethnic groups in the UK? A qualitative evidence synthesis.. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 93(2), 150-158. View this article in WRRO
- Incentivising research data sharing: a scoping review. Wellcome Open Research, 6, 355-355.
- Innovations in peer review in scholarly publishing: a meta-summary. Wellcome Open Research, 7, 82-82.
- Carotid artery procedures and the volume-outcome relationship in Europe: a systematic review. British Journal of Surgery.
- What is the current state of practitioner research? The 2013 LIRG Research Scan. Library and Information Research, 37(116), 2-22.
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of exercise referral schemes in primary care: a short report. Health Technology Assessment, 19(60), 1-110. View this article in WRRO
- Improving outcomes for older people in the emergency department: a review of reviews. Emergency Medicine Journal.
- Configuration of vascular services: a multiple methods research programme. Programme Grants for Applied Research, 9(5), 1-150.
Conference proceedings papers
- P86 Mapping interventions to reduce the public health burden of gambling related harms. Poster presentations
- 103 A Review of Reviews of Emergency Department Interventions for Older People: Outcomes, Costs and Implementation Factors. Age and Ageing, Vol. 49(Supplement_1) (pp i34-i36)
- 043 Should adults with mild head injury taking direct oral anticoagulants undergo CT scanning? A systematic review. Emergency Medicine Journal, Vol. 36(12) (pp 805)
- 047 A review of reviews of emergency department interventions for older people: outcomes, costs and implementation factors. Emergency Medicine Journal, Vol. 36(12) (pp 807)
- PROJECT HERCULES: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF THE CONTENT AND STRUCTURAL VALIDITY OF PROS USED TO ASSESS QUALITY OF LIFE IN DUCHENNE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY (DMD). VALUE IN HEALTH, Vol. 22 (pp S866-S866)
- PRM210 - METHODS USED TO IDENTIFY PATIENT REPORTED OUTCOME MEASURES IN VASCULAR DISEASES. Value in Health, Vol. 21 (pp S392-S392)
- Quality of life in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD): initial findings and protocol for a new preference-based measure. QUALITY OF LIFE RESEARCH, Vol. 27 (pp S170-S170)
- Selecting patient reported outcome measures for patients with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA): integrating systematic review and qualitative evidence synthesis methods. Quality of Life Research, Vol. 24 (pp 77-77), 21 October 2015 - 24 October 2015. View this article in WRRO
- TOWARDS COST-EFFECTIVENESS ANALYSIS OF THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING BENEFITS OF URBAN GREEN SPACE: A MAPPING REVIEW. VALUE IN HEALTH, Vol. 14(7) (pp A343-A343)
- EVALUATING THE COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF THE ADDITION OF RITUXIMAB TO CHEMOTHERAPY IN THE FIRST LINE TREATMENT OF FOLLICULAR LYMPHOMA PATIENTS IN THE UK. VALUE IN HEALTH, Vol. 14(7) (pp A445-A445)
- Opening the Information Literacy Toolbox [pre-conference workshop]. https://eahil2011.ku.edu.tr/education. Koç University, Istanbul, 5 July 2011 - 8 July 2011.
- Resisting the MOOC stampede – is there still a place for small-scale tailored online CPD for library and information professionals?. http://cilipconference2015.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Digital-Futures-3-July-14.45-1.-Buckley-Wood-and-Sutton.pdf. St George's Hall, Liverpool, 2 July 2015 - 3 July 2015.
- Evidence based library and information practice and active learning – a no brainer?. LIS DREaM event 5.. British Library, London, 9 July 2012 - 9 July 2012.
- Practical issues in identifying evidence for complex problems.. ScHARR and NICE Workshop: Identification of Evidence on Complex Problems.. Hilton Garden Inn, Birmingham., 14 May 2012 - 14 May 2012.
- Searching for public health problems. NICE Joint Information Day. Royal Institute of British Architects, London., 14 November 2011 - 14 November 2011.
- Activate your journal club. https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oz5tFmuY_qy7GnHpa_Tei-a3iuGXdAdjIJkYxk7ayac/edit?usp=sharing. University of Manchester, Manchester, 25 March 2013 - 27 March 2013.
- Multidisciplinary systematic review of the relationships between poverty and stress, low level anxiety and depression across the life course. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Understanding the experience and impact of living with a vascular condition from the patients perspective: a qualitative evidence synthesis protocol
- Relationships between recovery and relapse, and default and repeated episodes of default in the management of acute malnutrition in children in humanitarian emergencies: A systematic review protocol View this article in WRRO
- Manufacturing Collaboration – Can you teach researchers how to achieve impact?.
- Volume-outcome relationships in peripheral vascular surgery: a systematic review (protocol no. CRD42014014850 registered on PROSPERO).
- Searching for evidence for systematic reviews of volume outcome relationship in peripheral vascular surgery. 2016 HTAi Annual meeting, Tokyo Japan.
- Volume-outcome relationships in the treatment of AAA in Europe: a systematic review. Health Technology Assessment International (Tokyo).
- Volume-outcome relationships in peripheral vascular surgery: an overview of reviews. Health Technology Assessment International (Tokyo).
- Patient-reported outcome measures in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm – A systematic review. Health Technology Assessment International.
- Patient-reported outcome measures in patients with peripheral artery disease: A systematic review. Health Technology Assessment international.
- Preventing the Progression to Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults at High Risk: A Systematic Review And Network Meta-Analysis of Lifestyle, Pharmacological and Surgical Interventions.
- Patient-reported outcome measures in patients with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (HTAI 12th Annual Meeting 15-17 June 2015).
- Patient-reported outcome measures in patients with peripheral artery disease: a systematic review (HTAI 12th Annual Meeting 15-17 June 2015).
- Exploring LIS practitioner engagement with research: lessons from a UK case study.
- Co-design and shared delivery: working with partner organisations to meet the training needs of the health library and knowledge workforce.
- Towards cost-effectiveness analysis of the health and wellbeing benefits of urban green space: a mapping review.
- Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of the addition of rituximab to chemotherapy in the first-line treatment of Follicular Lymphoma patients in the UK.
- Selecting Patient Reported Outcome Measures for Patients with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA): Integrating Systematic Review and Qualitative Evidence Synthesis Methods (ISOQOL 22nd Annual Conference 21-24 October 2015).
Theses / Dissertations
- Knowledge production and disciplinary practices in a British University: A qualitative cross-disciplinary case study.
- View this article in WRRO Patient reported outcome measures of quality of life in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD): a systematic review of content and structural validity using COSMIN. HEDS Discussion Paper Series.
- Teaching interests
My teaching interests and experience lie in the study of higher education and research systems, evidence based practice and research methods. I have experience as a module leader (online & in-person formats), supervision of M level students’ dissertation projects, lecturing and small group teaching for M level and undergraduate students. I have also been part of the faculty for numerous training courses, such as delivering sessions on information retrieval for qualitative evidence synthesis (on the ESQUIRE programme), and training library and information professionals (FOLIO). I have also led other professional learning activities such as journal clubs.
- Professional activities
- ECR Faculty representative for the Social Sciences at the University of Sheffield.
- Member of the Society for Research into Higher Education